Most Popular Record Player: Technics SL-1200MK2 (according to Lifehacker)

1371185367423414374.jpg

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-record-players-1721432938/1722102477

I imagine if we compiled our own poll it'd look much different. Obviously Crosley would be the winner.

There were only 1721 votes. I think we need a better sampling of people. Also many people probably assume a 1200 is the best because other people tout it as such. I've never heard a record on one. I'm sure it's great (my lower end Technics is good), but it's a popular opinion because they seem so out of reach to some people. I bet 400+ of those voters don't have one.

Either way, I sure would love to have one.

pretty dumb poll if you ask me. Obviously there are many votes for Rega RP1 and the Pro-Ject because they are well-received and widely popular beginner/intermediate turntables that are not too expensive and you can still enjoy your records. In general asking for "the best turntable" is quite hopeless anyway.

Oh well.. I am still using my parents' old Dual turntable from the 70's and it's okay for my needs.

pretty dumb poll if you ask me. Obviously there are many votes for Rega RP1 and the Pro-Ject because they are well-received and widely popular beginner/intermediate turntables that are not too expensive and you can still enjoy your records. In general asking for "the best turntable" is quite hopeless anyway.

Oh well.. I am still using my parents' old Dual turntable from the 70's and it's okay for my needs.

I was under the impression that the Pro-Ject was more for 'advanced' record enthusiasts.

What specifically do you guys look for in judging a turntable.. just curious? I know the platform and tone are important but sound quality really comes down to your cartridge right?

I have Audio-Technica equipment. LP240 w/ 120E cartridge and I have no complaints, but I can't quite judge the sound quality yet because my turntable is set up way too close to my receiver and stereo system. It creates a pretty loud hum which is distracting unfortunately.

I've got an ATLP60 and a Carbon.

I think our boards are mostly Carbons, Crosleys, and maybe a collection of Rega/UTurn/AT ?

Very much depends where you take the sample from geographically, there are borough's of London where all you Will find is Crosley's covered in beard hair.

I was under the impression that the Pro-Ject was more for 'advanced' record enthusiasts.

Advanced is a very relative term when it comes to turntables.

I paid about $250 for mine at guitar center. I have a ghetto handle (basically a pin) operating the lift for it but hey it works and plays great!

I got mine at a pawn shop. Pulled it out of a DJ setup. They let me take just the turntable. I can tell that either the tonearm or the counterweight (maybe both) has been changed out, but it also had a $100 ortofon needle on it.

It is at the top because it was, for a very, very long time the industry standard. Now that DJing is not more than dragging and dropping files it's probably seen as a relic, but there we go. I had a Rega Planar 2 for 'normal' music and my Technics for dance music. Sold the Rega for a stupidly price as I needed room though.

I've got two 1210s and they are great. Heavy fucking duty.Yup they were the industry standard for DJs for pretty much all their life, even when I DJed at raves 5-6 years ago they were still using Technics. Now almost all DJs have moved on to CDs and controllers. I think I paid $300 each for mine used without a cartridge.