PO soon: Bon Iver - 22, A Million

9 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Circle is probably the best song he's ever recorded. 

It was definitely the one that made me go like "good lord" upon first listen. Reminiscent of the weird 80s-infused balladesque feeling that "Beth/Rest" off of s/t had. I love it and I'm glad to have ordered a copy of this on vinyl.

Just got this in the mail. Took a good look at the actual vinyl in light and was very nervous about how it would play. There were some scratches and a few scuffs on it. Played it and it sounds pretty great! A bit of surface noise towards the end of side B. Now I have the album and the single on red and white. 

4 minutes ago, poweredbytrust said:

that booklet is part of the standard edition w/o the bonus 12", right? I wouldn't want to miss out on that additional artwork and the printed lyrics of course.

Been pumping this all day via spotify, just perfect atmosphere for this early autumn season.

yeah my standard has a lyric booklet in the first gatefold side.

1 hour ago, poweredbytrust said:

that booklet is part of the standard edition w/o the bonus 12", right? I wouldn't want to miss out on that additional artwork and the printed lyrics of course.

Been pumping this all day via spotify, just perfect atmosphere for this early autumn season.

As far as I can tell the version with the 12" is just the standard version of the record bundled with the single. They're not even packaged together.  My local store just had the record and the 12" sitting next to each other on the shelf with a note that the 12" was included.  

Bought the record yesterday. Have given this album a couple of listens. I really like it, and I have so much respect for the musical journey Vernon has taken to get to this album. However, I have a feeling I will be listening through this album less than I did his previous two - there's something about the glitchy sounds, the vocoders, and the level of effects that is less inviting, especially compared to Bon Iver Bon Iver, which I found I could get lost in over and over. I kind of wonder whether I'll be listening to this album in a few months. It's really good, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's re-listenable. Time will tell...

10 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

there's something about the glitchy sounds, the vocoders, and the level of effects that is less inviting,

maybe because if you remove those things, what remains is just poor and uninspired songwriting.

of course this is just my personal opinion so don't get mad at me :P

I really like this record...eventhough theres a lot of samples and stuff in there its quite original and theres still a lot of vulnerability in the sound that you can get lost in. I'm excited to see if the record will grow on me even more in the future or if it will get stale eventually...

In the original press release for this album i think it said something like he struggled with writing new songs after bon iver and i'm very curious to see what the future holds for bon iver's music and maybe a fourth album.

I'm still waiting for my copy that I ordered from Amoeba to escape the black hole known as Bell Gardens.  Now my local shop has them in with the single for cheaper than I paid Amoeba.  I've tried to avoid listening to it until the vinyl shows up but I might have to break down and listen to Spotify soon.  

1 hour ago, azvd said:

The album is badass. Beautiful music and melodies buried under tons of vocoders, autotunes and electronic paraphernalia. It seems cold, frozen, but it's not. His music is all there, it's just a matter of givng your ears the necessary time.

Third listen in and I agree with this ^^^

On October 2, 2016 at 0:16 AM, Eliminator Jr. said:

I was so close to taking a 4h drive after work yesterday to see Justin at some Berlin festival. Now I read he's been doing a techno set with some random dudes I never heard of. I would've been pissed beyond control if I went for that. Haha. 

it's true, he dj'd with boys noize haha

as a fan of both artists in their own respects, I would have been pissed as well.

I have 2 extra newspapers. I'll give them to a couple folks for free (besides shipping) but you have to PM me  with a tidbit or story about why the band is important to you or why you connect with their music. I'll choose my 2 favorite responses in a couple days. 

Oh and shipping only to USA.

Edited by Kilgore Trout