What's your White Whale record?

I only have a few, but I actually found one at a local shop the other day, and I've spun it quite a bit in 4 days. It's not that rare of an album, as it was pressed a lot over the years, but I had yet to find one in a bin. Made my month, and for only $5. Probably not anyone else's taste, but hey, tastes are tastes

Bob James - One

the last track on the album, "Nautilus", is one of the most sampled of all time

• 1 month later...

So yesterday I got one of my whit whale records for 8.99. It was in very rough shape, but considering it is an LP that regularly goes for over $100. Definitely one of my most prized records now...

D'Angelo - Brown Sugar Original Pressing

ZKs2zAz.jpg

sleeve looks awful, but how does it sound? I've never heard D'Angelo on vinyl. I bet it's great.

sleeve looks awful, but how does it sound? I've never heard D'Angelo on vinyl. I bet it's great.

Some songs are perfect, some are a crackly mess. But I don't really care just having it is great for me. Only Shit, Damn, Motherfucker skips so not too much of a loss of songs. I also have a perfect copy of the Voodoo 180G reissue, that just might be the best sounding record I've ever heard. You should check that one out. It's not too hard to find I believe.

This is my white whale.  

Its a test pressing for Don't Turn Away by face to face.  I've been collecting them for 20+ years and only know of 4 copies in existence.  Even Dr. Strange Records who pressed the LP does not have a copy.

R-5221569-1404901294-5164.jpeg

My white whale is a test press for Don't Turn Away by face to face.  I know of four in existance.

R-5221569-1404901294-5164.jpeg

Hrm. Interesting, will you update us again in another two months?

So yesterday I got one of my whit whale records for 8.99. It was in very rough shape, but considering it is an LP that regularly goes for over $100. Definitely one of my most prized records now...

D'Angelo - Brown Sugar Original Pressing

ZKs2zAz.jpg

Nice! I've been looking for that one as well.

Tree, Swallows, Houses by Maps and Atlases.

Very influential and life changing album for me. Been looking for a while and it's so hard to find :/

Great LP. I got $300 for mine on discogs a couple of months ago. I love that album so much, but when money was tight, I had no problem listening to the CD and getting that much for it.

Before that even happened, I emailed Cathy from Sargent House and asked if it would ever be repressed and she said she would love to, but the band specifically doesn't ever want it to happen. Apparently they aren't big fans of their earlier sound which is a huge bummer.