Can you play a vinyl that was signed with sharpie?

I want them to sign my vinyl, but will I still be able to play it.

Yeah! You'll still be able to play it! But it will sound like shit.

How can you not know how records wor...nevermind

Have them sign the label if you really want them to "physically" sign the record.

Think paint pens.

Yeah man. Sharpie will gunk up your grooves. Probably stick to the stylus, too. Don't do what Donny Don't does.

Gotta upvote great references.

Yeah man. Sharpie will gunk up your grooves. Probably stick to the stylus, too. Don't do what Donny Don't does.

I watched this episode last night. Great timing.

And I'm with Derek. Why be harsh? Especially for younger people just getting into records, they will have no experience with them and not really know why using a sharpie on the wax itself would be an issue. Like others have said, get the jacket or center label signed instead. Personally I'd rather have the jacket signed over the record itself any day, regardless of how it affects playback.

But I totally get the tendency to poke fun, and I have been guilty of it myself. So it's all good.

I got one signed at a single release before I started collecting, just bought it cos it looked cool and kinda regret it now.

Now I won't get any signed on the vinyl itself, unless it's one without artwork, then I'll get the centre label signed.

Enjoy they show! They were great when I last saw them. 

I like others would not recommend getting the actual record signed. I would get the insert or dust sleeve (like someone said above) signed. I don't really like when the cover is signed on records all that much. That's just a preference of mine though.

Also if you are going to have a "vinyl" signed with a sharpie make sure the sharpie and the record aren't black because then the signature won't show up. :P

Thank god there are so many fans of vinyl who:

a. Are clearly better than everyone else

b. Have enough free time to make fun of music plebs on forums

You guys be sure to let us know when you achieve musical enlightenment and can suck your own dick.

I had no idea the two were related.

Changes everything.

Thank god there are so many fans of vinyl who:

a. Are clearly better than everyone else

b. Have enough free time to make fun of music plebs on forums

You guys be sure to let us know when you achieve musical enlightenment and can suck your own dick.

I honestly think the OP has got off pretty lightly so far.