PO: THE MARS VOLTA De-loused In The Comatorium 2LP

So in reality, supporting labels that are selling overpriced "limited" albums is actually indirectly supporting flippers.

I don't think it works like that. For one thing, when I buy one, that's one a flipper isn't going to get. And for another thing, there's plenty of unneccessary reissues and repressings that sit on the shelf. Look at all those Newbury Comic represses that keep showing up, there's no point to them except woo more colors, nobody has to buy them and most don't because they're stupid expensive. This, however - this is a holy grail to a lot of collectors, which is shaping up to be a high quality no-regrets release. It's slightly more expensive, but how cheap can you make 180 Gram Colored Double LP Gatefolds?

There wouldn't be flippers if record labels produced reasonably priced runs and repressed as needed to keep up with demand.

Come on, man. If it were up to you, there wouldn't be limited records at all, and everything would be available all the time in plan black non-gatefolds so as not to drive up the price and encourage flippers. Some people might consider that heaven, but it kinda kills some aspects of the hobby that make it rewarding and personally gratifying. That would be the end of crate hunting.

Actually, this is exactly why I'm complaining about the price. :) If nobody who actually wanted to listen to the album bought it, it would just get eaten up by people hoping to resell it for a profit. And if again nobody bought the album [from the flippers] it would drop in price. 

So in reality, supporting labels that are selling overpriced "limited" albums is actually indirectly supporting flippers. There wouldn't be flippers if record labels produced reasonably priced runs and repressed as needed to keep up with demand. I've seen people here complain about the "vinyl bubble," but this is the kinda stuff that keeps blowing the bubble up more and more. 

Can you at least confirm that you've acknowledged the fact that the price is about double what it should be for US buyers because the production of this product is being controlled by a company that is based in another country whose currency (and standard for cost) has a much higher value than the currency that is used by US buyers?

I don't think it works like that. For one thing, when I buy one, that's one a flipper isn't going to get.

Not quite my point. If you refuse to buy a record for $45 from a record label, you [logically] would refuse to buy a record for $45 from a flipper as well. So what good is that record in a flippers hand if they can't sell it? $0. My point was that the only reason flippers and now even record labels can overcharge the shit out of albums is because people buy into hype (limited runs).

But I won't bother saying anything more, because McPherson123 just owned me and I look stupid. I did not realize this record was being made outside the US. Yet it's still more than I'm willing to pay.  :P

Not quite my point. If you refuse to buy a record for $45 from a record label, you [logically] would refuse to buy a record for $45 from a flipper as well. So what good is that record in a flippers hand if they can't sell it? $0. My point was that the only reason flippers and now even record labels can overcharge the shit out of albums is because people buy into hype (limited runs).

But I won't bother saying anything more, because McPherson123 just owned me and I look stupid. I did not realize this record was being made outside the US. Yet it's still more than I'm willing to pay.  :P

Ha! Just wanted to check. In every sense of what you're saying, I'm with you. Had this been a domestic US release and they wanted $45, I would have waited for clearance and I would be bitching about the price the whole time. Until the USD becomes stronger (if that ever happens) and while MOV is still based in the UK, we're at the mercy of the GBP which trollops the USD if they're putting out the records we want. I'm making an exception this time and buying ASAP because I've been waiting forever for a non-picture disc, black vinyl press of this record.

I would just like to point out that, back in the day (i.e. the 1990's and early 2000's), records WERE priced simply and cheaply on plain black vinyl. No 180 gram, no colored variants, and the "unlimited runs" of 10,000 or so meant copies were easy to find for about a year afterwards.

Today, most of those same "cheap" records (from Pearl Jam, Brand New, Coheed, and Dave Matthews, just to name four arbitrary artists) go for hundreds on eBay. Just because you make something cheap and easily available doesn't mean it still won't be flipped down the line.

And for those still complaining about the price, pretty sure the ORIGINAL price of Deloused back in 2003 was still $30-35. And that was a non-import press too.

I would just like to point out that, back in the day (i.e. the 1990's and early 2000's), records WERE priced simply and cheaply on plain black vinyl. No 180 gram, no colored variants, and the "unlimited runs" of 10,000 or so meant copies were easy to find for about a year afterwards.

Today, most of those same "cheap" records (from Pearl Jam, Brand New, Coheed, and Dave Matthews, just to name four arbitrary artists) go for hundreds on eBay. Just because you make something cheap and easily available doesn't mean it still won't be flipped down the line.

And for those still complaining about the price, pretty sure the ORIGINAL price of Deloused back in 2003 was still $30-35. And that was a non-import press too.

I'm quite certain that by 2005 I saw it on GSL for 15 to 20-ish. I'm not saying you're wrong and it was never in the 30-35 range. I'm just saying my last memory of it while it was in print was in a range $10 less.

This same argument happens in practically every thread on this board lol.

About to say the same thing ha! I actually think everyone makes some valid points but like everyone has already said I'm just glad to have a high quality repress of this album even if it is $50 which still beats the hell out of the prices it was going for. Considering it is an import, 180 gram and gatefold all included this album is worth the investment. Hope they do something with Frances the mute and maybe one day amputecture.

i never really got into this band but I noticed that they always had very few very long length songs on their LPs which is old fashion and neato.

I highly recommend you have a listen to some of those long, old fashioned, neato songs.

Here's a list of some of the best ones:

Cicatriz ESP

Day of The Baphomets

Tetragrammaton

Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt

About to say the same thing ha! I actually think everyone makes some valid points but like everyone has already said I'm just glad to have a high quality repress of this album even if it is $50 which still beats the hell out of the prices it was going for. Considering it is an import, 180 gram and gatefold all included this album is worth the investment. Hope they do something with Frances the mute and maybe one day amputecture.

If they could make a 3xLP FTM with the title track on Side A and have Cassandra Gemini split across two sides of the same disc, that would be a treat! And a nice standard black Amputechture would be nice as well.

Nobody complained this much about the exactly same priced Brand New - Devil & God and this album is about a trillion times better. What the heck is going on???

Brand New fans probably only own Brand New LPs and they all think they are worth like $500. I think it is pretty safe to say they don't even really know how much anything is supposed to cost. 

I cant believe people whine about a few bucks between sellers, this has been on my want list for a while almost pulled the trigger a few weeks ago for a copy at $200 glad I waited. Ordered silver from SRC and seems like a bargain for me as I have been waiting for a deal for a longtime on a copy.

PS: I just unloaded my Sealed Frances The Mute 4LP Glow Version :( going to miss it, but I see it now being repressed soon. Even though the glow is super rare I doubt it will increase in value anymore then where it is now ($300-350~). Thoughts?

I cant believe people whine about a few bucks between sellers, this has been on my want list for a while almost pulled the trigger a few weeks ago for a copy at $200 glad I waited. Ordered silver from SRC and seems like a bargain for me as I have been waiting for a deal for a longtime on a copy.

PS: I just unloaded my Sealed Frances The Mute 4LP Glow Version :( going to miss it, but I see it now being repressed soon. Even though the glow is super rare I doubt it will increase in value anymore then where it is now ($300-350~). Thoughts?

Glow vinyl sounds like crap so good on you unloading it to some sucker.

Glow vinyl sounds like crap so good on you unloading it to some sucker.

I dunno, I have Mae - Destination:Beautiful on glow and it doesn't sound bad.

I kinda suspect it's mastered from the CD, although I haven't cared enough to do research, but it doesn't seem like it's an effect of the glow necessarily. I That's the only glow one I have so I'm probably very ignorant on the subject