Record Collectors Are Indeed Pretentious Assholes!

jhulud

...at least according to this dude on reddit

http://www.reddit.co...de_response_to/

I wonder if VC is that "forum" he hates so much :P

Anyway, both of the sites he wrote down were forums. Looking through these forums, my jaw dropped: among the stupid forum banter and inside references and jokes, these people had gotten their hands on some SERIOUSLY valuable records. Like, I'm talking $100+. And there were hundreds of posts. These were the real collecting places.

I looked through them more. I felt something welling deep down inside of me... I hated these people. I hated the people who collected just to collect, not to listen and love and learn and enjoy. I hated their extravagant collections and stupidly expensive records... that sucked! I envied their disposable income and wondered about what awesome things I'd buy if I could afford a $100 record without any difficulty. I hated what I was in danger of becoming, and I didn't know what to do.

I thought back to my brief period of dance music collecting, back when space wasn't an issue at my parents' house. I remembered a brief phrase that had always stuck with me. It's stupid, but I tried to make it my guiding philosophy for a while: "All killer, no filler." (A lesson some collectors in this forum need to learn). All those $500 records... They were just filler. A show of value. Nothing more. I resolved to only buy records that I actually want to listen to. None of that collector business.

A couple of weeks back someone commented that I was a trust fund baby since I have such a large collection and "buy everything".

Ummmm...yeah...when you've been listening to and collecting records since 1987, it tends to amass. But sure...hurrah for my disposable income and lack of responsibility!

A couple of weeks back someone commented that I was a trust fund baby since I have such a large collection and "buy everything".

Ummmm...yeah...when you've been listening to and collecting records since 1987, it tends to amass. But sure...hurrah for my disposable income and lack of responsibility!

You've been collecting longer than I have been born! :wub:

EST. 1990

what this guy doesnt seem to fathom is, if you're a nerd with insider info/connections you're not paying $100 for primo records.. you're getting them at retail when they come out, or cheap/free from the source... or you sold some high end records and used that cash to buy more high end records

I wish I could take a side but here I pretty much hate 99% of "record collectors."

Records are a magnifying glass for everything wrong with music. Whether it's the dad-rock fans or the people who pine over new music and turn up their nose at anything they don't personally like. Either way you're a snobby sack of dog dicks who try to shit on other people's music experiences.

Fuck you both.

The guy sounds like a whiny idiot who is just jealous of what people have. Am I jealous of those people who have a bunch of Porsches and vintage BMWs in their garage? Sure. But I wouldn't go as far as to say "Damn them for owning that many cars and not really taking them for a spin. I only buy a car to use the shit out of and not for collecting's sake."

Also, he should've kept his mouth shut about reselling that record. No need to brag about it to anyone but yourself.

Having said that, he sounds like your typical 19 year old collector.

Man, he would hate to see my household items that look remarkably like celebrities collection. On my list you'll find a broom that looks remarkably like David Beckham, a pillow that looks remarkably like Danny DeVito, and a hat that looks remarkably like Posh Spice. These would make any collector jealous of my trade list.

People bitching about collectors on the vinyl COLLECTIVE forum... Let it soak in.

Do people really waste their time worrying about what other people buy and if they really play it?

Pretentious vinyl collectors have been around forever. Now the internet gives them all a place to show it and labels a way to exploit it.

And it's already been said, but vinyl is no different than collecting toys, video games, salt shakers, cars, etc... You'll find the same type of collectors in every community.

Wah.