Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

I just had a nice experience with Paper + Plastick Records.

First it started with a problem. I ordered a record few months ago and received it really poorly packed. Basically the record with no plastic wrap or bag was just put in the record mailer with no extra protection whatsoever. Of course, the record had all four corners bent when I received it. I sent them an e-mail describing my problem and thought it will probably end up in spam or something...

But... Today I received another package from P+P. It was the same record sent again, no charge at all. This time packed as it should be (double card reinforcement inside the record mailer, wrapped in bubble wrap, record removed from cover...). And postage from USA to Europe is not cheap at all. They really made it up for their initial mistake. Funny thing is that they didn't reply to my e-mail or let me know they'll be handling the problem this way. Anyway, nice move Paper + Plastick.

I had a similar experience with them. They didn't support the record in the mailer and I received it bent up. I emailed them, mainly to recommend better shipping methods for the future - and they responded within a couple of hours. Instead of sending the record back for exchange, they mailed me another copy and let me keep the original, as well as a free record sleeve with their logo on it. The employee also mentioned that the sleeve wasn't going to be for sale/released on their website for another month, so it was cool to receive that before everyone else.

Anyway, P+P rules!

Edit: The second record was also packaged very well. Both cardboard and bubble wrap support.

While I'm on the subject of good/bad label or distro experiences...I'm not sure if this has been addressed, or just too obvious for anyone to mention...

Run For Cover Records has been known in the past to take a while and I remember seeing them getting a lot of complaints back in the day. I have to say, based on all the bad stories I've heard, you can definitely tell they've gotten a lot better since then. They've obviously stepped their game up in other areas other than their mail order, but A+ for them as a label all around now. I've never had a single problem and everything has shipped almost immediately and packaged well. No complaints. :D

Alright guys. First "major" problem I've had ordering records (or anything) online.  Preordered Jayke Orvis - Bless This Mess on black marbled vinyl back on May 24th, 2013 from the label Farmageddon Records.  It was due to come out that month. It was pushed back to July, then pushed back again with no definitive release date (delays at the pressing plant supposedly). So I bided the time and waited it out with an email here or there to check on status.

Well, come January 21st, 2014, they FINALLY got the albums in and shipped them out.  I got no tracking number or confirmation of shipment email.  Waited a week to see if it would show up and started emailing.  First response was that it was shipped out and I should see it soon. Never showed.  Been emailing back and forth and only got a "I'm checking into it" email.  Have not been able to get any responses for a week now, and am getting concerned I'm going to get stiffed on the record and lose out on the money ($30 + shipping).  Obviously it's too late for a paypal dispute. I've been trying to talk to paypal and get them to make an exception to no avail thus far.  I've tried posting on the label's and band's facebook pages, but haven't gotten any response yet.

Any ideas what my next move should be?  I appreciate ANY help you guys could offer up.

As it sits now, I would stay far away from these guys.

Alright guys. First "major" problem I've had ordering records (or anything) online.  Preordered Jayke Orvis - Bless This Mess on black marbled vinyl back on May 24th, 2013 from the label Farmageddon Records.  It was due to come out that month. It was pushed back to July, then pushed back again with no definitive release date (delays at the pressing plant supposedly). So I bided the time and waited it out with an email here or there to check on status.

Well, come January 21st, 2014, they FINALLY got the albums in and shipped them out.  I got no tracking number or confirmation of shipment email.  Waited a week to see if it would show up and started emailing.  First response was that it was shipped out and I should see it soon. Never showed.  Been emailing back and forth and only got a "I'm checking into it" email.  Have not been able to get any responses for a week now, and am getting concerned I'm going to get stiffed on the record and lose out on the money ($30 + shipping).  Obviously it's too late for a paypal dispute. I've been trying to talk to paypal and get them to make an exception to no avail thus far.  I've tried posting on the label's and band's facebook pages, but haven't gotten any response yet.

Any ideas what my next move should be?  I appreciate ANY help you guys could offer up.

As it sits now, I would stay far away from these guys.

Do they have a contact phone number?  Maybe try giving them a call?

Should I wait 30 days before filing a claim against a label for non-shipment?  It's only been since Feb. 14, but a lack of communication (twice through two different mediums) has been making me pissy.

2 weeks is silly to get pissy about. You wait 44 days and then file your claim.

While I'm on the subject of good/bad label or distro experiences...I'm not sure if this has been addressed, or just too obvious for anyone to mention...

Run For Cover Records has been known in the past to take a while and I remember seeing them getting a lot of complaints back in the day. I have to say, based on all the bad stories I've heard, you can definitely tell they've gotten a lot better since then. They've obviously stepped their game up in other areas other than their mail order, but A+ for them as a label all around now. I've never had a single problem and everything has shipped almost immediately and packaged well. No complaints. :D

People rarely say positive stuff on here (which I understand) so I appreciate it! The change was pretty much going from a one person business to an 8 person business over the last 2 years.

Deep Elm

I ordered a bunch of stuff from them and it never showed up after about 4 weeks I called and asked about it, they gave me a hard time saying that it had to be on my end and that they in their existence have never had any problems getting orders filled and shipping them.  I recieved the package a week later with the postage date being for the day after the day I called. 

On a positive note Hydrahead, NO Idea, Victory and Revelation records have all had stellar service.  They give a ton of free swag (you just gotta ask).  

Right now I'm having some issues with Caldo Verde Records. It’s just that I'm having a really hard time getting in contact with any one at Caldo Verde Records and no one’s answering my emails. They are listing the Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavalle ‘Perils From The Sea’ with a vinyl release date for June 2013 (!) over a year now and I need to own this record, lol. Anyone else had the same problem? Thing is that all the vinyl releases are limited to 500 copies if I’m not mistaken here and when you forget to pass by every week it might be that the records have been sold with blink of an eye ;-)

A label I would definitely recommend are the guys from ‘Joyful Noise’…

<b>Anyone ever get ripped off by Moon Glyph records?</b>

I ordered 2 LPs direct from the label in December. Not pre orders. $24 + shipping.

2 emails to him, 1 note back with a link to some downloads. No records. :(

I'm inclined to cut the dude some slack if he's a one-man record label, but fuck, almost three months and no records.

Tempted to put him on blast.

<b>Anyone ever get ripped off by Moon Glyph records?</b>

I ordered 2 LPs direct from the label in December. Not pre orders. $24 + shipping.

2 emails to him, 1 note back with a link to some downloads. No records. :(

I'm inclined to cut the dude some slack if he's a one-man record label, but fuck, almost three months and no records.

Tempted to put him on blast.

i feel like you just did....?

My recent Topshelf UK order took 8 days to arrive, which is a bit extreme. They are using the SilverBulletMerch distro. I'm going to chalk that up to the fact that they've only recently setup the UK/EU distributor, or maybe they had a stock issue that wasn't noted on the site.

I've had items from Topshelf US, MerchDirect US and several others arrive within 7 days on multiple occasions, so hopefully they'll speed up else I may as well just continue to use the US service.

My recent Topshelf UK order took 8 days to arrive, which is a bit extreme. They are using the SilverBulletMerch distro. I'm going to chalk that up to the fact that they've only recently setup the UK/EU distributor, or maybe they had a stock issue that wasn't noted on the site.

I've had items from Topshelf US, MerchDirect US and several others arrive within 7 days on multiple occasions, so hopefully they'll speed up else I may as well just continue to use the US service.

Whoa. You're complaining about EIGHT days?!

Whoa. You're complaining about EIGHT days?!

In the UK you're damn right. Every distro I use such as BigScaryMonsters (via AwesomeDistro), BanquetRecords, MonkeyBoyRecords to name a few, for £3-3.50 GBP you get next day delivery, or 1-2 days maximum. TSR-UK via SilverBullet charge £4.75 and it's just sent via the same method, i.e. Royal Mail UK, which for a standard package is 1-2days, most often 1.

You gotta remember we pay more for our postage here, we don't have a "media mail" option, and the USA is obviously a lot bigger hence why you may be used to longer delivery times.

I often can't fathom why most people in the US complain about postage prices, this may be a reversal in how you can't fathom why an 8 day turn-around is an issue for me :) As I stated, I can get the US variants, from the TSR store in the same time it takes the UK store to get it to me... That is an issue, and I may as well just use the US store.

In the UK you're damn right. Every distro I use such as BigScaryMonsters (via AwesomeDistro), BanquetRecords, MonkeyBoyRecords to name a few, for £3-3.50 GBP you get next day delivery, or 1-2 days maximum. TSR-UK via SilverBullet charge £4.75 and it's just sent via the same method, i.e. Royal Mail UK, which for a standard package is 1-2days, most often 1.

You gotta remember we pay more for our postage here, we don't have a "media mail" option, and the USA is obviously a lot bigger hence why you may be used to longer delivery times.

I often can't fathom why most people in the US complain about postage prices, this may be a reversal in how you can't fathom why an 8 day turn-around is an issue for me :) As I stated, I can get the US variants, from the TSR store in the same time it takes the UK store to get it to me... That is an issue, and I may as well just use the US store.

Whether you get other stuff faster or not, 8 days is nothing to complain about. 

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?