The Concert Thread

I saw that their Cleveland show moved to a smaller venue. Looks like that happened in other cities as well based on the Ticketmaster page and several dates were just cancelled altogether. But $75? Are you sure that wasn't for both tickets together? Maybe they slashed ticket prices as well because most seem to be in the $30 range.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:40 AM, chiefwahoo said:

I saw that their Cleveland show moved to a smaller venue. Looks like that happened in other cities as well based on the Ticketmaster page and several dates were just cancelled altogether. But $75? Are you sure that wasn't for both tickets together? Maybe they slashed ticket prices as well because most seem to be in the $30 range.

RIP the Cincinnati stop. Such a small number of people must’ve bought tickets they didn’t even acknowledge any dates were canceled, just posted a new tour flier without a few dates.

Anyways, I bought tickets today for the Coheed show in San Antonio tonight primarily to see Deafheaven play 4 tracks. Pray for my sanity in a room filled with Coheads. They aren’t even gonna play the old radio hits… just all of LP 5 and then tracks from the new album. These guys are trippin.

Saw Sunny Day Real Estate on 8/18 for the first time since 2012. First show of the tour in Portland, ME. Holy Cow, they crushed it! Didn't even ramp up, they just went right into it. Started with some Rising Tide stuff, which I adore and played a nice range of tunes from their catalog. "Guitar and Video Games" tore the roof off the place. Slightly different line-up, but they didn't miss a beat. So damn good. 

Saw the Death Cab/ Postal Service tour this past Friday as well, in Portland. Also good, but hearing an album from top to bottom is great, but there is zero element of surprise. Death Cab played before Postal Service and that was a surprise. Overall a good show and glad we went. 

• 2 weeks later...

Caught Gaerea, Blackbraid, and Wolves in the Throne Room Friday night in Boston. Also Hoaxed, but I wasn't particularly enthused by them. Gaerea was the highlight of the show for me. Also, big ups to whoever is running sound at Big Night Live - from where I was standing, the mix was damn near perfect. Blackbraid was cool, and live they're a little more ferocious than they sound on record. WITTR was great, very theatrical, very ceremonial. Only negative of the night was having to dish out $60 for parking because I didn't realize the venue is actually right in the TD Garden complex, and I got hit with their "event parking" cost. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, No This Is Patrick said:

Tried to get tickets for When We Were Young... But that was completely stupid and a waste of time...

Every video I've seen from people who went looks like they're having a miserable time so I think you're better off. People can barely walk from stage to stage, 5-7 songs from most artists, extremely long queue getting inside the festival, the list goes on. Having every artist on every day rather than spreading it out is super lame too. It's basically a festival for people who haven't listened to new music in over 10 years and think it's a great opportunity even though most of these bands tour regularly.

12 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

Every video I've seen from people who went looks like they're having a miserable time so I think you're better off. People can barely walk from stage to stage, 5-7 songs from most artists, extremely long queue getting inside the festival, the list goes on. Having every artist on every day rather than spreading it out is super lame too. It's basically a festival for people who haven't listened to new music in over 10 years and think it's a great opportunity even though most of these bands tour regularly.

Yeah I'm not too upset. The price gauging was ridiculous too, when I finally got in, they had like tiers within the tiers... why do I have to pay $50 more for the GA that someone got 5 minutes before me for less?

And then this year with all the full album playthroughs? That's quite a few bands, and an album is what 40-50 mins? Unless they get more stages or something, I don't think that's going to go very well.

7 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I went this year and you could get from stage to stage very easily (unless maybe you were up in the pit for Blink/Green Day.  I was very happy with the set lists from the bands I saw.  No line to get or out of the venue as I even went back to my hotel mid day to freshen up.  Only 2 real line, right when gates opened and then for the band specific merch.  

As far as pricing, to see blink or Green Day was going to cost $150+ for each show, so basically I saw them both do full shows for the same price + a dozen other bands all day.

I'm for sure going to go again next year, but I haven't bought tickets yet.  There was a ton of tickets on the secondary market both years and if you wait you can get them for way under face value.

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

I went this year and you could get from stage to stage very easily (unless maybe you were up in the pit for Blink/Green Day.  I was very happy with the set lists from the bands I saw.  No line to get or out of the venue as I even went back to my hotel mid day to freshen up.  Only 2 real line, right when gates opened and then for the band specific merch.  

Crazy, this is the total opposite of what I've seen from other people's experience but good to hear. I'd love to see Cobra Starship and a few others but I doubt I'll make the trip.

Well, we just had our baby over the weekend, so my show-going is likely done for the year. But this is who I've seen since my last check-in back in June:

• Bryan Adams/Joan Jett
  • Weezer/Modest Mouse/Momma
  • LCD Soundsystem/Idles
  • NOFX/Descendents/Suicide Machines/Bouncing Souls (Punk In Drublic Fest)
  • Julia Jacklin/Black Belt Eagle Scout
  • Braid/Signals Midwest
  • American Football
  • Max Stern
  • Ben Nichols/Tim Barry
  • Fake Names
  • The Gaslight Anthem
  • Head Automatica
  • Ratboys
  • Chris Farren
  • Rozwell Kid/This Moment In Black History + a bunch more bands (WCSB Halloween Ball)
  • Into It. Over It.
  • Lucero

Best sets out of that batch were Weezer, Braid, Max Stern and Descendents, but honestly, none of the shows were bad (with the exception of Gaslight, there was just a realllllly weird vibe during their set both onstage and in the crowd).

46 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

Crazy, this is the total opposite of what I've seen from other people's experience but good to hear. I'd love to see Cobra Starship and a few others but I doubt I'll make the trip.

Gabe coming out and doing Snakes on a Plane with The Academy Is was the highlight for me this year.  I was very excited (but also surprised Travis didn't join them).

10 hours ago, stl_ben said:

Gabe coming out and doing Snakes on a Plane with The Academy Is was the highlight for me this year.  I was very excited (but also surprised Travis didn't join them).

Dope. I got to see Midtown at Adjacent and unfortunately the main stage had sound issues all weekend but it was still cool finally seeing them live.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:00 PM, No This Is Patrick said:

Tried to get tickets for When We Were Young... But that was completely stupid and a waste of time...

But got to see Living Sacrifice last night, so that was pretty awesome. Chatted with Bruce, Lance, and DJ afterwards too!

Man, I haven't seen LS play since the early 2000's...crazy to realize they're still active, and it seems with basically the same core lineup? Bruce's growls are legendary, and Lance is a beast of a drummer.

I was one of the olds at the Botch show in Boston last weekend. Shit was beyond words.

On 11/23/2023 at 6:55 PM, thebilljim said:

Man, I haven't seen LS play since the early 2000's...crazy to realize they're still active, and it seems with basically the same core lineup? Bruce's growls are legendary, and Lance is a beast of a drummer.

I was one of the olds at the Botch show in Boston last weekend. Shit was beyond words.

I've been wanting to see them forever, and they don't tour too much it seems these days, so seeing them pop up relatively close while I'm visiting family was a no brainer!

Yeah, the line-up has relatively been stable. It seems their original vocalist "DJ" has been going to recent shows with them as well, so he comes out and they do two old songs with him.

I felt like one of the younger ones at this show. Although surprisingly there were a lot of families and kids too.

• 2 months later...

First show of 2024 last weekend. Caught SUMAC with Scarcity and Forbes Grahm at Arts at the Armory in Boston*.

Forbes Grahm was cool; not really my thing, but I can appreciate anyone creating their own thing. Seemed like some free jazz type stuff on the trumpet, but run through some number of filters (I'm presuming ProTools or something, based on the two-Macbook setup on the stage) and effects. Definitely seemed like the kind of unexpected weird that Aaron Turner loves, so it made sense.

Scarcity played almost entirely new material from a record that Brendon Randall-Myers confirmed will be releasing sometime later this summer through The Flenser.  They're a full band now, and the new songs sound pretty badass. I wish they'd played more from Aveilut, but apparently according to BRM, those songs are insanely hard to translate live. They did close their set with the "III" movement, which was cool.

SUMAC was fantastic. Loud as hell, all three of them appeared to be really having a blast playing. They're getting even more improvisational/noisy these days; I'd estimate that at least 50% of their set was unidentifiable from anything they've recorded. 

Saw Thursday, Rival Schools, and Many Eyes on Friday. Thursday was fantastic as always. So cool to see Norman play with them. Rival Schools was such a treat as I’ve never seen them live before, and being a huge fan of Walter, man, I was so happy. Many Eyes was, uh, not good. Keith’s vocals were great, but the music was so boring. It was very confusing to hear his voice expecting ETID and hearing that boilerplate music. But yah, Thursday and Rival Schools ruled. 

Also, got tickets for Best Friends Forever Fest. So stoked on that! 

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

Seeing Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (first time since 2008 and fifth time overall) and Titan to Tachyons (Trevor Dunn band) tonight at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. Pumped!!

Well, fuck me. Went into a-fib before anyone took the stage and spent the night in the ER. I'm fine now, but really sad I missed one of the best live bands on the planet 😟

Haven't been to many shows since I last posted about Pool Kids which was August.

July:  Bayside, I Am The Avalance & Koyo at HMAC in Harrisburg, PA. Everything about that venue is amazing except for the sound.

October: Mouthbreather, Saltwound, Inferious and Belvebuth came really close to home which was surprising. Belvebuth was good if you like deathcore. Mouthbreather sounded like a completely different band. I love them but I wasn't enjoying it at all.

Kim Petras was incredible. She played 34 songs in 6 acts. Saying it was a full production is an understatement. However the opener was a "DJ" Alex Chapman. He's not a DJ. He pushes play, dances around, and everything was premixed. I wish I showed up late. For how much her show costs (which was justified based off her set) we should have had a real artist open. I have no shame trashing him. If I wanted to see something like his set I'd go to a local dive bar that can only pull 10 drunk people and have the same experience.

November: I'm gonna throw in comedy. Nikki Glaser and Monet X Change came to Rehoboth Beach DE for a comedy festival and I'm so stoked I have this close to home. It should happen again next year. Both shows were hilarious, free parking, really affordable. It was awesome. Hannah Einbinder cancelled for the second time in a year which sucks but I hope she can perform one day.

Periphery played a hometown show and actually played older material for once. They were good but they really need to use amps live. I think it would make a huge difference. The opener was an extremely talented  and very nice acoustic artist but I truly do not give a shit about acoustic music, especially covers.

December: Throwing in comedy again. I went to The Eric Andre Explosion. Really fun but was it worth $74? No. Thankfully I had Live Nation cash. Matthew Lesko was the surprise special guest which was really crazy and funny. I'll link below to unlock forgotten memories. DJ Douggpound was hilarious as always. There's a 30 minute special on Max that's basically the same thing as each show.

February: Silent Planet with Thornhill, Johnny Booth, Aviana and Nightlife. Again, I wish these bands would use amps! Silent Planet was dope, Thornhill was sadly underwhelming, Johnny Booth stole the show (they had Jeremy from Earth Groans as their sound guy and he's a very good producer which is why they sounded so good). Aviana was bad and I expected that. Nightlife is really sick, basically the successor to Issues so if you were an Issues fan I recommend them. Baltimore Soundstage changed the show and doors time 3 times. For some reason they thought a sold out show only needed 30 minutes for doors? Get it together.

Code Orange cancelled their tour with Gel, Grid Iron, Teenage Wrist and Soul Blind which sucks but I got to go to a hometown Jarhead Fertilizer show instead. They're always great. Inter Arma came through which was awesome. Crownovhornz played but I didn't watch their set. A really sick local band Pisscorpse killed it as always.

I only have 5 more shows and 1 festival planned for the year which kind of blows but we'll see what the year brings.