PO: Foo Fighters - Sonic Highway

While taste is largely subjective, if your favorite Foo Fighters album is not either Foo Fighters, The Colour and the Shape or There is Nothing Left to Lose, then you are just objectively wrong. 

Those are definitely the best. One By One is pretty great also. A shame this album is such a dud, Wasting Light was definitely a step back in the right direction after the last two.

Some thoughts after multiple listens:

- Not as good as Wasting Light, but not as bad as Echoes

- The 'look where we made this' lyrics feel contrived

- Subterranean is one of their best songs of the past 10 years (probably because it sounds a lot like something on TINLTL)

- I remember reading something where Dave said there would be nothing like Walk on this album. I disagree. I get a Walk vibe from I Am A River.

Overall, it is a good album with some catchy tunes! But I am afraid the idea of making a show to create the songs and the whole 'these songs have to have a story' thing may have overshadowed the actual music. 

Still haven't picked up a vinyl copy, but I'm listening to the full album of Rdio right now.

I'm a huge Foos fan, and have been since the beginning. I hate to say this, but the new album just seems very safe and there aren't that many hooks in any of the songs. Feast and the Famine is a stand out for me, and I really like Subterranean as it sounds like mid-90's Foos to me.

That being said, I'm still going to pick a copy up as soon as I find out if my secret santa bought it for me or not.

Still haven't picked up a vinyl copy, but I'm listening to the full album of Rdio right now.

I'm a huge Foos fan, and have been since the beginning. I hate to say this, but the new album just seems very safe and there aren't that many hooks in any of the songs. Feast and the Famine is a stand out for me, and I really like Subterranean as it sounds like mid-90's Foos to me.

That being said, I'm still going to pick a copy up as soon as I find out if my secret santa bought it for me or not.

Ok, so, I'm now on my third full listen this morning. I gotta say, it's already growing on me.

I liked the scene in one of the recent episodes (*spoilers*) when Dave and Co. were struggling with the arrangement of the song.  A glorious light poured through the window and an almost spiritual "ah-ha" moment hit Dave... he thought to himself, "I know how I"ll arrange this song... I'll arrange it like I do ALL my other Foo Fighter songs." .. and he did.

seattle covers at my shop.   If anyone needs one let me know.

Overall, it is a good album with some catchy tunes! But I am afraid the idea of making a show to create the songs and the whole 'these songs have to have a story' thing may have overshadowed the actual music. 

Totally. If I had to give a "bottom line" on this record, it's that too much time and effort were spent getting the HBO series right with not enough care and attention given to the music and lyrics.

I can totally see why.  I think unless you're pretty into the foos you're going to find this record pretty samesies and done before.  Nothing new and what is done well on the songs I've heard, has been done by Dave and Co. better already.  (just my two cents)

This is exactly how I feel. I've enjoyed the show on HBO but the songs just sound like they've been done before. I doubt I'll be buying this but if I get it as an xmas gift or something I wouldn't mind.

This band is playing RFK stadium in D.C?

Wrigley in Chicago is half the size

They are going to tour around this everywhere...This isn't like destination deal day like PJ 20 or something. I cant see them coming close to filling 80k at RFK. Am I crazy and they are that big?

RFK's capacity is 45,600 and that show is an all day festival type deal. They filled Wembley 2 nights in a row and that place is twice the size.

For some reason I was thinking RFK was 70-80k. I know the Redskins played there for years. Had to be one of the smaller stadiums in NFL

Wembley was also 6 years ago and a totally different market. Europe has a much larger "rock" based audience to support those types of event

I am just shocked that they are playing these bigger places in US with a tour and many many markets going to be hit. Interesting to see how the rest of their venues will pan out

Wrigley Field show sold out in like a day or something.  People were all up in arms because of  a mix up with the fan presale.  I have been following these guys since the 90's and it is insane how huge they are now.

Couldn't swing the Chicago show but ended up grabbing tickets to the fourth of July party in DC! General admission in the seats, so hope it's not too hard to get a good spot.

I feel like this album isn't going to get the rating and recognition is deserves, solely on the fact that a lot of people aren't going to watching the corresponding docuseries to truly understand the album before they review it.

I've been a huge Foo Fighters fan since 1995, since day fucking 1. But I can honestly say that I like Side A more than Side B because of the SH episodes giving me all the back story behind it all. And I bet once all the episodes have aired SH will be album of the year contender for me.

I can't get over how fucking good the opening and closing tracks are though. Whoa.