Kris Roe from Ataris Temper Tantrum

The video of the explanation is awesome. Nothing like a former drug addict who would do shows high as a kite complaining about someone being drunk during a show. I also enjoy the two cardboard cutouts that stand next to him for 5 minutes before he allows them to speak. Im also confused by his telling of people to go back to highschool if they want to talk shit, when all of his songs are about reliving his glory days of high school.

allllriiiiiight so, i saw The Ataris last wednesday in Richmond. Show was super fucking cool and fun, and i appreciated the fact they didn't play any of the new shit. Saying he'd ask the drummer if he needed breaks and shit like that is legit as fuck. The rest of the band randomly got off stage for like 2 songs and Kris played by himself before everybody came back (during these 2 songs, he took crowd requests). A fight even broke out in the crowd and Kris stopped playing and said "HEY hey we're just trying to have some fucking fun. seriously?"

After the show I hung around the merch booth for a bit and talked to Kris. He was insanely nice and cool to everybody I saw him talk to, myself included. All of what I'm seeing you guys say seems completely out of character of the guy/band i saw last week. My impression of The Ataris/Kris Roe is he knows nobody likes the new shit, and the kids that come to see him are people that were fans when they were 13. So he plays all old material, sells posters from the old albums, only has copies of the most popular 2 CDs at the booth, I don't see it as pathetically holding onto his former glory, I see it as him wanting to tour all the time and being very aware of what his fans want to hear. Don't we all kinda wish more bands would do this? Nobody likes the new shit...

Nobody likes the new shit?

Welcome the Night was one of the most well-written records in the last 10 years, up on the same level as Deja Entendu. And I know kids on here jerk their nerks to that album.

Why was Welcome the Night glanced over by 99% of everyone?

In before - The Ataris blow, that's why.

In before - The Ataris should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Brand New.

In before - Shut up YoCaseyCasey.

allllriiiiiight so, i saw The Ataris last wednesday in Richmond. Show was super fucking cool and fun, and i appreciated the fact they didn't play any of the new shit. Saying he'd ask the drummer if he needed breaks and shit like that is legit as fuck. The rest of the band randomly got off stage for like 2 songs and Kris played by himself before everybody came back (during these 2 songs, he took crowd requests). A fight even broke out in the crowd and Kris stopped playing and said "HEY hey we're just trying to have some fucking fun. seriously?"

After the show I hung around the merch booth for a bit and talked to Kris. He was insanely nice and cool to everybody I saw him talk to, myself included. All of what I'm seeing you guys say seems completely out of character of the guy/band i saw last week. My impression of The Ataris/Kris Roe is he knows nobody likes the new shit, and the kids that come to see him are people that were fans when they were 13. So he plays all old material, sells posters from the old albums, only has copies of the most popular 2 CDs at the booth, I don't see it as pathetically holding onto his former glory, I see it as him wanting to tour all the time and being very aware of what his fans want to hear. Don't we all kinda wish more bands would do this? Nobody likes the new shit...

you're right, because YOU had a good experience with Kris that negates everything he's ever done. he's a saint, fuck anyone who says anything other.

Do you have this? I've heard rumors of it but haven't been able to track it down..

Nah, it isnt out there. He did it for fun and the Strokes got kinda worried he would put it out and he talked to them and he said he would make sure it never came out leaked or not cause he doesnt want to seem like he is riding their coattails and only did for fun and it was a great album.

you're right, because YOU had a good experience with Kris that negates everything he's ever done. he's a saint, fuck anyone who says anything other.

definitely not what i was saying. this entire thread is full of people expressing what a bitch ass has been he is and other people sharing their negative experiences with him. i just saw the guy last week, kinda felt like sharing my POSITIVE experience was just as relevant to the discussion. i standby my unpopular opinion.

Honestly, the guitarist and drummer that are/were currently playing with him I don't think are that good. I saw them in 2010 with a different drummer (dude with the converge tattoos) and guitarist (indie looking guy), and they were rock fucking solid. At the Atlanta show, I felt like they were a little off. Nothing major, but something you notice after playing in bands for years and years. And Kris was extremely nice to me as well and even chatted about G!YBE and Russian Circles with me for a while. I think he's very jaded from years of getting shitted on labels/ band members/ etc. Hopefully he can turn it around. He's a great song writer, and from my experience, a nice guy. Still, total temper tantrum.