OUT NOW: Refused - Freedom

Onestly i liked refused for their music only and not for what they said in their manifesto or what they are saying now....I din't believe them before, i don't believe them now.....

For me it's like the RATM stuff.....Incredible first album (and boring music after that) with a lot of bla-bla-bla versus the system they are living in and making money in...

Anyway just my opinion...

Careful there, man.  You may slip up and slice yourself on that much edge.

How many colorways of TSOPTC are there?  Red?  Blue?  Clear?  Black?  You're making it sound like Refused records have never seen variants prior to Freedom.  When there's a bundle that features a beer cozy, towel, temporary tattoos, tote bag, sticker book, and patches... then we'll talk.

(And you mean to tell me that Refused don't put on the same kind of show they did 14 years ago?  Really?)

Regarding the producers; not sure what to tell you.  Times change.  It's been 17 years since their last output.  Until the songs themselves feature Swift and Spears, I'm not going to stress it.  Stranger things have happened in the music world.

I'm not on a Refused street team, or trying to pitch a sale for the new record.  I'm reserving appropriate skepticism and setting realistic hype.  You're welcome to prematurely write off the whole record based off a single that starts the entire album.  But considering how long it's been, there's no real telling what's in store with the record.  For better or worse.

Haha Street Teams. Takes me back. 

Careful there, man.  You may slip up and slice yourself on that much edge.

How many colorways of TSOPTC are there?  Red?  Blue?  Clear?  Black?  You're making it sound like Refused records have never seen variants prior to Freedom.  When there's a bundle that features a beer cozy, towel, temporary tattoos, tote bag, sticker book, and patches... then we'll talk.

(And you mean to tell me that Refused don't put on the same kind of show they did 14 years ago?  Really?)

Regarding the producers; not sure what to tell you.  Times change.  It's been 17 years since their last output.  Until the songs themselves feature Swift and Spears, I'm not going to stress it.  Stranger things have happened in the music world.

I'm not on a Refused street team, or trying to pitch a sale for the new record.  I'm reserving appropriate skepticism and setting realistic hype.  You're welcome to prematurely write off the whole record based off a single that starts the entire album.  But considering how long it's been, there's no real telling what's in store with the record.  For better or worse.

Gonna be edgy here, blah blah blah blah. I personakky have zero respect for people who preach something but don't live by it. If it isn't something you aren't going to be dedicated to politically or ideologically in 10, 20 or however many years, then shut up and don't say it in the first place. i get ideas changing and that's why I wasn't running around preaching about communism when I was 14.

Gonna be edgy here, blah blah blah blah. I personakky have zero respect for people who preach something but don't live by it. If it isn't something you aren't going to be dedicated to politically or ideologically in 10, 20 or however many years, then shut up and don't say it in the first place. i get ideas changing and that's why I wasn't running around preaching about communism when I was 14.

I get where you're coming from, and I have the same issue when it happens within a narrow time frame.  Just comes off as... hypocritical, I guess you could say.  And while it's silly to say that anyone - band or otherwise - are granted permission to "go back" on their ideologies after X amount of years, I still don't think it's heresy to shift perspectives as time goes on.  Reminds me of Godspeed touring with NIN a few years ago.  They were receiving so much shit because their early material carried that anti-government / anarchist / "fuck the system" theme... yet here they were, touring in luxurious buses and playing arenas.

I don't necessarily think of that as "selling out" in the least.  They've got families and priorities, etc. etc.  The moment they start branding themselves and selling their name, I'd lose considerable respect... but for whatever reason it just doesn't bother me.  It's like their artistic integrity is still intact, even if they're not as angsty about the government as they used to be.  I don't know, maybe I'm alone in that one.  I don't expect Refused to have the same fervor or stances that they had 17 years ago, but I also don't think that they lost all credibility because they turned to a decent producer instead of going DIY.  Ultimately, the music on Freedom will determine how we should really be feeling about the band reforming after all this time.  Who knows? - maybe they should've ended on a good note, and stopped while they were ahead.  It's certainly possible.  I'm just trying to keep an open mind and not fault them for being a little less adamantly anti-capitalism, this time around.

I believe this is everything so far...I imagine the White is probably out of 1000 but it didn't say anywhere.

Violet - 500 - KRM US Mailing List Exclusive - SOLD OUT

Gold/Black - 500 - KRM Euro Mailing List Exclusive - SOLD OUT

Yellow - 1000 - KRM Exclusive - SOLD OUT

White - ??? - Bengans Exclusive (Sweden) - SOLD OUT 

Clear - 1000 - Indie Store Release

Black - ???? - General Release

Tempted to pick up the hot topic TSOPTC, but it seems strange how the reissues a few years ago were 2lp and this one is a single...

That is weird but not unprecedented. Deftones' Saturday Night Wrist first press was released as 2XLP in 2007-ish but the 2011 or '12 reissue was single LP. That reissue was not specifically a HT exclusive although there was a HT exclusive color of it with a black variant that was available everywhere. Both were single LP though.

I'm interested in this purple reissue though. I wonder how it sounds.

While on the topic of TSOPTC pressings:

If anyone here has a good surround sound system (at least 4 channel), do yourself a favor and get TSOPTC on DVD-A in 5.1 surround. One of the most incredible things I've ever heard, it honestly feels like a whole new album.

Not sure who re-mastered it for surround, but they nailed it. The mix perfectly encloses you within the music and there are legitimately parts that startle me from the realness of the instrument placement.

While on the topic of TSOPTC pressings:

If anyone here has a good surround sound system (at least 4 channel), do yourself a favor and get TSOPTC on DVD-A in 5.1 surround. One of the most incredible things I've ever heard, it honestly feels like a whole new album.

Not sure who re-mastered it for surround, but they nailed it. The mix perfectly encloses you within the music and there are legitimately parts that startle me from the realness of the instrument placement.

I'll second this. And you can get it cheap on Amazon (mine was $5.57 shipped).

• 4 weeks later...