Post Your Record Storage Area

Finally getting settled into the townhouse my lady and I bought a few weeks ago.  This is my new set up.  Sorry for the crappy I-phone picture.  On the other side of the room there is 1 more full 2 X 8 full Expedit.  I'll post better pictures once I get some more light down in the room.

vBonTDu.png

Looks good. I haven't seen double stacked 2x4 Expedits before. I assume you just bought them as you needed them rather than buying the larger ones first?

Finally getting settled into the townhouse my lady and I bought a few weeks ago. This is my new set up. Sorry for the crappy I-phone picture. On the other side of the room there is 1 more full 2 X 8 full Expedit. I'll post better pictures once I get some more light down in the room.

vBonTDu.png

That looks really awesome. I wanted to do something like that but didn't have the wall space. I have 2 4x4's on one wall and then a 2x4 on another. I can't wait to see the rest.

Looks good. I haven't seen double stacked 2x4 Expedits before. I assume you just bought them as you needed them rather than buying the larger ones first?

These are actually 2 X 8's stacked and I did buy them as I needed them.  I thought about getting a larger unit but have seen posts on other boards where people packed larger Expedit units and they broke due to the weight.  I didn't want to come home to records all over the place, plus the 2 X 8's are so much easier to move around if needed / provide more flexibility.

He's saying the same, actually (double stacked 2x4, as in 2x 2x4) :)

But yeah, that room looks insane. I hope to one day come at least close to that. Congrats man!

Ah, I get it now.  Monday morning DDDDIIIIIRRRRPPPP moment.  And thanks for the compliments.  I stayed up until 4 in the morning on Saturday putting together 2 new shelves, setting everything up, and unboxing records.  Totally worth it.

Yeah, thats what I was going for.

Having two independent units definitely seems sturdier than the big shelves now that you mention it. That much weight suspended in the middle of a 4x4 unit or whatever with little to no support always seemed slightly sketchy. Especially after seeing a few of them collapse sideways online. 

Yeah, thats what I was going for.

Having two independent units definitely seems sturdier than the big shelves now that you mention it. That much weight suspended in the middle of a 4x4 unit or whatever with little to no support always seemed slightly sketchy. Especially after seeing a few of them collapse sideways online. 

I'm about to where I need to get another 2x4 or jump for a 4x4, so this has been running through my head for a while now. IronMonkey, how long have you had them stacked like that? I keep some stuff on my 2x4, but I can't imagine it supporting the weight of another full 2x4. Wouldn't stacking them vertical, next to each other, be a safer bet?

I'm about to where I need to get another 2x4 or jump for a 4x4, so this has been running through my head for a while now. IronMonkey, how long have you had them stacked like that? I keep some stuff on my 2x4, but I can't imagine it supporting the weight of another full 2x4. Wouldn't stacking them vertical, next to each other, be a safer bet?

I've done this stack method for quite a while with no issues.  I didn't even think about stacking them vertical, next to each other  (Where were you when I needed you for suggestions ;) ).....as far as being a safer bet, possibly?  I may rearrange it in the future but will leave it this way for now since I haven't had any issues and my back is tired of lifting records :lol:

These are actually 2 X 8's stacked and I did buy them as I needed them.  I thought about getting a larger unit but have seen posts on other boards where people packed larger Expedit units and they broke due to the weight.  I didn't want to come home to records all over the place, plus the 2 X 8's are so much easier to move around if needed / provide more flexibility.

Pretty sure the fool who had that larger Expedit unit break, built it the wrong way.  Congrats on your setup, looks incredible!

I've done this stack method for quite a while with no issues.  I didn't even think about stacking them vertical, next to each other  (Where were you when I needed you for suggestions ;) ).....as far as being a safer bet, possibly?  I may rearrange it in the future but will leave it this way for now since I haven't had any issues and my back is tired of lifting records :lol:

How do you have them anchored?

Are these being anchored or mounted on the walls in any way? Really not trying to bust your balls here but if not that setup could be super dangerous, especially if you ever have any children around. 

Are these being anchored or mounted on the walls in any way? Really not trying to bust your balls here but if not that setup could be super dangerous, especially if you ever have any children around. 

No mounts at the moment.  Didn't consider it since we don't have kids yet and it seems extremely sturdy.  My dad is full of good ideas so next time he's down I'll ask him what he thinks the best way to mount it is and implement something.

No mounts at the moment. Didn't consider it since we don't have kids yet and it seems extremely sturdy. My dad is full of good ideas so next time he's down I'll ask him what he thinks the best way to mount it is and implement something.

There should have been mounting hardware that came with each Expedit. I've used each kit on 2 of my Expedits and they seem to work pretty well. They are both about 3/4 full each.

No mounts at the moment.  Didn't consider it since we don't have kids yet and it seems extremely sturdy.  My dad is full of good ideas so next time he's down I'll ask him what he thinks the best way to mount it is and implement something.

Like someone said earlier they should have came with anchors but if you can't find them it should be easy enough for your dad to rig something together. With that said your setup does look really great man! Is that receiver a Harman Kardon HK-3490? If so I have the same one, love it.

Like someone said earlier they should have came with anchors but if you can't find them it should be easy enough for your dad to rig something together. With that said your setup does look really great man! Is that receiver a Harman Kardon HK-3490? If so I have the same one, love it.

Yeah, it came with the anchors but I pitched them.  I've never anchored the shelves before and didn't consider it until it was brought up today because everything seemed quite sturdy.  Yes, the receiver is a Haran Kardon HK-2490.  I love it too, except for those plastic feet on the bottom which have broken off, except for 1.  Have yours done the same?  I think I might just cut 4 dowels about a 1/2" long and glue them to the bottom as feet and put a felt pad on each.  I'm tired of junky plastic.

What did you have in mind? I'm always looking for new ideas for shelving. I can never find anything pre made that I'd like for a decent price. I made one to look like these. http://www.lpbin.com/

My idea involves shelves that are on pneumatic lifts so you can have like 3 rows that can be height adjusted for browsing (raised as needed) or storage (lower as needed).

Storage would like kinda like this:

___________1_____________________

|  ___________2_________________    |

|  |  _________3________________   |   |

|  |  |                                                   |  |   |

Yeah, it came with the anchors but I pitched them.  I've never anchored the shelves before and didn't consider it until it was brought up today because everything seemed quite sturdy.  Yes, the receiver is a Haran Kardon HK-2490.  I love it too, except for those plastic feet on the bottom which have broken off, except for 1.  Have yours done the same?  I think I might just cut 4 dowels about a 1/2" long and glue them to the bottom as feet and put a felt pad on each.  I'm tired of junky plastic.

I honestly never even gave the feet enough attention to notice they were plastic, never had any problems with them and seem sturdy enough to me. With that said I haven't really moved it around much at all since buying it.

Does anyone who uses cube-style storage use something like a non-slip shelf liner to line the bottoms? I'm looking into going cube but am a little concerned about slipping and wear and thought a shelf liner might solve both of those.

I used to use carpet before I got my expedit. I would think the non slip liner would make it a little hard to pull the albums out if the unit.

Here is a really average iphone pic of most of what's happening with mine as of about 2 months ago. It's a 4x4 expedit with the top shelf removed so I could fit a few things in.

I only use surround for movies, and stereo for records. I live in a share house(rent in Sydney is fucking crazy expensive), so this is in my bedroom

376ED8CF-617E-47DE-B92E-C07764B18160-257

Good eye haha. Yeah, that insert is pretty cool. Though I am selling off most of my AM variants now, that one is definitely staying in the collection. 

I sold mine off a couple years ago as well. Only variants I kept were the promo Acoustic, a couple mis-presses and my 3 favorite copies of RAR (first press, pink/white split, black/white split). Hated seeing an entire cube on my Expedit filled with the same fucking album. No regrets letting them go.

I still have a stupid amount of CD variants, prints, posters, stickers, and merch. It's bad.

• jhulud locked this topic