PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

Streaming this and I'm really glad I held out on buying a copy, this is a huge let down. Too polished, vocals don't do it for me, the instrumentation is way more forgettable and less dynamic. I don't think it could live up to expectations and it's not like the music is terrible but I don't think I'd play it again on my own accord it's a pretty generic emo album, maybe they pioneered this style but those they influenced sure did it better to me

53 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Streaming this and I'm really glad I held out on buying a copy, this is a huge let down. Too polished, vocals don't do it for me, the instrumentation is way more forgettable and less dynamic. I don't think it could live up to expectations and it's not like the music is terrible but I don't think I'd play it again on my own accord it's a pretty generic emo album, maybe they pioneered this style but those they influenced sure did it better to me

Give it another 2 listens

36 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Give it another 2 listens

5 minutes ago, highfives said:

No doubt.  This record has been on repeat for the last week.  At work, in the car, and at home on my table. 

I agree with Kevin, I don't like it any more now than I did the first time I listened and I think I'm about ten spins deep. I feel like when I'm listening to it I'd give it a 7 because it's pleasant and all, but every time I reflect on it I retract it to a 6. This is a serviceable emo album. The lyrics are often melodramatically exaggerated beyond the acceptable pre-eyeroll standard, he sounds bored half the time, and while the mathy instrumentals are pleasant, I realized that there's little progression like there was on the original record. 

Nobody else (friends I've talked to in real life + other sites and forums I browse) seems to think it's any good at all, so I guess my opinion kinda falls between everyone else and Vinyl Collective but I have a hard time grasping why VC spends so much time with Mike Kinsella's cock in their (our?) collective mouth.  It's baffling that this is literally the only place I've seen anyone give it a 10/10 and almost everyone has called it great or AOTY. Have your opinions and I'll have mine (nobody is influencing it, trust me) but it's just either a weird coincidence or a weird hivemind mentality going on here.

inb4 "you''ll get it when you're older" even though American Football is music written for 17 year olds

inb4 "but I can relate to it" well that's great that you can form a connection to the music, so you can enjoy it, but that doesn't make the raw content any better

inb4 "contrarian opinion" not really, I gave it 6 or 7

/endrant

People that like American Football 2 = people that liked the music on LP1.

People that don't like American Football 2 = the people that said they liked American Football because they're American Football.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also: lol at Doman saying people have "Mike Kinsella's cock in their mouth". You're pretty edgy man.

14 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

inb4 "you''ll get it when you're older" even though American Football LP1 is music written for 17 year olds

LP2 was written for us crabby 34 year olds,  married 10+ years B)

- Mike Kinsella Cock Smoker

Edited by Tommy

10 minutes ago, rooks said:

People that don't like American Football 2 = the people that said they liked American Football because they're American Football.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also: lol at Doman saying people have "Mike Kinsella's cock in their mouth". You're pretty edgy man.

AF1 is one of my favorite albums, and i'm 31 so it's certainly not an age thing. It's a lackluster song writing and production thing

10 minutes ago, rooks said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AF1 is one of my favorite albums, and i'm 31 so it's certainly not an age thing. It's a lackluster song writing and production thing

1 minute ago, NapalmBrain said:

Haha I'm just playing Napalm, I've got no problem with people not liking something I like.  There are things I'd change on LP2 (and 1 for that matter) too if I could, but I still enjoy it.  

I was more addressing Doman's attitude and how vindicated he felt when ANYONE else agreed with not liking the record.  Was a bit silly.

3 minutes ago, rooks said:

Haha I'm just playing Napalm, I've got no problem with people not liking something I like.  There are things I'd change on LP2 (and 1 for that matter) too if I could, but I still enjoy it.  

I was more addressing Doman's attitude and how vindicated he felt when ANYONE else agreed with not liking the record.  Was a bit silly.

I feel ya, it could be a grower for me but i'm not generally a stockholm syndrome listener. I can almost always tell on first spin if I like an album or not unless it's really oft kilter or a genre I don't listen to regularly. But I'm a sad, miserable bastard who listens to lots of emo

There's also a pattern of people posting AOTY in every thread because, ya know, they like the album. Even garbage like Norma Jean and Every Time I Die. I dunno why anyone would feel the need to point that out in this specific thread. Stick to making fun of meme bands like Kings of Leon or Greenday, that's good fun for all parties.

32 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I agree with Kevin, I don't like it any more now than I did the first time I listened and I think I'm about ten spins deep. I feel like when I'm listening to it I'd give it a 7 because it's pleasant and all, but every time I reflect on it I retract it to a 6. This is a serviceable emo album. The lyrics are often melodramatically exaggerated beyond the acceptable pre-eyeroll standard, he sounds bored half the time, and while the mathy instrumentals are pleasant, I realized that there's little progression like there was on the original record. 

Nobody else (friends I've talked to in real life + other sites and forums I browse) seems to think it's any good at all, so I guess my opinion kinda falls between everyone else and Vinyl Collective but I have a hard time grasping why VC spends so much time with Mike Kinsella's cock in their (our?) collective mouth.  It's baffling that this is literally the only place I've seen anyone give it a 10/10 and almost everyone has called it great or AOTY. Have your opinions and I'll have mine (nobody is influencing it, trust me) but it's just either a weird coincidence or a weird hivemind mentality going on here.

inb4 "you''ll get it when you're older" even though American Football is music written for 17 year olds

inb4 "but I can relate to it" well that's great that you can form a connection to the music, so you can enjoy it, but that doesn't make the raw content any better

/endrant

The VC hivemind/circlejerk is a strong thing. I basically have the same view of it you do except for the fact I'd knock each of your number ratings down by one. I was told I'd be getting American Football LP 2, but we instead got Owen LP 352 with a bit more interesting instrumentals and at times cringe worthy lyrics. What made the first one to me was the music. The vocals were drowned out in the mix, and the band instead focused more on a progressive/mathy/almost post rock leaning at times sound. All of the melodies have stuck with me, and did after just a listen or two. This one on the other hand, I have already listened to 5 or 6 times and just don't like. I don't even hear one track that compares to the weakest track on LP1.  

You guys can like it, I don't give a shit, but it won't change the fact that i was let down and that this doesn't hold a candle to the original material in any way that I can see. I really wanted to like it too.

16 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Cool, we have a teenager who wasn't even born when the first record came out telling us this is generic but is raving about an irrelevant new jimmy eat world record and than using genital references.

32 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

He beat you to it :/

I also get a kick out of people shitting on Dom's opinion of this not being AOTY when I can almost gurantee he's heard more new music that released this year than anyone else circlejerking here. Been an ongoing project of his this year and last I saw it was over 100 in just about any genre I can think of. It isn't like we're both just over here saying "this isn't AOTY because the new Blonk was".

Just now, The Butcha said:

Opinions, man.

Yeah, it's totally cool that everyone has one. Everybody enjoys different music. I was just more getting a kick out of how circlejerky stuff can get here to the point there's kinda a "VC-core" that most everyone else doesn't give much of a shit about but everyone here loves.

To be fair, we totally all owed Kinsella a quick little suck after the first American Football, but I think we have long since passed that point. Even Owen is pretty damn hit and miss with me and I enjoy that kind of singer-songwriter thing a lot.

lmao wow 100 whole albums in a year, how nutso.

you 2 are hilarious. The first ones to get sad when someone goes into one of their threads and says "hey this band sucks!" and then come in here and try to do the same thing :rolleyes:.

2 minutes ago, Holo said:

Yeah, it's totally cool that everyone has one. Everybody enjoys different music. I was just more getting a kick out of how circlejerky stuff can get here to the point there's kinda a "VC-core" that most everyone else doesn't give much of a shit about but everyone here loves.

To be fair, we totally all owed Kinsella a quick little suck after the first American Football, but I think we have long since passed that point. Even Owen is pretty damn hit and miss with me and I enjoy that kind of singer-songwriter thing a lot.

Yah you're right. The bands you listen to are not AT ALL derivative of the midwestern emo scene.

also is this really how your generation talks? pretty gross, ya'll.

Edited by rooks

4 minutes ago, rooks said:

you 2 are hilarious. The first ones to get sad when someone goes into one of their threads and says "hey this band sucks!" and then come in here and try to do the same thing :rolleyes:.

1. I don't do that, or haven't in a long time if I have (can't recall)

2. I have it a 6 or 7, how is this equitable to saying the band sucks?

Just now, rooks said:

100+ 2016 new releases, not just albums in general. How many have you heard this year? It isn't a huge personal accomplishment but it is worth noting that he has heard a lot of shit to compare it with this year.

I can't recall one time I have gotten mad at someone threadshitting. It doesn't make a wit of difference to me. I may make my case and say "well, here's what I was impressed with, did you notice that? That is why I loved this" but don't feel the need to make everyone else have the same opinion. I am not saying that it sucks objectively, because nothing in music (quality wise) can be objective. Different strokes for different folks. What I did say was "here's why I don't enjoy it, here's why I enjoy LP1, and have your own opinion but I will have mine too". This is a board about music, we should be able to discuss it and disagree but as soon as someone says otherwise (not just here, all new release threads) there's an impromptu VC lynch mob formed.

This isn't the American Football LP2 thread, it's the LP2 circlejerk thread.  Neither of us blindly shit on it, we heard it a fair number of times and explained our opinion and that isn't any less valid than anyone who enjoyed it doing the same. Just trying to discuss the album...

Just now, DOMAN127 said:

1. I don't do that, or haven't in a long time if I have (can't recall)

2. I have it a 6 or 7, how is this equitable to saying the band sucks?

You both just came into a thread, about American Football, and said "you all suck Kinsella cock lol, bunch of circle jerk homos in here all liking the same band."

A little logic, or a little less edgelord would have been perfectly acceptable.

41 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Cool, we have a teenager who wasn't even born when the first record came out telling us this is generic but is raving about an irrelevant new jimmy eat world record and than using genital references.

If we're getting technical I was born when it came out and after a few listens the new JEW is about the same score, 6, but I can't deny the genital references. Sorry if I offended you.

6 minutes ago, rooks said:

Yah you're right. The bands you listen to are not AT ALL derivative of the midwestern emo scene.

also is this really how your generation talks? pretty gross, ya'll.

And midwest emo is derivative of xxxxx and xxxxx was derivative of xxxxx. It's music, of course things are influenced by what came before, it has been happening since music has been around. Derivative and generic aren't the same thing, and I just found this to be kinda "accepted midwest emo sound" LP. It isn't what I expected, and I don't enjoy the change. 

If you do, fanfuckingtastic, but don't jump on our asses for having a different opinion and trying to discuss it. Nobody said it was shit and you're shit for liking it. Hell, I think every time we posted about it we have added ***but that is just our opinion, if you like it, great***. 

1 minute ago, rooks said:

You both just came into a thread, about American Football, and said "you all suck Kinsella cock lol, bunch of circle jerk homos in here all liking the same band."

It was an exaggeration to make a point. You can't tell me that the Kinsella circlejerk here isn't a thing. And as far as logic goes, see literally everything else here. It was a joke we make from time to time, not some personal attack. Except for that literally one line it was a "review" or something, but instead let's focus on that one thing and disregard everything else.

58 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

/endrant

7 minutes ago, rooks said:

I like this band and think it's weird that before Kevin said anything nobody dared say it was under a 9/10 (except the one dude who cancelled his preorder, even though I disagreed with him too). I feel as though I presented enough logic as thy I think it's weird. I guess the lone edgy comment threw everyone off. My bad.

Edited by DOMAN127