PO Now: Desaparecidos new album: "Payola" Coming Jun 23rd, 2015

I've listened to this a few times and I can't really get into it.  It seems like what I liked about the first one just doesn't seem to be here.  I'm going to give it a few more listens before I make a final opinion, so far it's a bit of a let down for me.

Same here. I listened to it about ten times yesterday at work and it's fun and it's good. But that's about it.

While I love this album a lot, I can agree that the "sound" jonrawks is referring to is lost. It's definitely different, but it's what I expected based on the 3 singles/ b-sides.

I hadn't heard any of the singles before going into this either.  I really didn't have any idea what the album was going to sound like, especially after such a long gap.  I don't think it's bad by any means, it just doesn't resonate like Read Music did.

I listened to this on my bike the last 2 days

My thoughts are that it does not contain the same urgency and tension in the music and lyrics that the first record did. Now clearly Conor is a different person and  does not struggle anymore but alot of this is forced. Musically I think they tried to force melody with hooks and music that I can see them playing live preceded by him asking people to clap their hands together. The production is slick and overall trying to cater too a much larger audience(which still can be done and is being done by artists)

I give this record a 3/10

I like this record, but I do agree it does not catch my the same as the first. It feels a bit too clean, and a lot of the raw emotion is just not there. It's not bad by any stretch, but I'll probably spin the first a lot more.

For all those saying that this record does not feel the same as the first, did you ever stop to think that maybe you're ignoring the obvious? That first record came out 13 years ago...I felt different about a lot of things when I was a teenager in 2002. I still enjoy this album for what it is, but Read Music, Speak Spanish will always resonate more with me because of that time in my life. 

For all those saying that this record does not feel the same as the first, did you ever stop to think that maybe you're ignoring the obvious? That first record came out 13 years ago...I felt different about a lot of things when I was a teenager in 2002. I still enjoy this album for what it is, but Read Music, Speak Spanish will always resonate more with me because of that time in my life. 

I'm not ignoring that fact at all.  After a huge gap, it's hard to say what new music from them was going to sound like.  They don't owe it to anybody to sound the same way and I don't know if anyone was expecting Read More Music, Speak More Spanish.  Even if this album was released 2 years after Read Music, I'd most likely have the same opinions about it.  What I liked from this band just isn't here anymore, it mainly feels like Desaparecidos Lite to me.  That's fine, I went into it open minded and it isn't for me.  It seems like plenty of people are enjoying it and that's cool.  It's not a complete stinker of an album and I'll check out any future releases with the same open mind.

That's why you make a new band name and don't pretend you are the same band you were 13 years ago a la Cap'n Jazz to Owls.

I am really enjoying this record. Super surprised to see the dislike actually. It's a little more than I would expect from a Desaparecidos album in 2015.

exactly this. I'm quite pleased with it, despite all the singles being released over the years, it's a fantastic album, can't wait to spin the vinyl this afternoon.