The National - A Lot of Sorrow - 9LP set

Good cause and all that but this release is dumb. If they released a proper live album instead (maybe of the show they did with an orchestra recently) I'd be on board and it would sell like hotcakes. Buying LP's as an 'art piece' is bullshit. Too expensive and rubbish content make this the first release by The National I'll be skipping.

I don't know why but for a second after just reading the OPs title I thought it was the name for a deluxe signed box set with special editions of all their albums. Damn.

It's almost like they put out that unreleased track the other day to get our hopes up then they unveil this to everyone's bewilderment.

Is anyone going to confess to having ordered it? 

I want to take a look through the set at some point but there is no way I could order it. 

I know Trouble Will Find Me was mentioned - i liked that deluxe set they did but you're right, if that took months to sell then these are destined to sit as well. 

Is anyone going to confess to having ordered it?

I'll admit it. I ordered as soon as I learned of the release. Very excited to hear this as I was very disappointed to have not been able to attend the event at MOMA. Been waiting for this to come out since it was suggested it would be released as a box set.

I'll admit it. I ordered as soon as I learned of the release. Very excited to hear this as I was very disappointed to have not been able to attend the event at MOMA. Been waiting for this to come out since it was suggested it would be released as a box set.

Bravo. I'd give you a +1, but I spent my daily limit in this thread already. 

As I said earlier in the thread I ordered it. Been looking forward to it since Matt mentioned it would get pressed during the press tour for TWFM.

I think it will be cool to listen to. Never gonna listen to all 9'in a row, but if have no problem pulling out 1 maybe 2 LPs every so often as a way to create a mini experience of the art project.

They are my favorite current band, I couldn't not order this.

This is something that just doesn't need to exist in physical form.  As much as I love this band, I would never listen to this more than once (and even then it would take me a few weeks to get through it).

That's the weirdest thing about this for me. At it's core, the concept of listening to the same song performed live for six hours is kind of neat, but vinyl is the absolute worst way to experience that. It seems like the faster you can go from one version to the next, the more you can compare the variations. Having to flip sides and change the player every every fifteen minutes or so totally gets in the way of that. And the fact that there's no download code with it?

This is just really, really odd. 

That's the weirdest thing about this for me. At it's core, the concept of listening to the same song performed live for six hours is kind of neat, but vinyl is the absolute worst way to experience that. It seems like the faster you can go from one version to the next, the more you can compare the variations. Having to flip sides and change the player every every fifteen minutes or so totally gets in the way of that. And the fact that there's no download code with it?

This is just really, really odd.

It's the only way they can make sure you're still awake.

I think selling this for a lower price like $110 or including some bonus live EP or unreleased material would have been more of a troll move.  

It looks like a lot of thought went into the packaging and the price point is at a place where only affluent (or obsessive) fans will get it.  Like I said earlier, it's easy to just pretend this doesn't exist.  Unlike, let's say the Virginia EP and A Skin, A Night release which featured 4-5 b-sides, some demoes, and a terrible "art" film marketed as a documentary.  They didn't even give us those awesome Vincent Moon Boxer promos which featured the only practical footage for fans from that saturated black and white grainy film experiment.