**ALSO READ BEFORE POSTING!** Advanced Guidelines for VC Success

Derek™

This thread started out as a parody, but was then beefed up with answers to questions and tidbits of information that a lot of new members may not know. Lock it. Merge it. Elaborate on it. Do what you feel. If there's positive reception here, I will definitely flesh it out and make it into a VC Newbie Guide, in an attempt to address the majority of reoccurring questions before they can even be asked.

==========

In order to sell, trade, and buy records without being shat on, we would like to bring out some new guidelines. Most of them are common sense, but it’s becoming apparent that said common sense is sometimes left outside the forums. Please do read these rules and take them on board; ignorance is no excuse for being clueless.

!! Editing a Thread

So you bought or sold something, and now you want set up another transaction? Please edit the title of the thread appropriately, revising as much detail where possible. This prevents the forum from running rampant with excessive requests. To edit the title of topic, click the Edit button of the thread's first post, followed by the Use Full Editor button. (Note: you only have this ability if you possess the first post of the thread, and are thus the thread creator.) Revise as you see fit. An added benefit to this is the accumulation of replies and views. Members are more likely to pay attention to a five page thread with actual discussion and transactions taking place, than five separate threads where the OP posts the word "bump" or "." in succession.

!! Ebay Threads 2.0

Don't make them. But if you must, they should be posted here, as specified. Furthermore, if you do choose to use the designated thread, and are asking ridiculous Buy It Now prices - or have set absurd reserves - the community is entitled to harass and troll you. Think of it as a small cost of doing business around these here parts.

!! Courtesy 2.0

Do not be shitty.

As a buyer; do not troll sellers with lowball prices. Offering $0.99 for a $15 record isn't funny, and impresses no one. Nor is trading a MC Hammer 7" for a copy of Deja Entendu. No one wants to read through sarcastic offers. Come back when you mean business. Or when you have something more clever to suggest, at the least.

As a seller;

• Do not strut in here looking for "close to eBay" prices.
  • Do not gloat about the 10+ copies of the Hot Topic exclusive you have for sale.
  • Do not use top dollar Popsike auctions as a reference to what you think your records are worth.
  • Do not say "PM with offers", and proceed to ignore any price you're not satisfied with.
  • Do not expect to receive what you paid for your records. Especially if you overpaid.
!! Bumping 2.0

Please post entertaining GIFs, videos, or links while bumping a thread. We get that you're looking to complete your Circa collection. You've made it very clear. But why not have some common courtesy and avoid boring us to death in the process?

!! Disputes 2.0

Public shaming is the way to go... assuming you've been reasonable and have tried to contact the other party on several occasions. Sometimes shit happens. Such is life. There is no need to panic until it has become blatantly clear that you're being ripped off. At which point the rest of us would love to read the conflict, weigh in, and critically judge the offender.

!! Communication 2.0

Communication is key. If you don't have e-mail notifications synchronized with your private messages, you're doing it wrong.

!! Sale Spoiling 2.0

"Please do not march into a thread and state that you can get an item for $X on eBay or some other online store. Or that you're selling the same item for less. If you think their price may be too high, don't be rude about it. If others feel the same way, then it won't sell."

While this is true, it can (and should) be negated if the seller is being a complete asshole. (Exhibit A.) VC rules state that members shouldn't interfere with a sale thread, but this rule only carries so much weight. I don't care how many times you may quote the guidelines or try to cower behind this rule; if you're trying to sell a record that's readily available for 200% of its MSRP, you're gonna' have a bad time. The community is quick to call out the bullshitters and blatant flippers. And that's a stank you can't easily shake.

!! Raffles 2.0

Under no circumstances will we allow users to host or conduct raffles on the boards... unless you're Secular Haze. In which case, raffle away.

!! PPD

PPD = Postage Paid. The total cost, with shipping included.

!! Math & Costs

Just so we're in the clear.

When you sell something on eBay, you receive ~86% of the final selling price. (-~14%)

When you sell something on Discogs, you receive ~92% of the final selling price. (-~8%)

This is why it's practically expected that you'll be asking for a lower selling price here at Vinyl Collective. At the absolute maximum, you should be asking for the average eBay cost minus 14%. This puts the same amount of money in your pocket - compared to selling on eBay - and gives a fellow VC member a nice little price break.

To ship a single record in the U.S., the base price is $2.98. Add a dollar for tracking. Most people tack on an additional dollar for every additional item.

!! Paypal

This is the preferred method of payment. When sending money via Paypal, your address is not automatically included. You need to provide this to the seller via PM, or in the comments section of your Paypal transaction. I prefer both places to be safe.

When you send money via Paypal, you have two options.

GIFT

You can Gift the payment. (This option is now specified as "Payment to Friends and Family", I believe.) This should only be done with members your trust.

+ Pros: they receive 100% of the funds you send.

- Cons: assuming the exchange goes south, Paypal cannot intervene, and you cannot be refunded. When you Gift a payment, consider that money gone for good. This is why it's critical to make sure it goes into the right hands.

EXCHANGE FOR GOODS

This is to be used when dealing with members you aren't familiar with, and is a safe rule of thumb in general. This is specified by ticking the "Exchange for goods or services" button in Paypal. Paypal will pocket 3% of the total transaction; you will have the option of taking the hit on your end, as a buyer [which just means you'll be paying a tad more], or you can deduct it from the amount the seller will be receiving. The latter is rude, in my opinion. The seller should be receiving an amount for the price you've agreed on, and not a penny less.

+ Pros: your purchase is backed. If there is a dispute of any sort, Paypal is able to investigate and intervene.

- Cons: you're paying an extra 3% on top of your transaction.

In this section:

While this is true, it can (and should) be negated if the seller is being a complete asshole.  (Exhibit A.)  VC rules state that members shouldn't interfere with a sale thread, but this rule only cares so much weight.

I think you mean carries so much weight. :) Just a suggestion to tidy it up. 

I love the attempt to encourage mature behavior on a forum filled with a bunch of kids.  Good luck with that.  So far, a lot of the people I've encountered on this board (particularly the ones that feel they have some sort of superiority or tenure over others because they've been around longer) are nothing more than condescending jerk-offs that think they know everything, whine about everything, and treat the "outsiders" like crap.  I want to say the nice guy/mean guy ratio is about 1/5.  Proceed with the downvotes, but remember, no amount of downvotes are going to make what I said untrue.

I love the attempt to encourage mature behavior on a forum filled with a bunch of kids. Good luck with that. So far, a lot of the people I've encountered on this board (particularly the ones that feel they have some sort of superiority or tenure over others because they've been around longer) are nothing more than condescending jerk-offs that think they know everything, whine about everything, and treat the "outsiders" like crap. I want to say the nice guy/mean guy ratio is about 1/5. Proceed with the downvotes, but remember, no amount of downvotes are going to make what I said untrue.

Shut your damn mouth.

To ship a single record in the U.S., the base price is $2.98. Add a dollar for tracking. Most people tack on an additional dollar for every additional item.

This.

I can't tell you guys how many times I've seen an item for a decent price over on Discogs, then I go to click on the "shipping terms," and right under a heading that says MEDIA MAIL, the guy's trying to charge people $6-$8 for shipping a single record. Outrageous.

I love the attempt to encourage mature behavior on a forum filled with a bunch of kids.  Good luck with that.  So far, a lot of the people I've encountered on this board (particularly the ones that feel they have some sort of superiority or tenure over others because they've been around longer) are nothing more than condescending jerk-offs that think they know everything, whine about everything, and treat the "outsiders" like crap.  I want to say the nice guy/mean guy ratio is about 1/5.  Proceed with the downvotes, but remember, no amount of downvotes are going to make what I said untrue.

I'm not sure if I missed something in this thread or another, but I have no idea where this is coming from. Sorry.

Everything looks great, but I'm confused on the part about no raffles. And why would one user (albeit an awesome one) be exempt from this rule?

A portion of this thread is just copied and pasted from the original guidelines thread. I was initially just elaborating and expanding on each subject that Juan had outlined before deciding to include my own content. I think paid raffles are against the rules. And since Sec Haze is notoriously known for doing free ones, I threw his name out there... though in truth, anyone doing a free raffle would be in the clear. I'll likely elaborate on that, as I plan to revise a few bits here and there.

either you have alot of time on your hands and figured this would pass the time, orrrrr derek4mod :rolleyes: '14

Wait, wait. Wait. Because I want to contribute something positive to the community and avoid answering the same exact questions in the future, repeatedly, I've either got too much free time or I'm trying to be a mod? Okay. The only part of your post that rings true is that eye-roll emoticon. Give me a break, man.

Like I said. This thread was exceptionally sarcastic in its early stages. I created it in light of recent events, where a few members have tried to hide behind the initial sale guidelines as a means of justified flipping. But instead of just posting a thread explaining why flipping is discouraged here at VC, I though I'd address some misconceptions and common questions for people who've never made a transaction before. Fuck me for wanting to be helpful, right? Yeah, the thread maybe took 20 minutes to write out, format, and arrange... but I don't think it was a waste of time, and I certainly don't see it as a try-hard request to be a moderator. Not everyone in life is working an angle or expecting something in return of their contribution.

Wait, wait. Wait. Because I want to contribute something positive to the community and avoid answering the same exact questions in the future, repeatedly, I've either got too much free time or I'm trying to be a mod? Okay. The only part of your post that rings true is that eye-roll emoticon. Give me a break, man.

Like I said. This thread was exceptionally sarcastic in its early stages.

Simply ringing in more sarcasm. Giving you as big of a break as I can.

I would really hope so. I don't expect this thread to be stickied or to become a big deal, but I would like to be able to link to the first post when information needs to be shared. There's a very good possibility that someone who doesn't know what PPD entails is probably unaware of Paypal fees, Gifting payments, eBay cuts, etc. I really hope to knock out as many birds as I can with one stone.

Which is to say that you guys are more than welcome to chip in with anything I may have forgotten or have overlooked. There's no way I addressed 100% of it.

!! Sale Spoiling 2.0

"Please do not march into a thread and state that you can get an item for $X on eBay or some other online store. Or that you're selling the same item for less. If you think their price may be too high, don't be rude about it. If others feel the same way, then it won't sell."

While this is true, it can (and should) be negated if the seller is being a complete asshole. (Exhibit A.) VC rules state that members shouldn't interfere with a sale thread, but this rule only carries so much weight. I don't care how many times you may quote the guidelines or try to cower behind this rule; if you're trying to sell a record that's readily available for 200% of its MSRP, you're gonna' have a bad time. The community is quick to call out the bullshitters and blatant flippers. And that's a stank you can't easily shake.

Amen.

Where do the 8 and 14% for discogs and ebay come from? I thought ebay and discogs were both 9%? Plus another 3% for paypal.

I've been informed that eBay is actually 10% + $0.40.  The ~14% is a number I've determined from the sales I've done through eBay, once eBay and Paypal both take their share.

Discogs is 8% as listed in their terms of agreement.

This.

I can't tell you guys how many times I've seen an item for a decent price over on Discogs, then I go to click on the "shipping terms," and right under a heading that says MEDIA MAIL, the guy's trying to charge people $6-$8 for shipping a single record. Outrageous.

While shipping and tracking is less than $4, this doesn't take into account the cost of mailers and time it takes to package and ship a record. There's a reason stores call it shipping and handling. That said, $6-$8 is definitely ridiculous and unacceptable.