Limit new user capabilities?

Poll: Limit new user capabilities?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think would have the most positive impact on this community?

• Restricting new users to join by "invite only"
    • Restricting new users' ability to start threads with a waiting period
    • Keep on keepin' on
    • Let's all just have a gentlemen's agreement to cut it out

Is someone collecting all these ideas? Can we get the ability to adjust our time zones or something? I don't like to think. It doesn't really matter on posting but sometimes it's valuable to know if someone read a pm a while ago or recently.

It says what time they read it. Or least the last time they read the conversation.

Is someone collecting all these ideas? Can we get the ability to adjust our time zones or something? I don't like to think. It doesn't really matter on posting but sometimes it's valuable to know if someone read a pm a while ago or recently.

MY SETTINGS > PROFLE SETTINGS > TIMEZONES

If you go to your settings you can totally adjust it. If you click your settings from the dropdown menu I THINK it is on the first screen. 

i support any and all decisions that make it easier to weed through bickering and flaming to get to good information / conversation.  i wish i had more time to dedicate to this place, but it's tough with work and what have you.  i also think there is a time and a place for the senseless comedy (yocaseycasey); i appreciate the laughs after a long day.

also, is there a way to give bonus points to people posting new material outside of the typical genres / bands that are around.  not that the content needs to change, but appealing to diverse tastes would be engaging.

I am only one of 4 mods and part owner of VC but I am going to pool my time and resources hopefully make VC a better community. We are all extremely busy but we do care and want to make place a great place.

see, you guys say that, but then when we need shit to happen, it never does. you guys help run SRC, and i understand its hard to balance your jobs and running a distro AND a huge community like this. You guys just need extra help.

i hope you guys at least have the chance to read through really vital/important threads like this, so the voice of the people is heard when things need to happen for OUR community. as a collective. A VINYL COLLECTIVE. /cheesy.

if nobody is going to collect the ideas for juan, i will spend an hour or so doing it myself. juan seems to be the only gateway for us to get through to the 3 admins of this place, and im so very grateful for juan. seriously.

^This

The more I read and think about this the less I like the idea of limiting a users posting abilities. Who are we to say what you can and cannot post? If some noobie makes a thread asking a common question, thats where the mods should come in and clean it up. If we had more, or they were more active then I believe this thread wouldn't have been made in the first place.

But I guess if you must put a limit to things, I suggest keeping it to a low number before a thread can be made, like 20. I know if I joined a community and tried making a new thread and it was denied or awaiting approval, I would say fuck that and leave. Seriously, "you must wait until 100 posts to create a new thread." Right, who the fucks waiting around for that?

A simple welcome message would do, shit the XDA Forums have a youtube video instructing new users how to use the boards without being a jackass. Of course their community is much, much larger.

I agree the board is really offputting these days, but I'm not so sure any action should be taken other than people growing up. Be the change you want to see. Maybe make a global announcement about not being a dick and reminding everybody that vinyl was new to all of us at one time or another. While something may seem trivial to some of us, it may not be so obvious to others.

New users come here with a genuine interest in vinyl, perhaps post a "ridiculous" question by many of our standards, and are subsequently mocked off the board. It's fucking stupid. If you know the answer to somebody's question, no matter how much of a given it may seem to be, what's the harm in answering it? It seems that too many threads these days seems to get derailed and turn into an unnecessary spam contest, with the same handful of users contaminating them all.

That said, I think making it invite only would be terrible for the "community". It's crazy how few people from just a couple years ago are even still active, this would only serve to further inhibit the board's growth, which would in turn make the incessant spamming of a select few even more of a bother.

Of course, this is page 9, and without reading the previous 8, I'm sure by this point the thread has moved far past the point of constructive input.

1. Rad is the only one who has made any good points in this thread.

2. Heavier moderation/more subforums are a death sentence. More mods, sure, but aside from some of the unchecked petty bickering, this forum is regulated enough as is. Trying to discourage off-topic posting/making fun of new posters/GIF replies would make this place 100x more boring. And the vinyl/everything else split is all the division any discussion here needs. If I want real in-depth discussions about video games or whatever, I'll go find a forum centered around that interest.

3. Let new posters do whatever they want. Trial by fire, if they can survive being mocked for their shitty taste in music and being bombarded with blackkidwoah.gifs, they can stick around. Some of the cool regular posters here really sucked when they first joined, and that's okay. I probably sucked when I joined too, there just weren't as many people around to notice.

4. Rad 4 Mod 4 Real 2K13

I say keep things the way they are but make it so you need 50 posts before making new topics. That way, new users can get used to the board a little before trying to make new topics. 50 posts isn't very many at all, but enough to let people get the hang of things. It would also decrease the amount of brand new users who just come to "sell stuff" and rip people off.

I agree the board is really offputting these days, but I'm not so sure any action should be taken other than people growing up. Be the change you want to see. Maybe make a global announcement about not being a dick and reminding everybody that vinyl was new to all of us at one time or another. While something may seem trivial to some of us, it may not be so obvious to others.

New users come here with a genuine interest in vinyl, perhaps post a "ridiculous" question by many of our standards, and are subsequently mocked off the board. It's fucking stupid. If you know the answer to somebody's question, no matter how much of a given it may seem to be, what's the harm in answering it? It seems that too many threads these days seems to get derailed and turn into an unnecessary spam contest, with the same handful of users contaminating them all.

Exactly my thoughts on this.