The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

I was ok, but the blowing up the death star thing is so tired. The amount of fan boy service wanted to make me gag at times. Also thought there was some missed opportunities as far as fight scenes go. Why build up a unique, silver storm trooper and then make them get captured with no fight and just give in to their request to lower the shields, guess everyone forgot cause they made another nostalgia reference to the trash compactor scene and laughed and forgot. It was fine for what it was, but I don't have high hopes for being a proper successor. I also thought it was ridiculous that 2 characters who never yielded a light saber could go toe to toe with Kylo Ren, everything was just too smooth for the good guys, and the Han Solo death felt forced so one major thing wouldn't go as planned. i'll still check out the next one, but this did not meet the hype people made it out to be for me

I was ok, but the blowing up the death star thing is so tired. The amount of fan boy service wanted to make me gag at times. Also thought there was some missed opportunities as far as fight scenes go. Why build up a unique, silver storm trooper and then make them get captured with no fight and just give in to their request to lower the shields, guess everyone forgot cause they made another nostalgia reference to the trash compactor scene and laughed and forgot. It was fine for what it was, but I don't have high hopes for being a proper successor. I also thought it was ridiculous that 2 characters who never yielded a light saber could go toe to toe with Kylo Ren, everything was just too smooth for the good guys, and the Han Solo death felt forced so one major thing wouldn't go as planned. i'll still check out the next one, but this did not meet the hype people made it out to be for me

I can see how you'd be surprised at Finn (even though as you saw from the stormtrooper he battled at Maz's place, they get some hand to hand/melee combat training too), but Rey was no surprise to me. She's pretty badass with the staff she wields, and she has had to fight hand to hand/with handheld weapons her whole life just to survive.

Ren also isn't a master yet, still an apprentice, and I'd wager he hasn't had to use his lightsaber too often anyway. Luke holding his own against Vader in Empire is just as unbelievable. (if you watch Rey fight, she has a very similar fighting style to Luke's in that Cloud City fight, hiding a lot and using the scenery to her advantage)

I think some stuff with Phasma (silver stormtrooper) got cut, I'd enjoy seeing and "uncut" version of the movie at some point.

I agree that the "Deathstar" stuff was kind of silly. Thinking back on it though, that's kind of the Empire's whole thing, "go big or go home." Not only that, but it's a new group of people, so I can see them trying to go back and improve on old plans maybe. I had some trouble with the movie when I saw it, but as I think on it, some of the stuff I didn't like makes more sense to me.

I can see how you'd be surprised at Finn (even though as you saw from the stormtrooper he battled at Maz's place, they get some hand to hand/melee combat training too), but Rey was no surprise to me. She's pretty badass with the staff she wields, and she has had to fight hand to hand/with handheld weapons her whole life just to survive.

Ren also isn't a master yet, still an apprentice, and I'd wager he hasn't had to use his lightsaber too often anyway. Luke holding his own against Vader in Empire is just as unbelievable. (if you watch Rey fight, she has a very similar fighting style to Luke's in that Cloud City fight, hiding a lot and using the scenery to her advantage)

I think some stuff with Phasma (silver stormtrooper) got cut, I'd enjoy seeing and "uncut" version of the movie at some point.

I agree that the "Deathstar" stuff was kind of silly. Thinking back on it though, that's kind of the Empire's whole thing, "go big or go home." Not only that, but it's a new group of people, so I can see them trying to go back and improve on old plans maybe. I had some trouble with the movie when I saw it, but as I think on it, some of the stuff I didn't like makes more sense to me.

He did fuck up the Jedi to an extent Luke went into seclusion from the gravity of his failure. Many holes will be filled in with the next couple movies, but I'm not buying into the this being a great movie and I doubt rewatching it will improve it for me, it's fine but it was more sad nostalgia than a great new chapter for me

He did fuck up the Jedi to an extent Luke went into seclusion from the gravity of his failure. Many holes will be filled in with the next couple movies, but I'm not buying into the this being a great movie and I doubt rewatching it will improve it for me, it's fine but it was more sad nostalgia than a great new chapter for me

I mean, I don't think it was great, but still better than Jedi for me. Nothing tops Empire and the original for me, though.

I'm really surprised that so many people saw the kylo/finn/rey fights as "toe to toe". The fights were incredibly uneven, with kylo basically toying with finn the whole time, like a predatror playing with his prey, until finn manages to sneak a hit in, then kylo immediately destroys him.

Similarly with rey, she spends most of the fight running away from kylo, who is clearly just trying to exhaust her with maybe hopes of convincing her to follow his path. That is until she remembers she has magical powers, then it gets mary sue-ish quite a bit. Though by that time kylo is barely keeping himself together, apparently all the blood loss had some effect on him after all.

Kylo got hit like multiple times by both (only one good one by Finn). It should have been much more one sided if that ravine wouldn't have caved in he probably would have been done. Maybe this movie doesn't have Jar Jar, but JP from grandma's boy is a sorry excuse for a villain, his dialogue, his struggle, his attitude, and his overall wishy washyness at being a sith, even Darth Maul looked like less of a chump and he died in less screen time than kylo