Black Friday Record Store Day--November 2013

For those looking at the Grinch soundtrack, I have noticed this while browsing gohastings.com:

http://www.gohastings.com/product/POPMUSIC/Hastings-Exclusive-How-the-Grinch-Stole-Christmas-LP-Green/sku/286422823.uts

Looks like its probably this pressing:

http://www.discogs.com/release/4073278

Thanks. I definitely want this.

Any experiences ordering records through gohastings?

A lot of people have had hit-and-miss experiences with gohastings.com. The orders are fulfilled through their retail stores, so whether or not a record is packaged properly is up to a retail employee that likely makes minimum wage, though my understanding is their employees are instructed to use proper LP mailers (which my orders almost always arrive in). There is also some confusion in regards to sending out CDs vs. vinyl, though usually with used items.

That being said, I have ordered somewhere around 20 records from them, including one that arrived last week. Once or twice they arrived in a large box, and once they sent me a CD. Their customer service was very helpful in processing a return & refund for the CD. The records sent in a large box were not damaged, so I did not bother returning them.

I do not hesitate to order from them if they have something hard to find or at a good price.

The Kind Of Blue mono will be around for a while. IMHO, if it sounds anything like the stereo press from 2009, you should grab it.

Hard to say with this one. It's the most popular jazz album of all time. And while it was repressed for its 50th a few years back, they didn't do a mono press. And I may be wrong, but I don't think there has been a mono pressing since the original run of LPs in the 50s. There is a demand for it. So it really depends on how many they decide to press and the demand.

Personally, I'd buy KoB sooner than later. Yeah, you'll be able to get this after BF, but I wouldn't wait through the holidays.

I did read once that Sony couldn't track down the masters for the mono mix. I'm curious as to the linage of this reissue.

Looking through the lists over and over and have basically decided I probably won't be picking up anything. Nas single is way overpriced, the MIles represses are overpriced (imo) and the Civil Wars/Lana releases don't really interest me now that much...also In Utero is pretty pricey too. I'd rather have the OG pressing if I was gonna spend that much on that record.

I did read once that Sony couldn't track down the masters for the mono mix. I'm curious as to the linage of this reissue.

This probably is no longer the thread for this, but its pretty interesting if you want some insight to this Kind of Blue reissue.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/miles-davis-kind-blue-monophonic-reissue-sonylegacy-analog-planet-exclusive

flaming lips x enders game, i'm in

just finished re reading enders game, gonna re read shadow of a giant next.

i fully expect to be let down by the enders game movie.

Agreed. It's been one of my favorite books since I was little. I can't tell if the movie looks good, but it'll probably be bad, and I'll still see it anyway.

Definitely interested in a Ender's Game inspired Flaming Lips record as well.