The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation out May 14th

• 4 months later...

I was just wondering if anyone else who owns a copy of this has noticed a lot of background noise during the quieter parts of 'The Devil in my Bloodstream'? As the song progresses, the hiss just turns to distortion in the heavier parts. Did I just get a bad copy, or is this a known issue? Has anyone had any luck getting bad copies exchanged? Thanks!

All the copies on blue are fucked, they sent me two more after I complained directly to Hopeless. Apparently the issue stems from the album being too long for a single LP (maximum length of music to 1 LP = 45 minutes)

The same issue is present on Balance And Composure's TTWTWM.

i still find the middle of this record super boring.

i really dig tracks 1,2,4,5,6, and i'm always bored once teenage parents ends.

teenage parents has grown on me more. of the second-half songs i listen to chaser and cul-de-sac occasionally, but i agree, after track 7, it's pretty much toast. i absolutely loathe madelyn. regardless of its sentiment i think it completely derails the album.

everyone ripped on the last track for being derivative but i think it's really powerful.

Apparently the issue stems from the album being too long for a single LP (maximum length of music to 1 LP = 45 minutes)

it's cool and shitty that they acknowledge what the problem is because that means they probably knew in the first place, and just wanted to cut corners to cut costs. i made this same remark back when the album came out, that i was surprised they went with a single LP because it's a few minutes too long compared to what's "standard." hopefully any future reissue is a double-LP. 

All the copies on blue are fucked, they sent me two more after I complained directly to Hopeless. Apparently the issue stems from the album being too long for a single LP (maximum length of music to 1 LP = 45 minutes)

The same issue is present on Balance And Composure's TTWTWM.

Yo, hit me up. I still have that Déjà Entendu sealed for you if you wanted to trade those Anberlin records. Let me know if you still want it. Thanks! Pm me

Is this a serious post? Fuck. 

Not sure if that's a serious question or not? But, yeah, I think so. Why try to cram everything onto 1 record and end up with compromised quality. If I'm choosing to buy something on vinyl, I know I already really like it and want to hear it without compromised quality. I think this shitty pressing is a perfect example. I wasted say like $19 on something I don't even want to listen to because it sounds like shit. I'd have happily shelled out $5-10 more for something that is listenable. 

Not sure if that's a serious question or not? But, yeah, I think so. Why try to cram everything onto 1 record and end up with compromised quality. If I'm choosing to buy something on vinyl, I know I already really like it and want to hear it without compromised quality. I think this shitty pressing is a perfect example. I wasted say like $19 on something I don't even want to listen to because it sounds like shit. I'd have happily shelled out $5-10 more for something that is listenable. 

Yeah but if there is a crummy master that isn't gonna change anything. Length isn't always the problem. 

The main factor in any record sounding bad is the length of the record. This release in particular must have been too long for how it was pressed and probably should have been a double LP. A very large majority of records don't have this issue because they don't push the parameters of what an LP can hold. You're pretty much saying every release should be a double LP, which I think is crazy from a labels perspective, as well as a consumer's. 

The main factor in any record sounding bad is the length of the record. This release in particular must have been too long for how it was pressed and probably should have been a double LP. A very large majority of records don't have this issue because they don't push the parameters of what an LP can hold. You're pretty much saying every release should be a double LP, which I think is crazy from a labels perspective, as well as a consumer's. 

That's fair. Maybe saying every release should be a double LP is a bit of an exaggeration on my part. I guess my point is that albums are generally longer now than they were when everything was primarily released on Vinyl. So, when I see a new(er) release thats > 10 tracks or > 45 minutes in length, I get a weary when its only a single LP release. So, in that sense, I'd rather these releases be cut onto 2 LPs. 

• 3 months later...