Knowing When to Give Up Being a Completionist/Variant Collector?

When it becomes a chore and is no longer fun, you should give up.

Personally I think the way variant collecting used to work was fun. Possibly getting a mailorder color, hunting down variants in stores, working out trades with other collectors... The hunt was what made it fun.

These days you just drop $100 preordering 5 copies at a time. Nothing fun or exciting about that.

91sn32Q.jpg

I don't variant collect, but I do have the discography OCD. I'm slowly breaking it.

same here. I've gotten it down to just studio albums by bands, no 7" really anymore. Still hate that I buy meh albums sometimes just to complete a discography. I've really pulled the reins in on buying the past couple months. I have seen the light of the easy pass. Praise Haze!

I've been a discography guy ever since I started collecting CDs when I was ten. I just always thought it looked cool as hell to have a band's entire catalog right there.

The plan is to eventually have a bit of a music library for my kids/family/friends. Even when I buy a record I don't really dig, I shelve it for later. I'll either grow to love it, or hope that someone down the line will. I guess it really isn't as much OCD as it is a true appreciation for music.

This is my issue as well. 

I had this problem with all Robert Pollard related band stuff. I dumped in the last 6 month about 75 pieces (about 2/3 7 inches and 1/3 albums). I will never listen to what I sold ever again and didnt need it to say look I own 200 records that Robert Pollard put out

I have done that with a ton of artists of late. Selling off albums by them I didnt like much, will not be an album I listen to probably ever again and have an mp3 copy if I really need it

When it becomes a chore and is no longer fun, you should give up.

Personally I think the way variant collecting used to work was fun. Possibly getting a mailorder color, hunting down variants in stores, working out trades with other collectors... The hunt was what made it fun.

These days you just drop $100 preordering 5 copies at a time. Nothing fun or exciting about that.

Nailed it...I had a blast collecting all of my TWY variants but I don't ever spend money I don't have on it...and I don't stress about it... 

Also, I used to want to have every album from a band but I stopped that after the last few awful Taking Back Sunday albums and The last two lackluster Bayside albums. Now I usually try to listen before I buy...

Nailed it...I had a blast collecting all of my TWY variants but I don't ever spend money I don't have on it...and I don't stress about it...

Also, I used to want to have every album from a band but I stopped that after the last few awful Taking Back Sunday albums and The last two lackluster Bayside albums. Now I usually try to listen before I buy...

It also doesnt help that a record that expects to do well will have 10 different varients for preorder.

I've never collected variants. As someone mentioned already, I'd rather have 10 different albums than 10 copies of the same album. When I collected CDs, I did like to complete the discography of my favorite artists, but I limited that to official studio albums, occasionally including live ones. Then I realized I was at the point of just ripping albums to my computer for convenient listening on my MP3 player and computer, and making copies of the CDs to keep in the car. Essentially I was just ripping the CD, checking out the artwork, and putting it on the shelf. CD shopping was becoming less and less fun as it was easier to find things I wanted on Amazon, eBay, etc. It became a money pit and I started downloading more. Now that I'm buying vinyl, I'm trying to be a lot more selective of what I buy. And I never need more than one copy of anything.

I'll buy variations in regards to it being different pressings.  For instance, I have the 4xLP Warner reissue of Metallica The Black Album, but I've heard several people say that the Simply Vinyl pressing is the best, so I picked that up.  If I ever found an original pressing for a reasonable price I'd grab that too.   Now if they did six versions of the same pressing, but on different colored vinyl then I wouldnt bother with all six. Everyone's different though, I wouldnt knock someone for wanting all of the variations.  

Step 1: Admit that you have a problem.

Step 2: Easy Pass.

You see, when I became one with Easy Pass and accepted him as my savior, saying no became as easy as breathing.

Just say no and D.A.R.E. to keep collectors off variants.

Could someone please fill me in on what this "easy pass" joke is??

I had this problem with all Robert Pollard related band stuff. I dumped in the last 6 month about 75 pieces (about 2/3 7 inches and 1/3 albums). I will never listen to what I sold ever again and didnt need it to say look I own 200 records that Robert Pollard put out

You'd have an easier time going to the moon than collecting all the Pollard stuff.  I appreciate how prolific the dude is, but even keeping up with current output is taxing.  I couldn't imagine trying to track down all all those back catalogue 7"s.

I'm down with discography collecting.

I'm also a Self Defense Family/End of a Year collector, so I'm a masochist.

I'm 5 EoaY 7"s away from being caught up. :)  I normally start actively looking for one I'm missing once I wear myself out on the last one I got.  I've heard some rumours of some demo tapes, but I've never really seen any confirmation that they exist.  I hope they're not real things because finding those would might be rather difficult.