Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition

Totally uncomparable IMO

yeah i had a real apples to oranges moment there

Wait, really?  How?

It's not like we're comparing ambient to post-metal.  Both are (solid) post-rock groups with similar setups and instruments.  A lot of people seemed to gripe that Sines was too short - especially for the 8 year gap between it and Solace - but even so, there's such a greater variety of tracks and atmosphere on it.  I think that says a lot in itself.  The strings really enrich the record's palette as well, in my opinion.  Red Forest just kind of... meanders.  I think it pales in comparison to the S/T and ATEBTS; both of which feature far more interesting songwriting, riffs, and pacing.

I was introduced to this band and record (Sines) by a local show in the local university radio station last week. Along my 20+ years of listening rock/hardcore/punk/indie music I've never had the custom of putting any album on repeat, but this has been definitely the exception. This album seems SO short like somebody else posted before.

I have the feeling this album will change the way I listen to any music from now on. With that said, I just bought this record on vinyl. I can't wait to listen to it how it's supposed to be, especially Magna Carta and Resolve, Harmonia and Resolve. Those three tracks completely blew me away.

That's so cool university radio is still a viable outlet in the days of internet! 

I was in college in the 80s and Guilford College in NC always had the best indie/underground discoveries, and I was listening almost exclusively to old prog then.

I haven't spun the new pressing of Sines /100 -the Black is working just fine :)

staying out the ITTCT/Jakob discussion haha

I ordered a copy of Solace from Graveface right when they offered up the extras to record club members. I got an email the other day noting that as they were packing the order they noticed some heavy scratches on one of the discs and had to refund me. Kind of a bummer. :(

Didn't the mention a repress was going to happen eventually or was that wishful thinking on my part?

I'm glad I was able to grab this and ITTCT.  I've slacked on picking them up previous times (I'm guessing due to low funds).

I ordered a copy of Solace from Graveface right when they offered up the extras to record club members. I got an email the other day noting that as they were packing the order they noticed some heavy scratches on one of the discs and had to refund me. Kind of a bummer. :(

I got my copy last week and had to return it, pretty major scratches & gouges on the second disc. Good thing the repress is coming.

• 2 months later...

It's finally happening !!! Cale:Drew and Subsets Of Sets on wax

Rejoice Jakob fans, the time is drawing nearer! Production has begun on the LONG-overdue vinyl pressings of these two legendary full lengths. Pre-orders & pressing info will be announced soon - get ready!!

We have also finally done a 3rd pressing of Sines. You can pre-order that monster in mid-July.

• Derek™ changed the title to Jakob Thread: LP5 Hype Edition