Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I've been wondering that for years....

same place where 500 (five hundred) Russian Circles Memorial Translucent Grays went - the black hole of European postrockers' collections, only to be pried from their cold dead fingers. 

agree with Charlie above on the Tertia, no way 150 of those are in the black hole. 

same place where 500 (five hundred) Russian Circles Memorial Translucent Grays went - the black hole of European postrockers' collections, only to be pried from their cold dead fingers. 

agree with Charlie above on the Tertia, no way 150 of those are in the black hole. 

They have to be somewhere. I feel like I'm be able to get a time machine to go back to 2009 to buy a copy before I find one to buy in 2016...

So good.

Yes. I haven't listened to much else in the couple weeks it has been in my possession.

I've been pining to revisit it, lately, but few things seem more fitting for celebrating 30. I know it's not quite over the hill, but I'll probably be wrestling with the idea of mortality and the proverbial "bigger picture" when that time comes for me, in a few years. I can't think of anything better for that sort of wallowing and reflection.

Found myself listening to Old Stories quite a lot the past few weeks...so good! Especially O'Tide! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Ha! This is my favorite Giants song from that album, followed by Sleeping False Idol.

But O'Tide is so fucking good. I love this album.

I've been pining to revisit it, lately, but few things seem more fitting for celebrating 30. I know it's not quite over the hill, but I'll probably be wrestling with the idea of mortality and the proverbial "bigger picture" when that time comes for me, in a few years. I can't think of anything better for that sort of wallowing and reflection.

Yeah man, it's super weird. You shed a large segment of your identity: being in your 20's. I mean, nothing really changes other than that, but... it can mess with how you process things and view yourself and where you should be in life.

Making some big changes soon re: school and work. Won't cut my hair though. Fuck that. I donate that shit when I cut it, so I'm keeping it long.

Where the ages steal is my fave Giants song. I also spun They, The Undeserving this morning completley coincedently.

Anybody know if they are planning anymore releases soon?

I remember speaking to them on facebook a while back, in fact it was April 2014 and they replied this to me...

Thanks for buying all of the releases man! It really does mean a lot to us. We are not totally sure who would end up putting the new music out. We have a good relationship with The Mylene Sheath and Cavity Records so I'm not sure what we'll end up doing.

We are planning on practicing in 2 weeks and recording sometime in May so I'm sure we'll be posting a more info on here soon.

Thanks again, Mark!

-James

Thats nearly 2 years ago now.

So, the verdict is in. I will be buying We Lost The Sea - Departure Songs.

This album is awesome. My only problem is that the main parts of the song take so long to get to, but when they do arrive, they're fucking sick.

It's such a super dynamic album... so much quiet, and then so much power. Gonna put my order through from Translation Loss today!

Something old (but maybe new to you)... East Of The Wall's "Farmer's Almanac."

Their debut will surprise you, if you are like me and only heard of them when they did the split with Rosetta.  New Prog, Prog metal, with vocals, not in the post- realm at all.

This sounds like a totally different band. Instrumental, postrock, no metal, and it was pressed on 180gm vinyl. tons of copies left. Worth checking out, an album I visit every couple months.

Listen here:  https://eastofthewall.bandcamp.com/album/farmers-almanac-2013-remaster

Buy here: http://nefariousindustries.com/releases/nef-10/

I've checked out some of East of The Wall... I forget which album it was. Some parts were great, but overall it was much too proggy and mathy for me. Just too much going on. Great at what they do, sure, and they totally have a unique sound, but just not something I found myself latching on to at all really. Just not my thing.

Totally down for checking more out though.

Something old (but maybe new to you)... East Of The Wall's "Farmer's Almanac."

Their debut will surprise you, if you are like me and only heard of them when they did the split with Rosetta.  New Prog, Prog metal, with vocals, not in the post- realm at all.

This sounds like a totally different band. Instrumental, postrock, no metal, and it was pressed on 180gm vinyl. tons of copies left. Worth checking out, an album I visit every couple months.

Listen here:  https://eastofthewall.bandcamp.com/album/farmers-almanac-2013-remaster

Buy here: http://nefariousindustries.com/releases/nef-10/

Woah. Some of these riff sections absolutely CRUSH. Good lord. The double bass parts of Meat Pendulum... ohhhh yeahhhhh!

I like East of Wall. Preferably their early stuff like you posted, Don. My favorite is their split with Rosetta and Year of No Light, which you know how pretty it is. If memory serves you have the blue haze variant.

I remember seeing the jacket and thinking "Why do all these copies have such horrible ringwear?" lol

Got all 3, the Blue was forever available at Interpunk in Richmond for cheap, I must have bought 3 or 4 copies  - Dave got a bunch from Denovali, I don't think he distros much Denovali anymore.

The brown I got from sharkticon and the Black eluded me for some time being the /100 and seemingly also in the European Black Hole of Post Rock album, and then Kyle on the boards here put one up for $25 on a Friday night. (also found another not 1 week later).  I PM'ed everyone on DF looking for the Black and no one would trade or sell theirs - which turned out to be a great thing.

I'd love to see a Test Press of that one; it's on my search/want list at discogs though I'm not on a hot mission for the missing Rosetta TP's.

Woah. Some of these riff sections absolutely CRUSH. Good lord. The double bass parts of Meat Pendulum... ohhhh yeahhhhh!

It's a bit mathy and prog-leaning at times, sounding somewhat like AAL thematically, but I still put it in the post-everything bucket esp. if toe and Leech are there as well.

It's a bit mathy and prog-leaning at times, sounding somewhat like AAL thematically, but I still put it in the post-everything bucket esp. if toe and Leech are there as well.

Yeah I listened to more of it and it just kind of got lost on me. Too much going on; my friends all eat this stuff up though haha.

That being said, I DID discover something today. And that is how fucking INCREDIBLE The End of The Ocean is. My god. You can tell the lineage from Sunlight Ascending (and Trish is still fucking gorgeous. I have such a crush on her).

Spent some time trying to hunt down physical copies of their shit early today... no luck at all, haha.

Did get my copies of Fall of Messiah - Empty Colors ordered today though! CD and LP... can't fucking wait to get this.

Yeah I listened to more of it and it just kind of got lost on me. Too much going on; my friends all eat this stuff up though haha.

That being said, I DID discover something today. And that is how fucking INCREDIBLE The End of The Ocean is. My god. You can tell the lineage from Sunlight Ascending (and Trish is still fucking gorgeous. I have such a crush on her).

Spent some time trying to hunt down physical copies of their shit early today... no luck at all, haha.

Did get my copies of Fall of Messiah - Empty Colors ordered today though! CD and LP... can't fucking wait to get this.

If you think recorded End of the Ocean is good, you NEED to see them live.  It's almost like a whole other band.  Absolutely up there with the best bands I have seen live.

No vinyl for them, but I do have a CD copy of In Excelsis with hand-stamped cover and a lathe cut track on the flip side of the CD /200.

s5gs9c.png

• jhulud locked this topic