2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

Random question that's been bothering me since it was announced: What's the appeal of MGMT's Oracular Spectacular being re-released on "180 gram vinyl"? Hasn't it ALWAYS been available that way... and at $16.99 vs. the RSD price of $24.99?

I mean, I get Congratulations... That's been OOP for a couple years. But if OS went OOP, it was *only* in the last couple months. Seems like they could've simply done another run, but instead chose to hype this as an RSD release... and jack the price in the process.

I think you answered your own question.

Just an FYI, Oracular Spectacular always was a $22.98 list price. I just checked the original sales info we received from Sony in 2008 and it doesn't say anything about it being 180 gram vinyl. That makes me suspect it was 120 gram, which makes sense for an artist's first release at the very beginning of the "vinyl resurgance." I think the 180 gram vinyl is worth the extra $2, at least to those who don't own it yet.

Hey Chris@Bull Moose

Why are some of the things that are supposedly "unofficial" RSD releases in the US (e.g Dads Woman EP, Mae Destination Beautiful, etc.) not on the US list but on most of the overseas lists like in the UK, France, Netherlands, etc.?

Is it because of the distributors that these releases are going through?  Why are not all distributors part of RSD, as they are getting music to stores?

Secretly Canadian Announces

Songs: Ohia Record Store Day Box Set

'Journey On: Collected Singles'

3hhs_SC2002_1.jpg

Secretly Canadian is thrilled to announce Journey On: Collected Singles, a deluxe box set of rare recordings from Jason Molina's Songs: Ohia, for Record Store Day 2014.

Gathered within Journey On: Collected Singles are the charming, haunting and elegantly disparate moments lost in the void of limited pressings and merch tables across Songs: Ohia's six year course. With this set of thoughtfully resurrected tokens listeners will have something tangible by which to remember a great artist gone too soon as well as these cherished moments.

This set of nine 7"s is packaged in a clothbound, foil-stamped clamshell box and accompanied by a 24-page booklet, a CD containing all tracks, and a custom 7" turntable adaptor with the iconic Songs: Ohia crossbow logo lazer-etched in wood.

Pick up one of these gorgeous box sets from your local record store on April 19th.

Stream the track "Soul" now via Soundcloud.

3hhs_SC2004.jpg

3hhs_MG2839.jpg

3hhs_SC2005.jpg

Songs: Ohia

Journey On: Collected Singles

Out April 19th - Record Store Day

Tracklist (9 x 7-inch + CD)

1A - "Boys"

1B - "Trans Am"

2A - "Freedom Pt. 2"

2B - "Soul"

3A - "Waltham: Simply Unite The Name"

3B - "Napoleon: How We Have Ranged"

4A - "Vanquisher"

4B - "Nay Tis Not Death"

5A - "7th Street Wonderland"

5B - "Darling You Are..."

6A - "How To Be Perfect Men"

6B - "Journey On"

7A - "Fade Street"

7B - "Lioness"

8A - "The Gray Tower"

8B - "Black Link to Fire Link"

9A - "Keep It Steady" 

9B - "United of Lost Alone"

gar_asset.jpg

THE DOORS STRIKE "GOLD" AGAIN 

FOR RECORD STORE DAY

The Legendary Band Reissues Its Rare 1972 Compilation 

Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine As A Limited Edition Double-LP Set 

On Translucent Amber Swirled Vinyl 

Available Exclusively At Participating Independent Record Stores On April 19

LOS ANGELES - For Record Store Day 2014, The Doors dug deep into the band's legendary past to uncover WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLD MINE. Originally released in 1972 and long out-of-print, this gold-certified double album was the first compilation to be released after Jim Morrison's death in 1971.

WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLD MINE will be available on April 19 as a limited edition double-LP set exclusively at select independent music retailers for a suggested list price of $27.98. Beautiful and rare in equal measure, production of this translucent amber swirled vinyl set is limited to 5,500 numbered copies worldwide. For a list of participating stores, please visit www.recordstoreday.com.

The 22 songs that appear on the collection provide a wide-ranging introduction to the music recorded between 1967-71 by the original quartet, John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison. The band's longtime engineer Bruce Botnick remastered the music heard on this reissue, which takes its title from a lyric in "The End."

Mixing familiar cuts and deep tracks from six studio albums, WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLD MINE touches on everything from hits like "Break On Through" and "Love Her Madly" to unexpected delights like "The Spy" from Morrison Hotel and "Running Blue" from The Soft Parade.

Adding yet another dimension to the album's track list is the inclusion of two stellar b-sides: "Who Scared You" which appeared in March 1969 as the flipside to "Wishful Sinful," and a cover of Willie Dixon's "(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further" which was paired with the smash "Love Her Madly" in 1971. 

Rhino will release the collection on CD for the very first time as a double-disc set on May 20 for a suggested list price of $19.98.

WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLD MINE
LP Track Listing

Side One
1.    "Break On Through"
2.    "Strange Days"
3.    "Shaman's Blues"
4.    "Love Street"
5.    "Peace Frog/Blue Sunday"
6.    "The Wasp (Texas Radio & The Big Beat)"
7.    "End Of The Night"

Side Two
1.    "Love Her Madly"
2.    "Spanish Caravan"
3.    "Ship Of Fools"
4.    "The Spy"
5.    "The End"

Side Three
1.    "Take It As It Comes"
2.    "Running Blue"
3.    "L.A. Woman"
4.    "Five To One"
5.    "Who Scared You"
6.    "(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further"

Side Four
1.    "Riders On The Storm"
2.    "Maggie McGill"
3.    "Horse Latitudes"
4.    "When The Music's Over"

I put the price list here. Just remember that they are suggested list prices so some stores will charge more or less than this. Nobody is supposed to charge way more than these prices but a little extra might be OK.

Thanks for publishing this. Good to know how much I'm actually getting taken for... I called my store out on Black Friday for gouging on the DMB boxsets. They sold them for $98 and $116 respectively when list was like $65 and $80. I wasn't looking to be a dick about it I just mentioned my surprise at the price on twitter and they came at me pretty hard. It sucks because they generally get most everything (I'm betting they'll have at least one cake box) and their prices are generally pretty good except for on the really ltd stuff those are through the roof.

Seeing those 311 reissues seriously made my day. I'll be picking those up even though they're gonna cost way too much and I'll be able to get a copy in a few months for cheaper.

Those will be first and foremost, but other stuff I might be able to convince myself to get:

Elastica (though it might cost as much as an OG press (lol))

Man Man

Deerhoof/Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog

Nirvana Covers

A Silver Mt. Zion

I'm glad the Cake box set is happening but I only really want Comfort Eagle. Also, I'm mad that we're getting an MCR shirt instead of a repress of Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge.

This year is gonna be my first, haven't been this interested in the releases the past couple of years.

Circa Survive/Sunny Day 7"

The Dodos Yours Truly Session

Bastille 10"

Chvrches Recover EP 12"

Banks Remixes 12"

BTBAM Colors Live

Sky Ferreira Picture Disc

Would also pay copious dollars for that School of Seven Bells release.

I think I read something about a Whitney Houston Cover on it.

Edit: 180 Gramm / exklusive B Seite: Whitney Houston Cover / Farbiges Vinyl (colored vinyl) from http://www.recordstoredaygermany.de/exklusive-releases/exklusive-releases-2014/

hmm... the "Lies" 12" has the whitney houston cover (it's not right, but it's okay).

Do we know for sure whether or not the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon release is a 2xLP? I've heard some conflicting stuff and I don't know if there's been anything definitive.

The most definitive I've seen is; the label's Facebook page where they link to a factmag article for more info, which details it as a double LP. https://www.facebook.com/InvadaRecordsUK