OUT NOW: If These Trees Could Talk - The Bones Of A Dying World 2xLP | Metal Blade

First time streaming & not a whole lot has stood out to me so far.  Most songs follow the same formula & gets tiring by the end.  I did really like Iron Glacier though.  Wish they would have expanded on the sound at the end of that song.

But, I'm sure I'll grow to like it as a whole more upon repeated listens (at least I hope).

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

First time streaming & not a whole lot has stood out to me so far.  Most songs follow the same formula & gets tiring by the end.  I did really like Iron Glacier though.  Wish they would have expanded on the sound at the end of that song.

But, I'm sure I'll grow to like it as a whole more upon repeated listens (at least I hope).

I agree about Iron Glacier.  That is a stand out track, but I also agree that it never got to where I was hoping it would.

8 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

The first half of the album feels very much like everything else they've done - that's not a bad thing, but I like the second half of the album a lot better. They're showing some growth there while still sounding like ITTCT.

i agree. second half was night and day from first. enjoyed it some. 

8 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

The first half of the album feels very much like everything else they've done - that's not a bad thing, but I like the second half of the album a lot better. They're showing some growth there while still sounding like ITTCT.

i agree. second half was night and day from first. enjoyed it some. 

2 hours ago, fizio59 said:

Thank you! I went with the last link, ended up being right below $40 shipped to Texas.

OK, my thoughts as a former ITTCT completist:

You know it's ITTCT right off the bat, which was nice, since I stated elsewhere that this could be ITTCT LP IV, and I would be happy.

With the non 4/4 time sig, I'm thinking 3/4 or 6/4?, something like that, I really get a TOOL vibe from Solstice...thinking part of "Vicarious" even though not in 5/4. I think it's the syncopation. Gumbo knows what I'm talking about and agrees 1000% in all caps,... I'm sure ;)

TOOL also appears heavily in Iron Glacier ("Vicarious" early on with the guitar picking and "Sober" chord changes the last couple of minutes), which is a good thing for me, as I think they TOOL are excellent musicians esp. Danny Carey; Maynard just gets under my skin. His voice is great, it's just him. OK, back to ITTCT...

For me the front portion is more what I wanted than the latter ...kind of loses me,but this is only a couple of listens. So after 10 listens,  if the latter portion has grown, I will come back to repent in ashes and dust. 

But overall, I'm relieved. A solid album with some great tracks. I wasn't expecting them to keep upping the ante like Caspian seems to be capable of doing.

edit: to clarify on the TOOL references, the interludes and last 2 tracks are getting better, and "you're welcome," Batman :ph34r:

Edited by drds89

8 hours ago, drds89 said:

OK, my thoughts as a former ITTCT completist:

You know it's ITTCT right off the bat, which was nice, since I stated elsewhere that this could be ITTCT LP IV, and I would be happy.

With the non 4/4 time sig, I'm thinking 3/4 or 6/4?, something like that, I really get a TOOL vibe from Solstice...thinking part of "Vicarious" even though not in 5/4. I think it's the syncopation. Gumbo knows what I'm talking about and agrees 1000% in all caps,... I'm sure ;)

TOOL also appears heavily in Iron Glacier ("Vicarious" early on with the guitar picking and "Sober" chord changes the last couple of minutes), which is a good thing for me, as I think they TOOL are excellent musicians esp. Danny Carey; Maynard just gets under my skin. His voice is great, it's just him. OK, back to ITTCT...

For me the front portion is more what I wanted than the latter ...kind of loses me,but this is only a couple of listens. So after 10 listens,  if the latter portion has grown, I will come back to repent in ashes and dust. 

edit: to clarify on the TOOL references, the interludes and last 2 tracks are getting better, and "you're welcome," Batman :ph34r:

Totally agree! I love TOOL and was surprised to have this Tool-feeling going on during the first few listens...but it never loses its ITTCT-ideantity!

8 hours ago, drds89 said:

I wasn't expecting them to keep upping the ante like Caspian seems to be capable of doing.

Well, for you it's "upping the ante"...I'm happy as sh*t that ITTCT isn't going the way Caspian is going...don't dig D&D and the horribly weird sounds, and find it quite boring in terms of melodies, etc... therefore IMO: new ITTCT > new Caspian

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I can respect individual opinions, and enjoying safe / stagnant post-rock is one thing, but... wew lad.

Totally fine with your opinion...I sometimes need a "safe & stagnant" counter (as you call it) to other things I listen to...doesn't change my opinion on the last Caspian record though!

5 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Eh, even if it's something I personally like, I can see people not liking the whole crescendocore thing

Yeah, the "crescendocore" component of the genre has been done into the ground.  Both earlier Caspian and ITTCT feature crescendos, sure, but I think both bands have evolved past it over the years.

4 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Totally fine with your opinion...I sometimes need a "safe & stagnant" counter (as you call it) to other things I listen to...doesn't change my opinion on the last Caspian record though!

That's fair enough, I guess.  No record will be able to please everyone.  Sometimes I think it'd be great to be absolutely blown away by every instrumental album ever released (read: the Gumbo Effect), but alas.  I suppose tastes and their maturation are strange like that.

2 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I didn't even want to reply to that in fear of a brain aneurysm. 

I figured you'd have words.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, the "crescendocore" component of the genre has been done into the ground.  Both earlier Caspian and ITTCT feature crescendos, sure, but I think both bands have evolved past it over the years.

That's fair enough, I guess.  No record will be able to please everyone.  Sometimes I think it'd be great to be absolutely blown away by every instrumental album ever released (read: the Gumbo Effect), but alas.  I suppose tastes and their maturation are strange like that.

Oh, I do, but I don't want to get into another Gumbo type conversation. Haha. I agree with your statement of evolution of aforementioned bands as well, and I'm glad they've done so. 

Dude, this album might be my favorite of theirs now.  I'm LOVING the more major-key explorations of the last half of the album.  Some of the guitar work is a little samey with the delay pedal riffing during the non-distorted parts, but the sound is awesome that I can never really get sick of it.  

Earth Crawler also has that sick, super simple descending melody that sticks in my head all the time.  Weeee... wahhhh.... woahhhhh.   

Also, did any of you guys get an email from EMP saying one version was delayed until the 8th, though?  I had a dude order the black/white marble for me and he's in Switzerland, and when I asked him on Facebook the other day, he messaged me back with that information.  I know I've only seen the gray show up, so was just curious if any of you guys also heard the same thing.  I want to see the black/white, because the gray one looks sooo much cooler, that I might tell him to sell it to someone else lol. 

29 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Let's call it "nostalgia" for rock/riffy music...

29 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Anything else would have been surprising... ;)

14 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, did any of you guys get an email from EMP saying one version was delayed until the 8th, though?  I had a dude order the black/white marble for me and he's in Switzerland, and when I asked him on Facebook the other day, he messaged me back with that information.  I know I've only seen the gray show up, so was just curious if any of you guys also heard the same thing.  I want to see the black/white, because the gray one looks sooo much cooler, that I might tell him to sell it to someone else lol. 

Only the black variant is delayed....

On the other hand, what you say doesn't make any sense: you want to see the black/white (which I posted pics of), but the grey looks cooler? This implies you have seen the black/white...

Edited by Sasan