I bet they're getting a lot of cancellation #vibes right now.  It would be interesting to see how many subscribers they lose after the initial shipment, I bet it's high.

The sad truth remains, if VNYL goes under and has no subsribers he still got the money to open a brick and mortar shop in a popular location. Apparently none of the 36,000 was used for the store, which I find extremely hard to believe.  

The debate about his intentions are shocking: He took nothing but dollar bin shit that is at least 30 years old and passed it off as something anyone would buy. They are all $1.99 records for a reason - no one will pay shit for them.

Put it plain: this was a scam to take advantage of the sudden popularity in Vinyl. There is no debate, this guy is an asshole and I hope he is lurking to read this. 

That isn't really a get rich quick scheme though. The service had the potential to be more of a money-maker.

Recurring revenue is where it is at right now, which is why you're seeing more things adopt a subscription model. I still think a curated monthly delivery service is an sound (and profitable) idea, provided they get the curation aspect right. I'd maybe try one out if it looked promising. 

But, so far, the problem has been two-fold. First, curation can be really, really, tricky, even with algorithmic help. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, everyone starting these types of services seem like complete fucking morons. 

The sad truth remains, if VNYL goes under and has no subsribers he still got the money to open a brick and mortar shop in a popular location. Apparently none of the 36,000 was used for the store, which I find extremely hard to believe.  

I do too, but who knows.  Dude seems like a turd all around.

I wonder what #vibes are being played at the VNYL office today, I'd imagine either #ShitStorm or #GoingUnder. 

The best part is seeing the Instagram for the company with all the new records in store and the major house party opening night, imagine seeing that and then opening up a roughed up Uriah Heep record. I can only imagine the hand curating goes something like: "Huh, dance party. Meh, just throw in the first three from the pile and make something up that seems like you tried". Nice to see his Polaroid budget is in tact too, cause you know it adds to the #vibe. 

I think there's a good idea in here somewhere. But music is so subjective, and you're basically paying for the "curating", not the vinyl itself. As it's been mentioned, there's really no way to do this right at this price point. I would never root for failure for someone's effort, but i believe there is a way to do this right, and some of you have made some good suggestions. I hope they read this thread and understand that it's in their best interest to adjust the model. 

That isn't really a get rich quick scheme though. The service had the potential to be more of a money-maker.

Recurring revenue is where it is at right now, which is why you're seeing more things adopt a subscription model. I still think a curated monthly delivery service is an sound (and profitable) idea, provided they get the curation aspect right. I'd maybe try one out if it looked promising. 

But, so far, the problem has been two-fold. First, curation can be really, really, tricky, even with algorithmic help. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, everyone starting these types of services seem like complete fucking morons. 

With Kickstarter and the like any idiot can come up with a fashionable but badly researched and thought out idea that at first glance looks good which can be marketed very easily to millions, this means you can draw in a huge initial influx of cash but when the flaws are very publicly exposed it crashes and burns also very publicly. In the days before Kickstarter etc. These sorts of idea's would crash and burn without making too much of a ripple and no one would really notice if they even got anywhere near off the ground because the marketing costs to get it out to enough people to make it pay were huge.

I think the biggest two flaws with this one though is that it was sold as a rental service which is probably illegal in the US for records and which is why everyone gets to keep the records and why he now can't afford to send out better records, and second he is sending out bargain bin rubbish for a pretty hefty price hike, I know there's one born every minute but it can't take that long to work out you're being sent utter cack and ripped off.

As far as curation goes Discogs does a pretty good job of suggesting things I should try and doesn't charge me for the privilege.

What surprises me the most is he thought he was the first person to ever think about "netflix but for records". He thinks in the past 50 years, he is the only one that came up with this idea. Why do you think that Columbia House and the like sold the tapes, records, and cds and not rent them? Why did we have movie rental stores and not music rental stores? Cause it is fucking illegal to do so, he is just the first idiot to not research it before funding his idea. But bravo on him for selling dollar bin stuff for 24 bucks a month, and opening a store where he can pay $.05 for the records and sell them for $24.