PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

I like this forum way better when the 2 of you keep to the only actual circlejerk thread on the boards.

1. I never rated this album, or said AOTY. 

2. It's not about the penis joke, it's about A. how tryhard-edgelord it was, and B. just how misplaced and aggressive it was. No one said a word about people who didn't like this being losers or whatever, til Doman said anyone that likes this record is a cocksucker....

3. I don't count the albums I listen to each year because i think quality is more important than quanitity, and honestly I really see no value in listening to ten thousand new releases. There are genres in this world I wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole.

4. You came to a thread, where people are enjoying an album and called them circle jerk cock suckers, let me just reiterate who it was that "started" the disagreement.

5. If you think I don't want you to have an opinion contrary to mine, you can see my post just above in response to NapalmBrain not liking LP2 either. That's how I respond to people that don't try to act cool and simply express an opinion about music.

6. Both of your collections look like the perfect mix of 1/3 hot topic scene bullshit, 1/3 stuff you inherited from your dad's collection, and 1/3 stuff people on these boards or your older brothers told you to listen to. But, I don't go into the sublime thread and say you're all a bunch of Bradley Nowell butt bangers.

I've spent more time on this than I care to. The album is good. No where near AOTY for me, for the record. I barely listen to things that this board talks about, but this happens to be one of the few that actually do line up. Sorry for trying to enjoy it with other people that enjoy it :)

I wouldn't call this album emo in the least. To me its a direct extension of Owen with wayyyy  better instrumentation. Since I love Owen, this one makes perfect sense to me. I can totally see the people expecting LP2 to be what the name claims, but that's not the case so I understand the ratings/opinions

14 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I wouldn't call this album emo in the least. To me its a direct extension of Owen with wayyyy  better instrumentation. Since I love Owen, this one makes perfect sense to me. I can totally see the people expecting LP2 to be what the name claims, but that's not the case so I understand the ratings/opinions

Agreed. I've been listening to Kinsella stuff for over 10 years and LP 1 was important and relatable when I discovered it around 05 and LP 2 is just as relateable and important now. 

Also, I will say that the younger crowd who just got into AF during the reunion are not going to like this album for reasons stated by everyone else. 

3 minutes ago, rooks said:

I like this forum way better when the 2 of you keep to the only actual circlejerk thread on the boards.

1. I never rated this album, or said AOTY. 

2. It's not about the penis joke, it's about A. how tryhard-edgelord it was, and B. just how misplaced and aggressive it was. No one said a word about people who didn't like this being losers or whatever, til Doman said anyone that likes this record is a cocksucker....

3. I don't count the albums I listen to each year because i think quality is more important than quanitity, and honestly I really see no value in listening to ten thousand new releases. There are genres in this world I wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole.

4. You came to a thread, where people are enjoying an album and called them circle jerk cock suckers, let me just reiterate who it was that "started" the disagreement.

5. If you think I don't want you to have an opinion contrary to mine, you can see my post just above in response to NapalmBrain not liking LP2 either. That's how I respond to people that don't try to act cool and simply express an opinion about music.

6. Both of your collections look like the perfect mix of 1/3 hot topic scene bullshit, 1/3 stuff you inherited from your dad's collection, and 1/3 stuff people on these boards or your older brothers told you to listen to. But, I don't go into the sublime thread and say you're all a bunch of Bradley Nowell butt bangers.

I've spent more time on this than I care to. The album is good. No where near AOTY for me, for the record. I barely listen to things that this board talks about, but this happens to be one of the few that actually do line up. Sorry for trying to enjoy it with other people that enjoy it :)

1. Never said you did, just observed how "everyone" here seemed to. It was just an observation and I was surprised because it was so totally not what I had expected.

2. Nobody was trying to be "lol edgelord". Maybe it didn't carry well through text, but it was by no means supposed to be hostile. It's a joke, nobody actually called you a cocksucker at that point or anything. It was "lol everyone likes Kinsella" and is more something I said because everyone here seems to love him and just like Dom said, even other people or forums that like music don't care that much about anything other than LP1. It's a "VC" thing and I hadn't noticed the extent of it until then.

3. Nobody is just listening to listen, if I think something would catch my interest, be it lineage (this), genre, or whatever. It just so happened that happened a lot this year. I'm sure he'd be happy to link it to you.

4. See #2. All I tried to say is that it wasn't my favorite or what I was expecting and explained why that was.

5. Nobody is acting "cool". We were both hyped for release and let down. I had originally intended to ask why everyone was enjoying it (specifically, much in the way that Dom had explained his dislike...) to see if I was missing something.

6. Uhm, can we see yours? You don't have much room to talk from what I've seen, hell, I just saw you in the Brand New thread yesterday. That's fine, go for it, I like some of their stuff too, but you really don't have a valid point here. God forbid someone owns records released before 1990, not like anything was released before that is worth a shit. Also, I'm the oldest, so anything that I have heard are things I have stumbled across somehow or another. If you mean "older brother"-core being American Football type stuff, no shit I stumbled upon it, your older brother probably heard it because it was popular, and so did I.

I don't have the time, energy, or desire to continue this any further. Just wanted to find out what everyone else saw in the album. At the end of the day I don't give a fuck if anyone loves or hates it, but we should be able to discuss why it is that we feel how we do about it without fixating on one point of a comment and spinning it way the fuck out of control. All it really did was prove that there is a "circlejerk" that we had originally joked about. If someone went in the HT thread and shit on whatever new Verb the Noun album just came out this sure as tits wouldn't have happened, but God forbid someone question Lord Kinsella.

3 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Yes grab Doms pocket and hang on tight Rez. Sheesh what the fuck was this last page.

Oh I figured it out, just counted my 2016 digital library and I was short of 100. Damn.

I just jumped in because we were talking about this (the new album and what we thought of it) the other day, but I guess given what you saw it does kinda look like that.

My point isn't that your opinion is irrelevant if you haven't heard as much as he has, just that he is listening to new stuff and that it isn't like he came here, shit on it, and proclaims Lord Blonk as AOTY.

6 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Agreed. I've been listening to Kinsella stuff for over 10 years and LP 1 was important and relatable when I discovered it around 05 and LP 2 is just as relateable and important now. 

Also, I will say that the younger crowd who just got into AF during the reunion are not going to like this album for reasons stated by everyone else. 

Maybe that's it. I've only been on the hype train for a few years. I don't care if anyone enjoys it, but I didn't, and I don't think (thought I hope) it will change.

21 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Here, this summarizes all I wanted to originally say. Maybe I didn't articulate well, maybe VC was just being VC, but I am done. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Someone posted pics of the silver on Discogs

R-9229072-1477035871-3298.jpeg.jpg

R-9229072-1477035871-1059.jpeg.jpg

Completely unrelated, but is that the same house on the cover for both LP1 and LP2?

2 minutes ago, jhulud said:

That's a helluva bold statement. Geez.

:rolleyes:

That was my joke. I've observed a bit of a strange thing here where a bunch of people don't like older stuff because it's automatically "dad rock" or something. To be fair I guess, most of them probably live in the HT thread, but i is for sure something I noticed.

If anyone needs something, shoot me a PM, I don't feel like dealing with this thread anymore. Said I was done but for real now.

Edited by Holo

I just want to add I just spun ZZ Top "Tres Hombres" I <3 dad rock, but I do get his point I've browsed quite a few DF/Discogs and very few users have a large chunk of 80s or earlier pop/rock/r&b/whatever. What are you too good for T. Rex !?!?!

Edited by NapalmBrain

1 minute ago, NapalmBrain said:

I just want to add I just spun ZZ Top "Tres Hombres" I <3 dad rock, but I do get his point I've browsed quite a few DF/Discogs and very few users have a large chunk of 80s or earlier pop/rock/r&b/whatever

If I bothered to list out the hundreds of records my dad owns, I'd have a pretty sizeable pre-80s collection.  I listened to classic rock 60s-80s exclusively until I discovered Yellowcard in 8th grade and started my own path of music discovery that took me through emo, alternative, post-rock, rock, rap, witchhouse, industrial, screamo, hardcore, metal, stoner, electronic etc. etc.

I was not saying it as an insult, I was saying it as an observation.

4 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

I just want to add I just spun ZZ Top "Tres Hombres" I <3 dad rock, but I do get his point I've browsed quite a few DF/Discogs and very few users have a large chunk of 80s or earlier pop/rock/r&b/whatever

When it comes to this place, one could have a great Ramones (or any other punk band from the era) collection and still get shit on for not having enough stadium rock from that same era, even though this forum definitely leans to the punk side of the spectrum. 

I came in here to post my opinion on this album but decided that wasn't a good idea.

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Go for it! downvotes are gone man

I just think there are better options if you're looking to hear some mathy emo, namely Tiny Moving Parts. It was previously stated that the bands influenced by LP1 make better music than what was on LP2, and I couldn't agree more. 

3 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I just think there are better options if you're looking to hear some mathy emo, namely Tiny Moving Parts. It was previously stated that the bands influenced by LP1 make better music than what was on LP2, and I couldn't agree more. 

I get a little of that, for sure. It'd be a toss up, but any given day if I was given the choice between spinning, say, Algernon Cadwallader's Parrot Flies or AF LP2, I'd probably pick Parrot Flies. But, there's room and time for both, luckily ;).

2 minutes ago, rooks said:

I get a little of that, for sure. It'd be a toss up, but any given day if I was given the choice between spinning, say, Algernon Cadwallader's Parrot Flies or AF LP2, I'd probably pick Parrot Flies. But, there's room and time for both, luckily ;).

Oh, I haven't put LP2 away for good, don't get me wrong. I bought the cassette so I could drive to it and let it sink in :) Even though I'm a vinyl collector, I think music is best enjoyed in the car.