PO: Baroness - Stone (LP out Sept, 15 2023)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had my 'Shine' copy arrive on release day and honestly, they've nailed every facet of it.
The variant, artwork, layout and signed insert are all spot on.

Really enjoying the album so far and feel like it's only going to get better the more I listen to it.

spacer.png

I’d say that I like it overall, but there are a few misses on it for me. I haven’t really been able to get into the talk-singing that John does on Beneath the Rose and Choir. I like other bands that sing like that but so far it hasn’t clicked for me when he does it. Then there are a couple of the mellower songs that seem more like interludes than actual songs, so it makes it feel like there are only 4 or 5 actual songs on the album. It makes it feel kind of short. But, it’s growing on me. 

16 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

I’d say that I like it overall, but there are a few misses on it for me. I haven’t really been able to get into the talk-singing that John does on Beneath the Rose and Choir. I like other bands that sing like that but so far it hasn’t clicked for me when he does it. Then there are a couple of the mellower songs that seem more like interludes than actual songs, so it makes it feel like there are only 4 or 5 actual songs on the album. It makes it feel kind of short. But, it’s growing on me. 

I like this record and haven't really cared for much of their output since the Blue record.  Side 2 has a weird silent (very quiet) transition, but other than that, I find it to be a really enjoyable album.  The talk-singing didn't feel as awkward on the 2nd spin fwiw.  To your point, it does feel really short.  

This will definitely be a grower and I think that's intentional. Honestly it's the first Baroness record in years that doesn't make me sad. Like, emotionally sad because the songs are sad. It's a bit more of a fun listen in that way which I appreciate.  This one feels like a great mix of their old and new styles - and we get some pretty intense Baizeley growls, too. Album art is gorgeous, vinyl is heavy and the songs are really good. Thumbs up from me.