Video game OSTs

as honest as he can

By running an illegitimate order service through Etsy selling bootlegged records? I don't even care about the legality or morality of the whole thing, I would just love it if some of you would recognize that you owe this dude nothing and he doesn't deserve your undying loyalty. You think if he gets a C&D letter tomorrow you'll ever see or hear from him again? You think you'll get a refund or see the records you've preordered?

The fact that him saying in an email that he's "paying the composers" is enough for some of you to defend him is laughable.  Do you really think the composers own the rights to any of the music associated with Pokemon? Do you really think that Nintendo/Game Freak/Creatures or their subsidiary The Pokemon Company would even think twice about a request to press what, 50 copies(???) of a mish-mosh of pokemon related music, not mastered for vinyl, with unofficial, hand-drawn, graphics?

By running an illegitimate order service through Etsy selling bootlegged records? I don't even care about the legality or morality of the whole thing, I would just love it if some of you would recognize that you owe this dude nothing and he doesn't deserve your undying loyalty. You think if he gets a C&D letter tomorrow you'll ever see or hear from him again? You think you'll get a refund or see the records you've preordered?

Honestly guy, who really gives a fuck, you sound awfully butthurt over something which seems to have some underlying reasons, almost grudge-like, we are all here because we enjoy vinyl records, whether it's a band we like, a novelty, for a cause or just for "The Hobby", but constantly trying to bring down an independent artist who is giving people what they want that they never have had or maybe ever will have access to while trying to donate earnings to their rightful owners just comes off as desperate and lackluster, I just don't understand your point of being so pessimistic of something that in no way directly affects you.

I mentioned him paying composers and donating to charity as a response to the claim that he was making thousands of dollars off of these. I don't know if he is and I don't really care. Also I believe these are mastered for vinyl.

Yes and your local neighborhood pot dealer is reporting his income and paying taxes.

Honestly guy, who really gives a fuck, you sound awfully butthurt over something which seems to have some underlying reasons, almost grudge-like, We are all here because we enjoy vinyl records, whether it's a band we like, a novelty, for a cause or just for "The Hobby", but constantly trying to bring down an independent artist who is giving people what they want that they never have had or maybe ever will have access to while trying to donate earnings to their rightful owners just comes off as desperate and lackluster, I just don't understand your point of being so pessimistic of something that in no way directly affects you.

I'm expressing my opinion on a message board on a thread full of people's opinions. Most of you havent been around for the VC Co-Op, MTS/AFS and ETR screwing over countless members of this community and I'm trying to provide some perspective.

You're right, I have a grudge.

My native language is not english, and I didn't want to put more effort/time in typing the charity and giving money to the composers thing but here we are. I know it's illegal but if the artist gets money I really don't care. He doesn't do preorders so we are not getting screwed. Publishing is most of the time pure shit, those deals are most of the time not benefitting the composer. These would never have been made if this guy didn't do it. You want us to get burned it seems for I don't know what reason.

My native language is not english, and I didn't want to put more effort/time in typing the charity and giving money to the composers thing but here we are. I know it's illegal but if the artist gets money I really don't care. He doesn't do preorders so we are not getting screwed. Publishing is most of the time pure shit, those deals are most of the time not benefitting the composer. These would never have been made if this guy didn't do it. You want us to get burned it seems for I don't know what reason.

In fact I want exactly the opposite. Maybe its lost in translation.

Ok, I dont come here often (im the evil "bootlegger" btw) , but I was told about a few people here trying to purposely spread a bunch of misinformation and lies about what Im doing, so I have to set the record straight.

First off, I dont make any money personally off my records. I have donated over $6000 to various original artists who actually made the original music and raised over $3000 for the charity childsplay. I have spent almost $4000 on lawyer fees securing REAL licenses (not some bullshit "reprint a CD on vinyl" loophole), which is costly and time consuming as fuck to do, which is why doing it from the start would have been IMPOSSIBLE for me as I am not and have never been a rich man.

Every other cent from sales goes right back into making more albums. I havent even announced the other LICENSED works I have upcoming because I want to wait until they're actually ready to sell and ship to avoid all this retarded craziness of preorders and resellers because I want my stuff to stand on its own because of the quality and care that went into making them, not because people want to just have them cause they think theyll be able to sell them down the road. Im even making a website for them to make purchasing wayyyy easier and also stop people from ordering a shitload of copies just to resale.

Anyway, the main point is, I make these things as a fan of the MUSIC and the vinyl format, for fans of the MUSIC and the vinyl format. If you hate my art, cool, no prob. Doesnt hurt my feelings. Dont like my choices for music? Fine, dont buy my stuff. I make records that I want people to actually play and enjoy, not to have collecting dust on a shelf cause they're "collectable". But when people on here try and claim that Im just trying to make a quick buck off the current video game vinyl trend, its laughable, because for one, Im partly responsible for spurring it on and two how many "bootleggers" would even care to use actual rips from nsf, spc, etc files and have then have them mastered by a real audio engineer, out of pocket, specifically for vinyl? Or spend extra money for heavy paper stock jackets, or have custom etchings specific to the game, carved into the matrix info area? If I was concerned about making a bunch of money I could easily repress Mega Man 2 or Zelda, which would be infinitely cheaper and easier than investing a bunch of money into new releases and licenses, but I have respect the people who use their hard earned cash to buy my releases and I feel like I owe those people who support what Im doing, with keeping promises Ive made to not devalue their purchases.

And as for the people that hate that all the albums are based on classic album covers, there is actually a thought out reason for that. I feel like game music is looked down upon as not being "real" art. The classic cover idea is a direct statement that these soundtracks are our "classic albums" and being on vinyl, I thought it would be a cool idea to make a cohesive running idea, that took the most iconic album covers of the vinyl era and juxtaposed the two, to give weight to the music within as legit works of timeless, real art, and not just some nerdy nostalgic garbage. I know Im not a great artist or anything, but I try the best I can and if you dont like it, then I more than welcome you to come upstage me, cause I would fucking buy it cause I love having game soundtracks on vinyl, regardless of who is making them.

And also for the record for all the haters, the new label, which all the licensed stuff will be on, will all have original covers, not based on anything but the games, so you dont have to worry anymore about "parody" stuff. But they will be all original art assets (not all by me either), so if you just want a bunch of boring stock game art, you will still be very disappointed. Also fuck you, for being a boring piece of shit that allows companies to make the same tired ass stock garbage that takes no effort or creativity at all to make.

P.S. Sorry this is so long yall. But I had to say my piece.

Also fuck you, for being a boring piece of shit that allows companies to make the same tired ass stock garbage that takes no effort or creativity at all to make.

Yeah Spacelab 9 sucks too. I wouldn't talk about effort or creativity though mister kettle.