Smashing Pumpkins

I like them both. I'm excited for Monuments to an Elegy. 

People whingeing and commenting on their status' saying the old pumpkins are better need to move on and realize that only 25% of its original lineup is still there, and that bands change and evolve over time, even if their fans dont want them to.

And both of these songs we've heard so far is still 1000x better than half the shit we hear on the radio these days...

Excellent post! People can't make the same record over and over again forever, unless they are AC/DC or The Ramones but only the former is still at it, the latter can't because they all died.

At first I used to be a little down on the fact that the modern Pumpkins is just Billy with new people except when I realized the fact that Billy pretty much wrote ALL the songs himself, or with some help from the old drummer so when I think about that it doesn't matter to me who is playing with him in the Smashing Pumpkins. I really liked Oceania a lot and thought it was as good as some of the records everyone thinks were the best ones. 

I haven't heard the first song they released from this forthcoming album but this latest one sounded good to me. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that these songs beat out what's on the radio these days!

After playing the two new songs while also enjoying the reissues, I've come to the conclusion that the new songs are just not singles. They're good songs that'll fit (hopefully) on a great cohesive album. That's exactly how I felt about Oceania, which I still think is a great record, I just don't get in the mood to listen to it all that often.

The discussion around old SP vs. modern SP is overdone.

It's not a matter of expecting him to surpass or replay his greatest era, but simply to come to terms that although he puts tons of energy and honesty into it, he hasn't being able to be as brilliant as he was supposed to be. ZG is weak, the Teargarden EPs are outrageous and Oceania is pleasant listen, And then you get the reissues and they just make my point even clearer.

And no to say that Corgan doesn't deserve recognition: his better work since the old SP retired was TheFutureEmbrace, which BTW is the most significant departure from the sound he's being chasing for his new Smashing Pumpkins. 

Does anyone know if Zwan is (or has ever been mentioned) scheduled for reissue?

I know he detests the music and the members (at least he did), but it's some of my favorite Corgan-related material, and was so much better live (in 2003) then when I saw the Pumpkins (in 2007), so I have some good memories attached.

And the unreleased material? Man oh man - the stuff you hear on that DVD that came with Mary Star of the Sea was so promising. 

Does anyone know if Zwan is (or has ever been mentioned) scheduled for reissue?

I know he detests the music and the members (at least he did), but it's some of my favorite Corgan-related material, and was so much better live (in 2003) then when I saw the Pumpkins (in 2007), so I have some good memories attached.

And the unreleased material? Man oh man - the stuff you hear on that DVD that came with Mary Star of the Sea was so promising. 

The best was the pre-album version of Mary Star of the Sea - the one that didn't have Jesus, I attached to the front of it.

Man, there were so many good songs out of that era.

He also mentioned releasing the Stigmata soundtrack on vinyl during the campaign as well.  I fucking love that score.

i really like it. the only thing that's racking my brain is how basic and unexciting the drums are. i don't listen to much motley crue (see: never) but i was under the impression that tommy lee was a pretty great (heavy) drummer. even mikey had some great moments on the records. hearing the drumming on the 3 new songs makes me miss jimmy more than ever. 

i really like it. the only thing that's racking my brain is how basic and unexciting the drums are. i don't listen to much motley crue (see: never) but i was under the impression that tommy lee was a pretty great (heavy) drummer. even mikey had some great moments on the records. hearing the drumming on the 3 new songs makes me miss jimmy more than ever. 

No matter who's behind the drums, I will always miss Jimmy.

30 second clips of each song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vdfQpYllkY

this album might be the most diverse pumpkins output in a long time. it also really feels like what could've been the missing link between adore and machina, or at the very least, a followup to adore. 

again, my only gripe is the tame drumming, but now that i'm seeing more similarities to adore (with walls of guitars) maybe the jimmy-style drumming won't be as missed.

getting very excited but the clips really kinda feel all over the place and it's hard to judge.