Henry Rollins Says We're All Collector Scums

Thankfully for the rest of the world, however, their excellent records are easy to find in far less exclusive versions.

Well then who gives a fuck and what are you complaining about? If people wanna obsess about that kind of thing, then let them.

I love Henry's work but holy shit is he a whiny geezer.

EDIT: Whoops, tried to change the quoted name to Henry Rollins, apparently that is illegal.

Well then who gives a fuck and what are you complaining about? If people wanna obsess about that kind of thing, then let them.

I love Henry's work but holy shit is he a whiny geezer.

EDIT: Whoops, tried to change the quoted name to Henry Rollins, apparently that is illegal.

hahaha i was going to say I didn't say that.

Holy shit did he hit the nail on the head and I can not agree more with everything he's saying. I understand some people actually collect records... Like a hobby like coin collecting... Something I don't personally understand, but that probably is my stubborn nature of buying music to listen to, not collect. There's nothing wrong with either side of this though. I do detest people who flip records tho for the sake of making a quick buck, since it hurts the real fans who want to get the record just to listen to.

Rollins is totally spot-on. People who enjoy collecting multiple unique pressings are scum. They should find a more fulfilling hobby--like shitting on other people for the harmless hobbies that they enjoy partaking in.

Honestly, the idea of collecting multiple pressings only appealed to me as a teenager, probably because my scope of music was much more limited. Now I'm more than content to have a single copy, though I may make an effort to find a unique pressing if the cost is similar. The money spent on a second copy is better spent on a piece of music I do not have already, so it seems like a waste to me.

That said, why would I care whether or not somebody else does it? Looking down on somebody for the harmless things they do with their own time and resources and referring to them as "scum" is pretty pathetic.

i like rollin's black flag material and a few of his countless 'appearances' in various forms of media are amusing, and every now and then he does make a good point, but really he's just become a joke of himself. he likes to play the self aware intellectual card but all i ever hear from him in these sort of 'rollins says' pieces is him running his mouth making broad generalizations and drawing arbitrary lines like when someone collects too many variants and shifts into scum territory. absurd and self indulgent. a guy like jaz coleman is the real deal, a super intelligent guy with a lot of opinions who is still actually making music that he loves. i'm not even an advocate of 'celebrities' giving their opinions on things, but rollins takes this higher ground and yet does nothing but spew shit over completely inconsequential stuff. like sort of mentality in our culture breeds an obsession with collecting meaningless variants of things we are spoonfed? Why do we buy them even when we complain? He just chalks it up to a music scene or a type of personality and then proceeds to jerk himself off and call a day. or do his angry henry rollins act. or some parody of it. he's like a dancing hardcore clown but for some reason nobody seems to think so, i guess because he puts so much goddamn effort into trying to seem 'authentic.' 

rollins strikes me as the kind of guy who could easily spent 45 minutes formulating a page and a half response to somebody of the same basic 'you're a poser' shit just because he's so self obsessed with what people 'are' that he misses the point nobody is any single thing. 

I typically enjoy and agree with a lot of what Rollins has to say and rant about.  But honestly... who gives a shit?  Let people like what they like.  I'm not fanatical about variants by any means, but if that's what makes someone happy, who am I to step in and shit on their interests?  I'd rather be collector scum than someone who takes the time to cry about it.