PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yyyyyyyyeah. Again, opinions respected but as an avid MK fan I actually think this record, lyrically, is his finest in years. Not to mention the music is 10/10

Yeah, might just be the angsty teen still in me but this is hitting me on a par with At Home With...  in parts- the UK store had better start shipping their copies out soon, it's not fair that everyone else is getting it earlier!

1 hour ago, Vector53 said:

I actually decided to cancel my order. This album is just okay. It's not bad but it's not really bringing anything to the table that I feel compelled to return to again. I was actually really hyped for this album beforehand but maybe because I don't really listen to Owen records, I really wasn't feeling his voice or his lyrics to be quite honest. First single had me really interested but the rest of the album sorta blurs together.  The instrumentals were mostly great though. Not enough to make my Top 10 this year.

So you only keep 10 albums a year and cancel the rest?

I completely agree with anyone who feels like the vocals channel more Owen than anything else – which I already elaborated on in my initial impression – and I'll even chime in that they could afford to be mixed a tiny bit lower, if needed.  But with that being said... I don't know if it's the album's length, or its flow, or the melodies, or the general writing... but I really haven't been able to put it down.  It's gotten better and better over the last week or so.

Edited by Derek™

10 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I completely agree with anyone who feels like the vocals channel more Owen than anything else – which I already elaborated on in my initial impression – and I'll even chime in that they could afford to be mixed a tiny bit lower, if needed.  But with that being said... I don't know if it's the album'a length, or its flow, or the melodies, or the general writing... but I really haven't been able to put it down.  It's gotten better and better over the last week or so.

Yeah, I agree with the vocals. And I kinda wish they had more of those drawn out instrumental sections from LP1 in parts, sometimes the songs just end that tiny bit too early. But it's still just as moving in parts and the guitars sound even more beautiful - when the whole band comes into the I've been here before... line on Where Are We Now it really hits me. I think for some it's just a case of whether they can handle the Owen-ness of it, I know it's not for everyone. 

43 minutes ago, museummouth said:

So you only keep 10 albums a year and cancel the rest?

Nah, I rather spend my money on a record that I will actually play in the foreseeable future than get it and never feel compelled to play it. But hey, people gotta defend their purchases so I understand.

Edited by Vector53

3 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

Nah, I rather spend my money on a record that I will actually play in the foreseeable future than get it and never feel compelled to play it. But hey, people gotta defend their purchases so I understand.

You should re-read your last post, and maybe you'll get what he was (sarcastically) asking.

2 tracks in:

I'm probably in the minority here but as much as I love Owen, if Mike decided to combine American Football and Owen - which is kind of what has happened on LP2 - I think it would be some of the most perfect music ever.  Hell, you could even have LPs longer than 9-10 tracks if you added a couple of Owen-style acoustic ballads and a couple of LP1 instrumentals.  Shiiiit, it'd be incredible.

2 hours ago, coolio said:

I ordered a silver variant from the european store. Then it got cancelled because i'm in the US. Then I ordered again out of spite when copies were put back on sale. Didn't get a cancellation for the 2nd order. I'm still wondering how that will turn out. 

Same, I'm in the US too and it's been dead silent. 

2 hours ago, coolio said:

I ordered a silver variant from the european store. Then it got cancelled because i'm in the US. Then I ordered again out of spite when copies were put back on sale. Didn't get a cancellation for the 2nd order. I'm still wondering how that will turn out. 

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Same, I'm in the US too and it's been dead silent. 

Haven't had any shipping notification yet, I can post back when it comes if you guys want a heads up!

18 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Ordered this blind after hearing LP 1, haven't listened to any of the new stuff but I'm excited for it. Not familiar with Owen at all but if this is as good as everyone says Owen will be next on my list to explore. One week to wait and the anticipation is sweet as.

Listen to Owen