Kanellos

DEAFHEAVEN - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Maybe I’m alone here but I hear more sounds and experimentation on this record than anything they’ve done yet.  Not necessarily saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever done but I think it’s worlds different than re-recording Sunbather.

You're not alone. Some of these descriptions and opinions read like an alien describing music for the first time. 

4 hours ago, daegor said:

Guitar in first song sounds like alt-Christian praise and worship music.

LOL. i played this record for the first time the other weekend, cranked the volume up loud, and proceeded to get dumbfounded as the first track played. couldn't help but just start laughing. rolled my eyes at the voiceover and laughed even harder when the lead vocals hit the track. personally, the intro makes me want to open my heart to jesus and sway back and forth with my eyes closed and hands in the air.

nice to see that it's already sparking top notch internet commentary. wouldn't mind seeing them live again.

2 minutes ago, nick69 said:

There is no experimentation in this album. Nothing we weren't expecting Deafheaven to do at some point. The songwriting sits right in the middle of Sunbather and New Bermuda in my view.

Shhh sir they mean a type of experiment that vastly differs from our own... probes.

I enjoy this record and see it as a natural progression.  I could do without the first track, but it's not terrible.  It's just not what I personally would open a record with.  Maybe use it as a closer after a total banger of an album, but an opener, not so much.  I'll be seeing them at 9:30 tonight and am looking forward to it.