DEAFHEAVEN have signed with Roadrunner Records...

• jhulud changed the title to DEAFHEAVEN have signed with Roadrunner Records...

I know the last album rocked the boat pretty hard for a lot of folks, but they haven’t missed in my books.  Really excited to hear whatever they’re cooking up.  George has allegedly said that their is still more “metal” (traditional Deafheaven) songs up their sleeve, so a flip to something more aggressive than Infinite Granite wouldn’t surprise me at all.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I know the last album rocked the boat pretty hard for a lot of folks, but they haven’t missed in my books.  Really excited to hear whatever they’re cooking up.  George has allegedly said that their is still more “metal” (traditional Deafheaven) songs up their sleeve, so a flip to something more aggressive than Infinite Granite wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Before "Brought to the Water" every night on the Sunbather tour, he would say that if you like this next song, you'll like the new record. 

I'm a firm supporter of Infinite Granite, but it took me seeing the songs live to get it.  It's a hard shift, and losing the blastbeats and metal riffs completely takes a while. 

I think the most important thing to talk about is how Chris Johnson is the most crucial member of the band now.  His basslines bring character to the songs in a way that wasn't there on any song beforehand. 

Him and I chat on IG a bit, he's super cool.  We talk about gear and the music, and it's so funny, because we were watching the 2022 Outbreak fest show that he mixed, and they're playing Honeycomb and him and Kerry both do some different stuff in it, and I brought that up to him and he's like "oh yeah we never play the songs the same way, that's boring."  He has some clear bass fills in the shoegaze outro that are noticeably different, and they sound great. 

Its things like that that make me love the band even more than I did before.  Typically, big metal bands are pretty rigid and don't change setlists or don't let the music live and breathe, but seeing stuff like that happen where they're kind of jamming and in the moment is just so beautiful. 

That all being said, I'm very excited to hear what theyve been cooking up.  If you listen to the Worthless Animal and Honeycomb Audio tree videos from 2019, that bit at the start... that's them jamming.  100% improvised.  He said the Audiotree people were like "Hey we need some intro music, just jam a bit" and they came up with that haha and it sounds SO good. 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I think the most important thing to talk about is how Chris Johnson is the most crucial member of the band now.  His basslines bring character to the songs in a way that wasn't there on any song beforehand. 

Him and I chat on IG a bit, he's super cool.  We talk about gear and the music, and it's so funny, because we were watching the 2022 Outbreak fest show that he mixed, and they're playing Honeycomb and him and Kerry both do some different stuff in it, and I brought that up to him and he's like "oh yeah we never play the songs the same way, that's boring."  He has some clear bass fills in the shoegaze outro that are noticeably different, and they sound great. 

Its things like that that make me love the band even more than I did before.  Typically, big metal bands are pretty rigid and don't change setlists or don't let the music live and breathe, but seeing stuff like that happen where they're kind of jamming and in the moment is just so beautiful. 

That all being said, I'm very excited to hear what theyve been cooking up.  If you listen to the Worthless Animal and Honeycomb Audio tree videos from 2019, that bit at the start... that's them jamming.  100% improvised.  He said the Audiotree people were like "Hey we need some intro music, just jam a bit" and they came up with that haha and it sounds SO good. 

Me and Chris both went to school together for audio engineering. It’s awesome to see a fellow classmate doing something really cool with their degree. He’s such a genuine person and I have nothing but positive stuff to say about him 😎

On 2/8/2024 at 8:14 PM, prowl20 said:

Me and Chris both went to school together for audio engineering. It’s awesome to see a fellow classmate doing something really cool with their degree. He’s such a genuine person and I have nothing but positive stuff to say about him 😎

dude he's the best.  he's so gracious with his time.  we get deep into the music.  I'll tell him i know you!