Soundgarden - Superunknown DLP coming soon

I sent an e-mail specifically asking why it costs so much and if they could provided details about the remastering and the pressing.

Yeah, the cost doesn't bother me so much. I'll gladly pay $50 for a reissue done right (e.g. Analogue Productions), but to not disclose any of the remastering/pressing details with such a high price tag is not acceptable and I would never blindly buy such a release.

I got this response today. Doesn't address the pressing or mastering question I asked though. Just the price.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to email Bravado.

Its a lttle high on the price I would agree but vinyl can vary in price. That's really not too expensive by today's standards. I paid around $49.00 for Mastadon's Crack the Sky on vinyl when it came out and I was working at a record store at the time.

180 gram vinyl is much heavier and way better quality than the floppy stuff from the 70's and 80's. Its also a double album which makes it more. Other than that I can't really tell you much more.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Bryan

I got this response today. Doesn't address the pressing or mastering question I asked though. Just the price.

Hello,

Its a lttle high on the price I would agree but vinyl can vary in price. That's really not too expensive by today's standards. I paid around $49.00 for Mastadon's Crack the Sky on vinyl when it came out and I was working at a record store at the time.

180 gram vinyl is much heavier and way better quality than the floppy stuff from the 70's and 80's. Its also a double album which makes it more. Other than that I can't really tell you much more.

Sincerely,

Bryan

Im not sure why exactly, but his response to the question posed pisses me off. Im certainly out on this one.

If I were you, I'd feel slightly insulted by that response.  180 gram, so what.  double album, so what.  There's plenty of those out there "by today's standards" that are really nice quality, everything from the jacket to the record, that don't cost quite this much.  One that comes to mind is Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet.  All of PT's stuff is done really, really well in vinyl format, and is a little more expensive.  I think I paid 50 shipped for it, but that was also shipped from the UK.

I know that they are just stretching it as far as they feel they can to maximize whoever's profits.  They're going to sell it for how much they think people will pay.  In this case, I begrudgingly caved in.  Right now I've justified it by saying RSD is looking to be slim pickins for me this year, so the added expense on this one equals things out.

Yeah, I'm not impressed with the response but it was just some low level customer service guy from "Bravado Merchandise" clearly this guy had no answers or power hence why he couldn't offer any information about pressing or mastering.

I'll cave and buy this. But I'll do it from amazon.ca or importcds and save on the shipping at least.

Hello,

Sincerely,

Bryan

This is total bullshit. I got my Wilco record, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, for $25, and that is 180 gram, is housed in a really thick cardboard sleeve, and comes with two really high quality inner sleeves. So why again is this so expensive?

that's a remix, not just a remaster.  I assume you're talking about Ten Redux.  With this being only remastered, all of the original mix should still be in place.

And to use THAT reissue as an example.... Pearl Jam Ten Redux. Two record set. 180 gram vinyl. Nice heavy sleeve. $16.99 when it came out in 2011. (Now around $20 or so, but still.)

And PJ and SG even have the same management company. Come ON. Cornell must have really dropped his life savings into that shitty Timbaland record.

Yes it's expensive. But how many people dropped $50 for the temple of the dog reissue? I'm not trying to justify it, but Christ this is a stellar album.

That at least had the added excuse of being an import. This is domestic and costs $55 domestically.

Hello,

Sincerely,

Bryan

The Mastodon Crack The Skye 2XLP is one of the absolute WORST offenders of this gouging issue of the year 2009. That was a Universal release, I'm pretty sure. Another asshole major label. In 2008 Mars Volta's Bedlam In Goliath 2XLP was priced between $42 and $48 regularly and that was bullshit. Just because there is precedent for bullshit doesn't make the same behavior NOT bullshit later.

This is crazy, I need this album, but really $70? I mean cmon, a few months back I bought a sealed deluxe Telephantasm box set for $85 and that included 3 LPs, a 7", 2 cds, 1 dvd, and a bunch of extras...

I wonder if something happened that Soundgarden is in dire need of money, or if this is just the record label trying to hype the 20th anniversary, while also trying to gouge fans with unreasonable prices?

The STP purple reish started at ~$50, now is down to mid 20s at amazon. Bide ye time ladies and gentlemen and hopefully this overpriced bullshit will come down to reality. May take a while, but there is absolutely no reason why this should be nigh on $AUD80 shipped. Shit, the Breeders LX massive box set thing was $80 from amazon.

I wish there was a way to find out how the proceeds are being allocated to the parties involved.  If, for example, most of the profit goes to the band, I have absolutely no problem contributing to that.  If most of the profit goes to rich label big wigs, I despise it.  Either way, like I've said before, to me this is an absolute essential to my collection, so I'm going to have it regardless.

By the way, how awesome is the new cover art?  I think it looks fantastic, better than the original imo.

I take In Utero as a whole different project, the label brought Albini back to the board, gave him control along with Krist & Grohl and you know you'd be getting something special and genuine from that. It was actually used as a sale argument by the label. If they charged whatever more (and they did), at least there was a reason behind, although one can argue if the final price was fair even though.

But all those recent MOV reissues (FNM, STP, Temple Of The Dog), on the other hand, were pushed out of reasonability pricewise... They are clearly profiting on recordings from an era when vinyl wasn't priority and became rarities during today's renaissance. Consider buyers in their 30~40 y.o. with regular income and aware that original pressings are rare to come across and usually object of eBay pricing, a reissue sounds interesting. But MOV and major labels don't mention what kind of remastering work was put onto those reissues, neither the bands seem active during the process, which totally put those releases into question.