I thought it was funny. Worth at least a comment in a thread that is built off of what people are doing every second of every day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought it was funny. Worth at least a comment in a thread that is built off of what people are doing every second of every day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It feels a little CLIQUE-y in here.

Common sense does not need to be elaborated on.

No really I'd like you to elaborate on this. I'm black it's part of my vocabulary, yes I understand it's not formal but I was speaking to him like i would any of my other friends so I'd really like to know how I was "making quite a fool of myself"

No i'd like to know how saying nigga makes me make a fool of myself. I'm very much interested in hearing this.

Because you obviously don't understand your own ignorance or care about the comfort of those around you.

I'm not even going to go into the racial undertones of the word that you are using so flippantly.

So I'm just going to assume you're a fucking idiot.

Edit: it's Eric? Never fucking mind

No i'd like to know how saying nigga makes me make a fool of myself. I'm very much interested in hearing this.

Because it's inappropriate and childish to use that word, even without the -er in almost any context. If it's being used to intimidate or try to make someone angry, there is no difference in the -a vs -er version, and if you're using it to indicate friendship, the people you are addressing it to in this case are not familiar enough that you should be using that word as a pet term of endearment.

If my buddy Curt was to say, "what's up, my nigga?" I would take it as a compliment, and a term of endearment. When you say it, not being familiar enough with me to use such a term, it comes across as foolish and pseudo-combative.

If we go into the argument of "taking back the word," then I still don't find it appropriate. For example, if a homosexual walked into a room full of people and said "what's up, faggots?" No one would find that endearing. In the same way, we don't find your use of a derogatory term that is sometimes used within a specific cultural group (of which many of us are not a part) to denote friendship, appropriate.

There are very few instances that word does not make you seem ignorant, and those instances are often private moments, not public, such as this forum.

Or, to quote Marty Keating, "Shut your mouth and stop spilling stupid all over the rest of us."

Please excuse typos and misspellings, I'm on mobile.

For an African American not to understand why or respect why people don't want the n world used around them is beyond mind boggling. Especially from someone who was so supposedly upset about ferguson and police brutality that they started a thread about it.

Because it's inappropriate and childish to use that word, even without the -er in almost any context. If it's being used to intimidate or try to make someone angry, there is no difference in the -a vs -er version, and if you're using it to indicate friendship, the people you are addressing it to in this case are not familiar enough that you should be using that word as a pet term of endearment.

If my buddy Curt was to say, "what's up, my nigga?" I would take it as a compliment, and a term of endearment. When you say it, not being familiar enough with me to use such a term, it comes across as foolish and pseudo-combative.

If we go into the argument of "taking back the word," then I still don't find it appropriate. For example, if a homosexual walked into a room full of people and said "what's up, faggots?" No one would find that endearing. In the same way, we don't find your use of a derogatory term that is sometimes used within a specific cultural group (of which many of us are not a part) to denote friendship, appropriate.

There are very few instances that word does not make you seem ignorant, and those instances are often private moments, not public, such as this forum.

Please excuse typos and misspellings, I'm on mobile.

Thanks for the polite response. I really appreciate it :)

And I was using it as a term of endearment within those previous contexts. I was using so that it would come across as though I wasn't attacking you or being antagonist just calling someone out on their shit. But I do see and respect the points being made. But I very much considered this one of those private friendly instances. So it is my bad for seeing it as such and I will take the points you made into consideration in the future.

And the F word is a different story completely. I never use it and I don't believe anyone should use it.

For an African American not to understand why or respect why people don't want the n world used around them is beyond mind boggling. Especially from someone who was so supposedly upset about ferguson and police brutality that they started a thread about it.

And the reason I was taken back by is because I see it constantly in the music I listen to, in the people I talk to on other forums and websites it's very much a part of my daily life and culture. That's why I was confused that someone was offend by it. And I don't have not not say nigga for me to care about Ferguson.

I think the problem here is a generational one if I'm being honest. I grew up and am very much a part of a generation that uses and throws the word around constantly so I've very much been desensitized to the previous meaning of it it while you grew up in a time when it was taboo to use it. Rocky spoke on this during his oxford lecture in a way much better than I can articulate here so I ask you refer to that. I very much believe that the word has a new meaning within the larger contexts of things and it's very much a non offensive one, at least in my personal experience. It was never my intention to offend and anyone just call someone out on some bullshit. So my apologies if I did

I'm never doing this cause it took me 4 hours just to do my Caspian collection, and that's without individual photos. Haha.

Hahaha yeah its going to be a process. I think I'm going to use a tumblr page for it. I'm really just wanting to do this for myself, but if anyone else happens to find it cool then they are welcome to look. But once my TT gets here I want to go A-Z down my collection and just rate everything about each record I have. Sound quality, artwork, the condition my record is in. Probably at least 8 or so different details I want to rate. Could also come in handy if I sell something I can just link that page next to the record so you can have a descriptive list of all aspects. This will take forever but could be a fun challenge and will pass some time for me. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic