i made an indiegogo to replace my guitar that was stolen

all i can say is that at least this isn't as bad as one aquaintance of mine; she quit her part-time job to do more unpaid photo gigs for 'exposure', and now she started a gofundme for new camera gear that she needs to 'move up to the professional level'. nothing was stolen, nothing horrible happened to her, she just straight up wants strangers and friends to fund new camera gear so she can use it to make more money.

Genius. Where do I send my money?

Shit my moods keep changing on this. Now I feel really sorry for how pathetic this dude's life is. He hasn't raised $1. He has no one in his life that cares about him. He can't post here again, but yet he won't delete the gofundme or even this thread. Next level pitiful.

I usually despise when a band does a kickstarter, indiegogo, etc, but reading Ronnies post got me thinking. How is this any different than the tip jar that bands put on their  merch table? Most often, it isnt even the headliner that does it but the shitty local band that has a tip jar or the oh so clever "beer jar".

I usually despise when a band does a kickstarter, indiegogo, etc, but reading Ronnies post got me thinking. How is this any different than the tip jar that bands put on their  merch table? Most often, it isnt even the headliner that does it but the shitty local band that has a tip jar or the oh so clever "beer jar".

The difference is that the band is working. This guy is going to school and working a part time job and we should buy him, not only a guitar, but it must be a $400 guitar for f*ck's sake!

I don't like it when bands do crowdfunding at all. Especially when they don't really offer you much in return, Like when Marriages got their apartment broken into and they started a campaign to replace their stuff and not really offering much of anything in return. I don't buy anything from those entitled a-holes anymore.

Well maybe the band did a good show and you want to give them something in return? Not exactly the same thing as asking strangers to buy stuff for you.

First post: Yeah you're on a record collecting forum while only being able to cover rent, food, Internet, and bills. Want some money? Sell some records.

Alternate post: You literally just said you need people to pay for a new guitar so you can relax and have fun. That is 100% entitlement.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but there are too many people actually fighting to survive that could use handouts before you do.

Shit my moods keep changing on this. Now I feel really sorry for how pathetic this dude's life is. He hasn't raised $1. He has no one in his life that cares about him. He can't post here again, but yet he won't delete the gofundme or even this thread. Next level pitiful.

I have these FB friends who are partners and live together and have a child together. They recently put up a GoFundMe in order for them to receive money, and she makes a post every day encouraging people to donate. Their situation? They're moving. The whole thing is to give them money to cover moving expenses. Haven't raised one dollar. You know why? Because it's complete bullshit. There are emergency situations where people might band together and empty their pocket change to help a desperate unfortunate soul, and then there's these fuckers who plan to move out of state for some reason, realize it's going to be expensive, then panhandle online. Of course, me being the total asshole that I am, every time she posts it I check it, just to see if anyone was sucker enough to do it.

Take responsibility for your own things and your own fortitude to get up when the world kicks you in the balls. Even if you need to BORROW money, that is not a shameful thing, because it is money given on the understanding that this will help you through a tough time and you will repay it when you can. Instead you're holding out your hand to just any friend, any acquaintance, any stranger, going 'Give me money? Anybody? I'll never pay it back.' And when someone asks why anyone should just hand you money, your response is 'Hey, at least it's not potato salad!'

I'd like to believe that it stays at zero because it's universally recognized as bullshit. It's a good lesson for the creators of those types of 'donation' boxes. Pay for frivolous shit yourself.

The way I see it is if you can get people to just give you money you'd be crazy not to ask.

It's super easy to not give someone money if you don't want to.

I think that if it's not appropriate or in good taste(like this OP) you'd risk looking like a complete narcissistic lazy sloth...but that's just me.

wanna donate money to someone who could actually use it?  

http://www.gofundme.com/Greg-Nichole?fb_action_ids=745349828913848&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_ref=undefined&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B974026162621027%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.shares%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%22undefined%22%5D#

played with greg's old bands a bunch years ago, fantastic dude, also used to run Vans for Bands in St Louis.  so close to their goal, but im sure no one will complain going over.  

For those that brought it up- I've done tours, doing merch for bands. With that said, you go out knowing you aren't going to make money, but you are going to make a lot of connections. Therefore, when you feel bad for not tipping the merch dude, don't feel that bad, because he's out there, knowing he's gonna be broke. I've been that guy, but the band still feeds me and pays me.