Remember when this forum was fun & friendly?

I will like this forum again IF AND ONLY IF someone buys me copies of the new RAD record and Western Problems by Future Virgins.

EDIT THINGER: Bonus points will be awarded if you get me that new Devo record collection thing. Also, this is now my VC  version of an Amazon Wishlist or something.

Guest realtalk

I agree with Flood.

Slightly unrelated note, it irks me when people refer to VC as a "community". That's a little too rose-colored-glasses.

It's just a message board.

Edit: how about some ducking CAPITALS flood?!?! ;)

whenever i recommend the board to people looking for info, i always issue a *IF YOU PLAN TO JOIN DISCLAIMER* to prepare them for potentially having their post(s) torn apart. i mention reading over all the rules etc. before posting, but you never know if one thing you say is gonna be thought stupid by other users. same goes with any messageboard really, but for one you actually want to be active in, and not just take what you need, it can be discouraging. 

As a jaded OG around here like flood, I have to agree wholeheartedly with him. Yes, I've been sometimes guilty of going in and perpetuating the assholeness that runs rampant around here, but the fact is that there are a few who make a sport of being assholes to others and create animosity.

Those days of everyone getting along and being nice are long gone. And that's kinda sad.  

I'm with Flood.

This. I remember not being constantly annoyed at posters here, back in the jts v1.0 days. Nowadays this place is one giant facepalm...

Oh well, VLV trumps this place anyway.

honestly when this board started it was a community.. and it was seriously awesome. Through it i've met and become friends with a ton of awesome people, become business partners with, and had a great time trading, buying and selling records with. Its possible to be civil and not be an asshole on the internet (amazing concept right?)

It seems like shit really hits then fan when someone asks an innocuous but tired or lazy question and people jump on them and, in turn,  the person who originally asked the question gets defensive and starts being all uppity. In that scenario, everyone is at fault. 

Otherwise, things seem downright jovial around here most times. I used to have the likes to prove it but they were taken from me. If anyone deserves scorn its the man who stole the likes. 

i've enjoyed my time here. i stay in the threads that interest me and stay out of the ones that don't, especially when shit gets stupid and juvenile.

i feel bad for new users who get ripped in the sales section because entitled pricks think it's funny to fuck with them.

perhaps a banner that says IF YOU'RE A NEW MEMBER, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION would do us some good. as intuitive as it seems to use the search function, it's probably the last thing on a new user's mind.

To be fair, some people in the sales thread deserve to be fucked with.

Theoretically, could a mod ban an aggressive poster to the Boobie Appreciation thread for a set amount of time, say an hour? That's probably enough time for them to take care of their, um, angst, and then become a productive member of the board again. Everyone wins!

Except for folks who take issue with the objectification of women. 

I've noticed an onslaught of rude and just unappreciative comments in the last 6 months.  I would absolutely love to call these f*ckers out and embarrass each one individually, but it would just add to the bullshit comments and malicious content that this thread absolutely DOES NOT NEED.

I try to counter the shittiness with a couple free record threads or contests every couple of months and I think we all appreciate when nice things are said and backed up. 

If everyone could just do their part and be a GOOD PERSON, this community would be such a better place.  Quit hiding behind your user names, IP addresses, and starting tedious internet fights.  We're all here for one reason:

We enjoy music, the vinyl format, and talking about out passions.  Lets keep it that way.

I agree with Flood.

Slightly unrelated note, it irks me when people refer to VC as a "community". That's a little too rose-colored-glasses.

It's just a message board.

Edit: how about some ducking CAPITALS flood?!?! ;)

I disagree with the rise-colored glasses comment. I've been able to get in on records I never would have gotten without help from people here (metal Lillingtons box from 16RPM, PM'd tips from Obsen, record release show presses from numerous members at cost) and I've done the same for others. I think if you come at this without an attitude of elitism and simply use the board to exchange information, buy/sell, and converse with like-minded people, this CAN be a functional community. There are some folks on here that I consider buddies even though I've never met them outside of an Internet forum.

For the most part, I just ignore threads that I have no interest in or find redundant and let them fade into the oblivion of page 363 or wherever lame threads wind up.

Theres plenty of negative and positive around here. Depends which threads you go on. For every Brand New thread there is the Mixtape exchange thread, record giveaways, Secret Santas, and still plenty of VC meetups. Depends on what you feel like following and contributing.

I would also say significantly more people post now more than ever. No? It comes with the growth.

Also I'll be at the Restorations show in Philly tonight. Anyone here is welcome to say hi.

I think it might have to do with how the vinyl market and how people are viewing this as more then a form or listening to music but more of a hobby or investment, obviously people have always done that but it seems like words like "worth" and "value" pop up more frequently. Maybe subconsciously people are treating new collectors,I hate that word, like shit because they see them as competition for all the limited edition pressing that never stop.

Or maybe not

To be fair, some people in the sales thread deserve to be fucked with.

Theoretically, could a mod ban an aggressive poster to the Boobie Appreciation thread for a set amount of time, say an hour? That's probably enough time for them to take care of their, um, angst, and then become a productive member of the board again. Everyone wins!

Except for folks who take issue with the objectification of women. 

Agreed, a lot of people in the sales forum deserve every bit of backlash they get. I've been an asshole to people, but only when someone has the balls to buy a record for $11.99 that came out 2 weeks ago and then come in the sales forum and make a thread advertising they are selling it on ebay for $175.

If you are THAT stupid, then you deserve everyone to treat you like an asshole.

I dunno, I've been a member since '07 and I don't see much difference in the posters. I probably read less than 5% of the posts, In the 5+ years I've been a member I still haven't reached 1000 posts, so my opinion is probably worth a grain of salt. The biggest difference I've found, is there are a lot less members that are interested in the same music as me.

What the board needs is a common enemy to rally around, like Ronniethebear or Virgil.