Thrice - Major Minor PO

Of course he has one, that's such a stupid argument about it devaluing the original. Vagrant couldnt give a fuck about that, or they wouldn't have repressed beggars and major/minor.

I don't have one. I did though. Bought at HT back in the day when even months after release they were plentiful and sold a year or so later for $90. Do I regret it? Of course! Would I buy a 2x12" repress for a fraction of the price of the 4x10" just to have the music on vinyl?

No... because to me, what makes that specific set of songs so special is the specific way they were released. If I really wanted the Alchemy Box again, I'd sell a dozen or so records I care less about and make it happen. At least that purchase would be a good one now that we know definitively that there won't be a repress, right?

All in all, it's not stupid to want a repress, it just wouldn't be my cup of tea.

That's fair enough. But vagrant is a business after all. I'm sure when money gets tight over there it'll get repressed. I just want something that's actually mastered proper for vinyl..mine is DECENT. Yeah, it looks cool, but It's definitely not stellar sounding. Plus I'll be happy that Virgil won't have anything to do with it.

Just a plain-ass black 2x12. Nothing special or de-valuing about that.

I respect everyone that wants to preserve the artistic vision, but there are ways to release the music on vinyl without compromising the integrity of the original pressing.   

Also, they are just asking for someone to bootleg this.  

Is anyone on here wealthy enough to just buy Vagrant Records, or the masters themselves.   Shit lets do a kick starter to collective buy the masters. 

I gotta agree with Davey on this. Yes, Vagrant is a business and this is a potential opportunity to make a good chunk of change. However, the original press of TAI was likely a huge undertaking for them, what with the hardbound book, numbering, and a mispressed record to go on top. I haven't seen one in person but from pictures I've seen online it's a very special package and if the label and/or band thinks that doing it again would cheapen their artistic vision then that's just how it's going to be. Not everything can be in print forever. Also, aren't (some of) those EP's too long to be on one side of vinyl? I know 25 minutes per side can be done and sound alright but unless Vagrant went through the steps necessary to make sure they go through the proper people to cut the lacquers and press the records that would probably just be a big disappointment to people who are looking for a high quality vinyl pressing of TAI.

Damn, that really sucks. TAI is one of the greatest concept albums of all time. I don't think anything would cheapen the original TAI as it is too special and unique.  It is the holy grail of my collection, and will be forever. I would gladly buy a repress of it, and I think it's terrible that they don't see all of the benefits of repressing this, and instead focus on the rare special quality of it. You would think that as music distributors they would want as many people as possible to buy their products. Obviously it doesn't have to be as special and unique as the original.  Anything to help the fans own the music they love. 

I don't know why, but I think their out of stock clearance drops in price with their in stock clearance. I saw that same link a couple years ago at around $40 but it was unavailable.

I don't know why, but I think their out of stock clearance drops in price with their in stock clearance. I saw that same link a couple years ago at around $40 but it was unavailable.

you may be right? im not really sure but once upon a time HT would clearance vinyl diiirt cheap just to get rid of it. i however bought a copy when it went up for PO through VC and it was totally worth the $50ish i paid for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Off topic, but very cool none the less.  

"http://vimeo.com/user7010539"  (copy and paste it, the URL by itself keeps giving an error when trying to post the hyperlink)

That is the Official Thrice Vimeo page.  It covers Dustin & Teppi's guitar rigs, and some in studio stuff for Major Minor.  

• 3 weeks later...