Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Every time I see this thread bumped I expect another delay.

Glad to see that's not the case today! I hope my copy arrives soon.

I feel terrible for everyone who preordered this, because I walked into my local record store to buy an Atmosphere reissue and grabbed this while I was there, like a month ago.

The only thing I hate about this record is that you have to flip the fucking record after EVERY TRACK. Of course side D fits the last two tracks...

This.

I was thinking they should have put the album on sides 1-3, so there is more listening per side, and then add "From The Kettle Onto The Coil" as Side D as a vinyl-only bonus track.

I'm still waiting on my copy. I completely forget what color I even ordered...I think I went with blue just because it matched the cover art the best IMO.

BTW, that Glassjaw thread is what convinced me to join the VC forums instead of just lurking. The whole damn thread was just too entertaining.

Well, got my CD yesterday.

Gotta say, listening to this in the car with appropriate focus makes a WORLD of difference.

This album is actually pretty awesome! It's still not quite as good as Sunbather, but it is very much a worthy release, and very much signature Deafheaven without rehashing the past completely.

My main gripe is the weak guitar tones. On the palm-muted chugging riffs, especially like that (in my opinion, unnecessary) bridge right before the ending outro theme, the palm-mutes just sound weak. There isn't enough overdrive, and just a little too much mid-range in the sound to make it really powerful.

Baby Blue is definitely my favorite track so far, though. That opening first few minutes just absolutely kills.

I feel like the palm muting may sound weak because they use so many big chords and such that if they used more distortion those parts would just sound like too much of a mess.

I'm really liking this album though. I just picked up the regular black version from my local record shop and it sounds great

Every time they go for the chugging, it just sounds weak though. I don't know what the solution would be.

But holy lord the outro to Come Back is so good. Lots of amazing fucking fucking parts to this album. Can't wait for the vinyl spin.

Gifts From The Earth's outro is huge and needs to be extended like 4 minutes live. I can't get enough.

Luna is what I think I was talking about in my post just above, though. You wanna get to that awesome outro, and that chugging bridge riff is just kinda unnecessary to the song IMO.