VC Secret Santa (version 5.0) Final Update 02/07/2013

I'm alright with waiting a little more for my package (I can't play any vinyl at the moment until I get a new amp, it's killing me!), I'm more bummed that I didn't see a picture or mention of the package I sent out on here. I put a lot of effort into the package and the two mixes.

ok, who hasn't received anything? 

scott, juan, cesar. i really think you won't be getting stiffed. shit happens and usually people who send late make up for it. i assumed this would happen and most of the people who haven't sent stuff are reliable members so i don't think anyone's getting stiffed this year. just getting shit a little late.

if you haven't gotten anything, please let me know so i can contact your secret santas. if you are a late sender contact me asap regarding this as well. 

8340274250_0367c7c985_c.jpg

forgot a tragedy 7" and some of the candy that i ate. sorry. but this was a awesome gift. thanks steve that multi tool came in handy minutes after getting it.. haha. didn't know you sent the mastodon 2xlp unill i actually picked up the box to tear it apart to trash it. glad i noticed it. fuckin' gifts ruled!!!! especially the rickroll by mail. 

8340274250_0367c7c985_c.jpg

forgot a tragedy 7" and some of the candy that i ate. sorry. but this was a awesome gift. thanks steve that multi tool came in handy minutes after getting it.. haha. didn't know you sent the mastodon 2xlp unill i actually picked up the box to tear it apart to trash it. glad i noticed it. fuckin' gifts ruled!!!! especially the rickroll by mail. 

That United Super Villains LP is really good. Kind of under-rated.

If you got something in the mail from someone, it means they not only took the money out of their bank account, but they took the time out of their lives to research good gifts, buy said gifts, and ship said gifts. They likely had other friends and family to buy and get gifts for too, but they somehow managed to find in their wallets and hearts to get something. Because that's the kind of loving, supportive community we are.

I don't want this to come off as angry or anything, I just think it's messed up to sign up for something, knowing you'll be expected to GIVE as well as receive, and not put forth any effort into the GIVING portion of it.

Even though this was my first time partaking in this, I think that those who haven't sent anything should be named and shamed, and be disqualified for participating in it next year.

/$0.2

I still haven't received my package yet, but I was tipped that something was/will be sent which gives me some relief. The holidays were a rough time for some people especially financially and some leniency should be given. However I agree with a lot that has been said and I personally believe that upon signing up you should have the money upfront and put aside. This doesn't call for too much. It's about $20, some thoughtfulness, creativity and time to make something great in the spirit of giving. Spend that $20 on yours SS rather than buying into all these preorders/going out to the bar or a shows/eating at some restaurant. There is a commitment made when you sign up, treat it as any other commitments you have.

On a separate note - when are the SS's being announced and everyone coming out to say thank you? I don't need any self gratification but acknowledging that I actually got my SS something they wanted/appreciated would be nice to know. Hell, even if they could let me know if they hated it is better than not getting any sort of feedback. Haha.

Can we just get a complete list of everyone who participated so we can figure out who the deadbeats are?

Still nothing received over here, btw. I'm not mad, because it's not like I need more stuff, I'm just sort of bummed because I always like doing Secret Santa stuff—it lets you be creative and give clever gifts. My college choir used to do a Secret Santa every year, and one year, the girl who drew my name ended up giving me an envelope with a $10 bill in it ($10 was our choir's gift limit), while everyone else (myself included) tried to give really thoughtful, funny gifts. It was the shittiest gift I think I have ever received.

On a separate note - when are the SS's being announced and everyone coming out to say thank you?

The full list of SS names have never been published post-swap. If you post pics or a list of what you got, and your Santa responds then cool. There's kind of an implied obligation to show what you got and say thanks, but it doesn't always happen.