Would you still buy records if you couldn't listen to them?

I think it's different to start a collection before you track down a table/speakers/amp, but I don't know what the point is in owning records if you're not going listen to them. There are other ways to support an artist without buying something you're not even going to get enjoyment from. I think Most (not all) bands/musicians want you to get something out of their music. 

I started collecting record with my dad when I was in high school and we had a house turntable, once I moved out in my 20s I took my records and would still buy some here and there but didn't get a turntable again for about 4 or 5 years. I always knew i was gonna get a turntable again but that can be a small fortune when you live on your own for the first time. Once I got my own I started buying more regularly.

OP presents a rather vague question. If you couldn't listen to the records now, or if you're unable to listen to them, ever? Did your turntable break down, or have you tragically and suddenly gone deaf?

If I were away from home or looking at a disabled turntable, I see no problem with grabbing limited releases or exclusive pre-orders then and there - at retail cost - instead of eBay, months down the road. I've personally done this, and I can say that I'm glad I did. There are a handful of releases I would've missed out on entirely.

If you never plan to buy a turntable, you should probably stick to MP3s, CDs, or cassettes.

No because I'm not a fucking idiot. Records are a slight drain on rapidly depleting resources as it is. I'm not going to continue adding to that to get next to nothing in return.