"The Vinyl Bubble"

hard to read but the idea in itself is reasonable. i think we all think/know the "trend" will die eventually, it's just a matter of when. probably when labels get overzealous with their "limited" presses (and re-presses) to the point where nothing is truly limited anymore, and secondhand values start to tank. it'll drive out the owners/flippers who purely collect and don't really listen.

the pull-out quote from the second image is the most important takeaway: be patient.

hard to read but the idea in itself is reasonable. i think we all think/know the "trend" will die eventually, it's just a matter of when. probably when labels get overzealous with their "limited" presses (and re-presses) to the point where nothing is truly limited anymore, and secondhand values start to tank. it'll drive out the owners/flippers who purely collect and don't really listen.

the pull-out quote from the second image is the most important takeaway: be patient.

I'd also say crazy cash grab prices from labels and retailers will start to kill the trend a little and drive some of those types away as well.

This article is mainly written on the false premise that collecting records is no different than collecting comic books or Beanie Babies.  The difference is, nearly everyone consumes music and perhaps there is a shifting paradigm in the way people want to consume it.  To put things in perspective, that article was written a half decade ago.  The lifespan of the cassette was about ten years.  The "vinyl bubble" has been growing for nearly as long as the lifespan of an entire media format.  We're also seeing steady growth, not an explosion in popularity as you'd expect with a trend or fad.  I don't see it "popping" any time soon.  I think it will peak in the next few years and hopefully plateau. 

I should also say that when this article was written, I would have agreed with the author.  The five or six years of perspective has changed my opinion. 

there will definitely be a number of people who are willing to buy disney soundtracks on picture discs that will someday stop buying vinyl because they realized they wasted a ton of money on them and it's not making them happy anymore. 

but for those of us that don't have to have every expensive variant and mostly buy them to listen to them because they sound great on a proper set up, i think we'll continue to buy them. 

This article is mainly written on the false premise that collecting records is no different than collecting comic books or Beanie Babies.  The difference is, nearly everyone consumes music and perhaps there is a shifting paradigm in the way people want to consume it.  To put things in perspective, that article was written a half decade ago.  The lifespan of the cassette was about ten years.  The "vinyl bubble" has been growing for nearly as long as the lifespan of an entire media format.  We're also seeing steady growth, not an explosion in popularity as you'd expect with a trend or fad.  I don't see it "popping" any time soon.  I think it will peak in the next few years and hopefully plateau. 

I should also say that when this article was written, I would have agreed with the author.  The five or six years of perspective has changed my opinion. 

Since records have the longevity of being the primary way to consume music since the inception of popular music, I would posit that it doesn't look like it, but we are in a 'revival' of sorts. If you look back to around 2008 or 2009, with the start of RSD, etc, things have been on the rise.

Remember, though records never died, during the early 90's after the massive change to compact disc preference, the primary people who were releasing albums on vinyl were punk/hardcore and indie labels. And yes, there were some major labels releasing vinyl, just not in the massive amounts of numbers like in the 60-70's and even still in the 80's, it was still sort of a niche market. Collecting records became a hobby in the 70's with the advent of the cassette. So the masses have always swayed toward new technology. Maybe if we're lucky, the new way to listen to music (digital, I guess) will take over even more and deflate the bubble we're in.

Remember, though records never died, during the early 90's after the massive change to compact disc preference, the primary people who were releasing albums on vinyl were punk/hardcore and indie labels. 

Well, not really. That can be correct from the whole mp3/Napster revolution in the mid '00s and on but techno/house/electronica/dj stuffs is what kept the record pressing plants in business during the '90s/early '00s.

While vinyl records went almost completly 'out of business' in that time frame for all the rock/punk/metal/indie/whatever labels, hiphop/electronica record shops were blooming and always filled with records and that's why you can now find endless crates of useless crap mixes on wax in any 2nd hand store any where in the world.

I can kind of already see the day where "physical" everything will be expensive, and stay expensive. I mean what can come after digital music? It would have to go straight in your brain or something.

Things like cassettes, Polaroids, vinyl and probably VHS don't have a bubble to me, they're all luxury items to people who can afford them, and those people will always exist.

Well, not really. That can be correct from the whole mp3/Napster revolution in the mid '00s and on but techno/house/electronica/dj stuffs is what kept the record pressing plants in business during the '90s/early '00s.

While vinyl records went almost completly 'out of business' in that time frame for all the rock/punk/metal/indie/whatever labels, hiphop/electronica record shops were blooming and always filled with records and that's why you can now find endless crates of useless crap mixes on wax in any 2nd hand store any where in the world.

Fair enough, since I don't listen to EDM, I didn't even consider it in the equation. But you're right, there's a lot of EDM/hip hop pressed in the 90's. Yet, I think you're not considering how much punk/indie music was released then. That's why there's a crap ton of punk 7"s from bands that you've never heard of in $1 bins.

The only reason 90% of new collectors "collect" to get likes on tumblr/instagram. Once people stop liking their pics, they'll stop buying and the whole market of $30 2xLPs will crash

If you only listen to music like La Dispute and the Wonder Years, yeah.

The only reason 90% of new collectors "collect" to get likes on tumblr/instagram. Once people stop liking their pics, they'll stop buying and the whole market of $30 2xLPs will crash

This is an awfully pretentious post considering that this same forum helps contribute ideas to the monthly Instagram "record a day" campaigns.