Dustin Kensrue - Carry the Fire (PO Now)

seangj

There are at most two posts actually complaining about the religious aspect of Dustin's music, pretty sure Derek was being facetious.

Thank you.

I don't mind the gospel elements, so long as they're not detrimental to the quality of the music.  Would I buy a record of Dustin crooning Jeeeeeessssussssssss and strumming the same two chords back and forth?  Nope.  His writing is better than that.  There are Glory Hallelujah! worship albums, and then there are albums with religious undertones... like the majority of Thrice's discography.

I just think it's silly to listen to a song like Not Enough and think "Wow, this song is great" one moment, and then "Wait, it's about Jesus? lol no thanks".

Really excited for this one. The description sounds incredibly intriguing.

I'm not at all religious so I passed on his last one, but I'm open-minded enough to appreciate other's beliefs & not bash it simply because he's passionate about his faith. People that are so openly anti-religion are as bad as bible thumpers.

Anyways, I hope he comes through Ohio. Would love to see him!

At the Summit?  I thought about going to this, but I hate that venue.

On topic:  Joking aside, I am looking forward to this.

Yeah, at Summit. I have seen some incredible shows at that venue, so it's hard to hate it.

On topic: I probably shouldn't have my avatar as a picture of me with an upside down cross on my forehead.

wow, there are a lot of anti-religious bigots on here!

Oh for fuck's sake

Dude is putting out the follow up to a WORSHIP ALBUM. If an artist I respected put out an album centered around (not just informed or influenced by) something I was ideologically opposed to, I'd also be bummed and concerned that their future work was going to move more in that direction. If someone taking issue with "Jesus shit" is tantamount to religious persecution in your mind, I'm amazed that you're able to leave your house, much less use the internet. There's a war on Christmas, y'know.

Oh for fuck's sake

Dude is putting out the follow up to a WORSHIP ALBUM. If an artist I respected put out an album centered around (not just informed or influenced by) something I was ideologically opposed to, I'd also be bummed and concerned that their future work was going to move more in that direction. If someone taking issue with "Jesus shit" is tantamount to religious persecution in your mind, I'm amazed that you're able to leave your house, much less use the internet. There's a war on Christmas, y'know.

Kind of like when Anne Rice went from intense vampire horror books to the soft Christian stuff. It's odd.

Very happy to hear about his follow up to PCH, I love Thrice and his solo work, checked out Water and Blood but I couldn't get into it and I'm fine with that. It's nice to see him have different creative avenues and keep himself active, I also believe it keeps artists fresh without too much carry over into their other projects. His lyrics have always had religious themes to them but that doesn't make me like him/Thrice any less. Will you catch me listening to worship music, probably not. However, if you like it more power to you, it's more DK that you get to listen to. I feel like he gets a lot of hate for Blood and Water because he put it out at a time a lot of Thrice fans were feeling like he left Thrice to just straight up do warship music. I am super excited for new Thrice and solo DK and if he puts out another worship record I 'll check that out too, I can't promise I'll dig it but in the end he's still the same artist making great music. 

Oh for fuck's sake

You sound really butt hurt over this!

You sound really butt hurt over this!

As a Christian (recovering evangelical) it's just distressing to me that so much energy is still wasted pushing the narrative of the Persecuted Christian Majority, when the reality is that the US is still the country with the most religious freedom, both legally and culturally. On another tip, the world is getting bigger, more and more people are raised irreligious (areligious?) or abandoning faiths passed down to them, and the concept of any sort of organized faith is abhorrent or at least quizzical to them. I myself go back and forth on it, as I'm sure many do. It's a complicated and intensely personal component of people's lives; most people can't just flip a switch and go "I've never believed in a god, but sure, there's probably a benevolent deity whose guide for living is outlined in just one of the several religions", just as it is very hard to say "this belief system, in which I have spent my entire life entrenched, has shaped my sense of morality, provided me with a loving community, and imbued my life with greater significance. IIII'm gonna walk away from it". Please use a fraction of your available empathy to try and understand why some people are so vehemently anti-religion, rather than labeling them bigots and retreating further into a self-satisfied worldview.

"Butthurt" is quickly gaining on "hater" on my list of Laziest Deflections Used In Internet Arguments.

Thank you.

I don't mind the gospel elements, so long as they're not detrimental to the quality of the music.  Would I buy a record of Dustin crooning Jeeeeeessssussssssss and strumming the same two chords back and forth?  Nope.  His writing is better than that.  There are Glory Hallelujah! worship albums, and then there are albums with religious undertones... like the majority of Thrice's discography.

I just think it's silly to listen to a song like Not Enough and think "Wow, this song is great" one moment, and then "Wait, it's about Jesus? lol no thanks".

"not enough" was pretty much the only song on that record that wasn't glory hallelujah!. did you listen to the rest? 

i'm pretty stoked that "of crows and crowns" is on this one. fantastic song.

As a Christian (recovering evangelical) it's just distressing to me that so much energy is still wasted pushing the narrative of the Persecuted Christian Majority, when the reality is that the US is still the country with the most religious freedom, both legally and culturally. On another tip, the world is getting bigger, more and more people are raised irreligious (areligious?) or abandoning faiths passed down to them, and the concept of any sort of organized faith is abhorrent or at least quizzical to them. I myself go back and forth on it, as I'm sure many do. It's a complicated and intensely personal component of people's lives; most people can't just flip a switch and go "I've never believed in a god, but sure, there's probably a benevolent deity whose guide for living is outlined in just one of the several religions", just as it is very hard to say "this belief system, in which I have spent my entire life entrenched, has shaped my sense of morality, provided me with a loving community, and imbued my life with greater significance. IIII'm gonna walk away from it". Please use a fraction of your available empathy to try and understand why some people are so vehemently anti-religion, rather than labeling them bigots and retreating further into a self-satisfied worldview.

"Butthurt" is quickly gaining on "hater" on my list of Laziest Deflections Used In Internet Arguments.

I almost got through half of this and then I fell asleep! A lot of big words in there man! Must have taken you a long time googling all of them. 

Since this thread is so derailed now..... Has anyone purchased any of Dustin's gear from him on eBay?

I bought his SG '61 reissue (guitar of the week 6). This was back when they did their Farewell tour - there is actually some snaps in the Anthology booklet that look like it, not sure though as the pics are blk/wht. Could be though! Got a great price for it and play it all the time. He even signed it and put the Thrice symbol on it for me :)

I almost got through half of this and then I fell asleep! A lot of big words in there man! Must have taken you a long time googling all of them. 

I typed out a big thing, but it's not worth it. I was just trying to have a conversation about something that's important to me, with people who feel similarly. I wasn't trying to instigate argument or be some kind of smart guy by using huge words like benevolent. 

I rarely participate in these rants, but just want to put something out there. What happen to letting artist write lyrically from there life experience? I think many people regardless if they are religious, Christian or former religious folks share a similar life outlook as Dustin. I for one am curious if with all the life change that went down with Mars Hill that we see a more "Bazan" type lyrical album. I will still be buy the vinyl as everyone else on here, haters and all, will be.

• 2 weeks later...