Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

There's some real "Old Man Yells At Cloud"-style grumpiness in this piece. I guess Tate thinks that if majors and garbage reissue "labels" set prices at $30+ for an LP, they are then giving more of that money to the artist. I don't know that it's necessarily surprising that he's that willfully ignorant about how the music industry works, but it definitely means no one should take him seriously.

Pretty much this. For example HT has recently upped their prices to $20. If you go see almost any one of those bands on tour you can grab the LP for $12-15 or even directly from the label. 

Also it pisses me of that these bands justify the higher price because they wanted to do something "special" (Just read in the matches thread). They even said they could have done a simple version at a lower price. Then why not do both versions and give fans a choice?

So this is the douche behind AP?  

0*PrRR8EwDbUc6W6UD.jpeg

Does he get his photos done at Glamour Shots?  I find it funny that the guy who is "punk" and supposed to be about the scene looks like some preppy frat boy who gets handouts from his parents.

Tate is about as Punk as this 'metal' band from the FedEx commercial:

On a more serious and less inflammatory note, I think Jason Tate is genuinely confusing what people are upset about. People understand that records cost money. People understand that record labels and bands are trying to make a profit. What people don't understand is why labels feel the need to jack up the prices to absurd levels. The margins on these must be insane. What sucks is that people (myself included) will pay these crazy prices and therefore labels are getting the impression that these are "good" prices.

I wish I had the mental fortitude to say "I don't need these Jimmy Eat World albums, I own the CDs and have a premium Spotify account," but I don't.

If I was a label, I would try to bring the cost of LPs down and forgo a larger profit margin. This builds the reputation of a label and constructs some brand loyalty. For example, Polyvinyl's prices are pretty fair most of the time and therefore, I'll take chances and buy LPs from their artists whose music I don't know very well. Brand loyalty and a strong reputation = greater consumer lifetime value.

Somewhat off-topic but not really, I just browsed through the AP.net forums for the first time in maybe two years and two things jumped out at me:

Their General Board has an uncanny resemblance to the VC main board.

The thread solely dedicated to Taylor Swift in the Music section is full of people way more obsessed than I'd ever be. Yikes.

If I was a label, I would try to bring the cost of LPs down and forgo a larger profit margin. This builds the reputation of a label and constructs some brand loyalty. For example, Polyvinyl's prices are pretty fair most of the time and therefore, I'll take chances and buy LPs from their artists whose music I don't know very well. Brand loyalty and a strong reputation = greater consumer lifetime value.

I think these people are looking for a quick profit right now over any kind of longevity. Banking on vinyl as a fad. 

The biggest reason I check AP is because it helps me keep up with current releases and band news relevant to my interests. I have decent discussions with some members there as well, but there's a lot of fucking awful shit there too. I'm pretty ambivalent about Tate, he says a lot of shit I disagree with, but also quite a bit I do agree with. No real hate for him though, I don't know him.

Jason Tate has turned more people on to good music than anyone who has written in this thread. He doesn't seem to "get" why vinyl should or shouldn't be expensive but that doesn't make him some sort of monster. His heart is in the right place.....his head? Not always. But I think he's done more good than not.