The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation out May 14th

First Listen:

1.  It's an album by The Wonder Years.

2.  The parts where Soupy reaches as a vocalist were pretty hard to listen to.

3.  Nothing stood out terribly, but I was working while listening so I wasn't fully attentive.

But it's not as bad as many have said, and it's not as good as Drew kept assuring us of.

album is ok. I think "I Want to Sell Out My Funeral" is my favorite track on the album followed by "Devil in my Bloodstream". Nothing else really stood out to me, seemed kinda bland. Definitely didn't hit me the same as Upsides or Suburbia. Suburbia had the jams, Came Out Swinging, I won't say the Lord's Prayer, etc. I think I just had too high of expectations since Drew and everyone else praised this thing so much. Excited to see if this grows on me though and to see the songs live this saturday. Not writing it off, but as of now my least favorite of the 3.

But it's not as bad as many have said

i don't think anyone said it's "that bad."

compared to other pop punk albums, it'll be alright, maybe even pretty good.

compared to the wonder years' past stuff, it'll be disappointing.

compared to drew's (and the rest of the internet's) soon-to-be glowing reviews, it'll be terrible. it's all relative.

devil in my bloodstream has been in my head nonstop since it aired.

I like it quite a bit. Vocally I think it sounds good. I like the direction of this one.

I'm enjoying reading through the positive and negative reactions. It's wild seeing such a broad range of thoughts about this album. I kind of thought this album and The Story So Far's new one were a couple of the big pop/punk albums being released this year (there are of course others coming out that are highly anticipated, but these albums have has massive hype). I've heard a bunch of mixed reviews over both. I've enjoyed both of them.

the point I'm making is that everyone is so quick to judge an album (whether you think it's good or bad) so quickly - the album has been leaked for less than a day and people are already like "pssh sucks" or "omg it's the best thing ever" immediately without letting it really sink and shit.  

the point I'm making is that everyone is so quick to judge an album (whether you think it's good or bad) so quickly - the album has been leaked for less than a day and people are already like "pssh sucks" or "omg it's the best thing ever" immediately without letting it really sink and shit.  

Sorry everyone can't be an expert reviewer for Absolute Punk. Can you teach us how to properly review a record? 

I have listened to the album 4 times now. Trying to full gauge an opinion. I really do hope this grows. I think Suburbia came out at just the right time and is my personal favorite still but TGG is their most solid. As par as looking for stand out parts there are plenty for me personally. Lots of tracks I would listen to individually. This is however their least catchy album they ever done. They seem to be hitting the point where despite playing a style they are known for they want to be more than just pop punk. 

- I find it to contain their best lyrics
- least catchy of all albums
- Each half of the album is about equally as strong
- I personally like the closer but I can gauge why people wouldn't
- Production is really good but vocals have hit a new level of rasp for soupy

This album is very much Suburbia part 2 but in lots of little and fine details they show growth. The band also seems to put a lot of passion behind the writing. I think it transitions song to song worse than The Upsides or Suburbia but has the most energy out of the trilogy. 

​Personal assessment. Not even a review and no score attached. Its good. Honestly after listening more I think my initial remarks were a bit off. Its not groundbreaking just incredibly solid. Its basically a full improvement to the sound they generation with their last album minus the flow but in marginal and fine details. Overall the theme fits well and the album feels genuine. 

It contains some of TWY's best songs but I feel it will take more time to grow because of the how marginal the differences are between their last album. Its definitely not coast as the album bleeds passion. I do think they could of took a bit more risks but I appreciate the energy, the passion, and aggressiveness. I do think its their best album but its harder to notice from the perspective of the rate at which they have progressed. They went up a few blocks instead of a mile but never the less released a very solid album perfect for the summer of 2013.

im really enjoying this record.  reminds me of Saves The Day.  That change up they threw our way from "Through Being Cool" to "Stay What You Are"  

its the same band trying to define their sound a little better.

this doesnt sound as much of a pop punk record as their previous ones.  it grown up, its smart, its dark and angry and everything someone about to leave their late 20s and enter their early 30s should feel like.  confused and afraid of change. 

i didnt find it hard to grab some lyrics and compare them to my own life experiences.  soupy can turn a phrase like no other.

and... after only 2 listens to this record, I can tell it was meant to be heard LIVE and LOUD!  this is going to be a record that gets toured on hard.

keep up the great work TWY!!!!