Sharing this hobby

Hello,

What's the best way to share this hobby with the general public?  I have tried a YouTube channel and failed.  I tried a newsletter, podcast and website and all of those failed.  There are a few great YouTube channels by people who have the time and equipment to produce them, which I have neither, same with podcasts.  I'm not sure if I should try sharing with the general public since everything I have tried has failed, that's how I ended up on this message board community.  I figure if nothing else I can talk about my hobby here.

Am i weird and crazy for trying all of those things?

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Please be funny if you're going to be a smart ass or mean.

Thank You,

Rich

1 minute ago, randdmart said:

Hello,

What's the best way to share this hobby with the general public?  I have tried a YouTube channel and failed.  I tried a newsletter, podcast and website and all of those failed.  There are a few great YouTube channels by people who have the time and equipment to produce them, which I have neither, same with podcasts.  I'm not sure if I should try sharing with the general public since everything I have tried has failed, that's how I ended up on this message board community.  I figure if nothing else I can talk about my hobby here.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thank You,

Rich

Here's the thing:

People who care about vinyl likely don't care about YOUR vinyl, and people who DON'T care about vinyl aren't going to be swayed to love it just because you do. I did the instagram record thing for a while and realized that while I love records, I don't love posting photos or videos of them and I really couldn't give a shit about looking at most people's collections.

7 minutes ago, randdmart said:

Hello,

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Thank You,

Rich

What's your favorite platform to post on, YouTube?

How did it "fail" and how long did you do it?

1 hour ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Here's the thing:

People who care about vinyl likely don't care about YOUR vinyl, and people who DON'T care about vinyl aren't going to be swayed to love it just because you do. I did the instagram record thing for a while and realized that while I love records, I don't love posting photos or videos of them and I really couldn't give a shit about looking at most people's collections.

It’s been established that I’m a complete freak/idiot/crazy person, but I really do like seeing multiple photos of how certain variants turn out, outside of what’s posted on Discogs.

If I’m not working/have the time, I’ll spend a good couple hours a week looking at bullshit on IG. 

It really is hard to get motivated to post mine though. 

Since you've said you other attempts have "failed", what success are you looking for out of this? Monetization, or just shooting the shit with people who like the music you like? 

If your goal is to reach a wide audience and make something more of it, keep in mind that it's pretty bottlenecked on social media and such now. There's already thousands of people doing exactly what you're describing between all of the platforms out there. 

If you're just trying to meet some people and chat about music/vinyl, you're probably better off just participating in message board communities, Facebook groups, etc.

I run an Instagram account called Records With Googly Eyes, not sure if that counts? A lot of records are user submitted though.

Last year I tried listening to one record every single day and writing a little bit about said record and ended up posting them all on my personal IG/fb just because it was cathartic for me. Beyond that I’ve got nothing. 

18 hours ago, DarrenMcCall said:

What's your favorite platform to post on, YouTube?

How did it "fail" and how long did you do it?

@DarrenMcCallI don't have any social media accounts.  I used to like YouTube but I usually kept stuff unlisted because I knew the chances of getting even 10 public views was a long shot.

To be fair and honest I'm a perfectionist who likes and wants things to be easy and perfect right away, as we know, life doesn't work that way.  Since my YouTube channel wasn't meeting my standards (which, by the way, I was basing on professional YouTube channels) I got super frustrated and just stopped.  The one YouTube channel I really like is more than likely monetized, which I was never wanting for myself, and the guy who runs that particular channel more than likely has the time, resources, money and patience to post a new YouTube video every week.  I have none of those things.

Take everything I just said about my YouTube channel "failing" and apply that to the podcast, newsletter and website I tried.  Also, all of this applies to my other hobby of coin collecting as I tried combining the 2 hobbies for the YouTube channel, podcast, newsletter and website.

Because I got easily frustrated with everything mentioned above fairy quickly I didn't do any of it for more than a couple months.

I like @mitchard's suggestion of posting on message boards for this hobby and doing the same for my other hobby. 

Thank You,
Rich

10 minutes ago, randdmart said:

as we know, life doesn't work that way.

yeah, you have to be okay with it not being perfect and allow yourself room to grow.

let us know what you decide to do and link us so we can check it out. but I agree with the suggestion of being a part of existing resources :)

good luck!