Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

I think they are the 2nd most gimmicky release each year :P the 1st being the mystery 7"

Hey man, I respectfully disagree. :P

Some I like, some I don't.  I think it's more of a gimmick when the songs are already available elsewhere (like the Dino Jr. / The Cure one), much better when the cover is previously unavailable (either on vinyl or all together).

Good point. I like it when the matchups are weird (case in point Grandmaster Flash/Stiff Little Fingers), but I think the best part is that they're a good (and relatively cheap, compared to blind-buying an LP) way to expose people to new music. Like, I'm sure some Pantera fans heard Poison Idea for the first time from their Side By Side last year, etc. 

I'm not going to lie, I think these could be really cool. Gimmicky- yes.

I bought last year's because I was curious to see what it was like.

Turned out to be Rush and somebody else. I'm okay with Rush.

It would be cool if it was always somehow related to the Ambassador. Like Foo Fighters covering Scream or Nirvanna or some shit.

That would be really cool. I'll probably pick up the mystery one this year just to see who it is, maybe discover some new music. That should be the point of RSD, I think.

So - gimmicky? Maybe. Clogging up pressing plants? Debatable. I think they're cool. I wish they came in real sleeves though, 'cause I read that those PVC ones really fuck up vinyl over time.

I'm confused

I thought the list was out

http://modern-vinyl.com/2015/03/12/rsd-2015-animal-collective-releasing-prospect-hummer-on-vinyl/

What's this? This wasn't on the list. Are there more?

it's on the uk list http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/rsd-2015/animal-collective.aspx

I wonder what happens to leftover stock that never gets ordered from record stores? Like if a release is a total run of 1000, and the orders from the record stores throughout the entire country only equal 600, what happens to the remaining stock?

I know the record store I go to has a bin of past RSD releases, but I'm talking about ones that were never ordered.

I live in the UK and will be one of the first, if not the first, into my local record shop this RSD (3rd last year).

If there is anyone in the US looking for any particular Europe only releases I'd be willing to get them and trade for some US only releases.

Let me know if this would interest you :)

I wonder what happens to leftover stock that never gets ordered from record stores? Like if a release is a total run of 1000, and the orders from the record stores throughout the entire country only equal 600, what happens to the remaining stock?

I know the record store I go to has a bin of past RSD releases, but I'm talking about ones that were never ordered.

I'm not certain, but some artists put some up online pretty quickly. Conor Oberst still has a 7" from last year and a 7" from RSDBF in his webstore. They both popped up a few days after the fact. I'm willing to bet those are the ones the stores never ordered.

I live in the UK and will be one of the first, if not the first, into my local record shop this RSD (3rd last year).

If there is anyone in the US looking for any particular Europe only releases I'd be willing to get them and trade for some US only releases.

Let me know if this would interest you :)

I require a Leatherface box set. Please and thank you.

Not sure how true it is, but the guy at my store says sometimes he doesn't get all of what he ordered (which makes sense) but gets stuff he didn't order as well

I really hope Placebo is released in the US, that's pretty much my only must get besides the Metallica tape and the Foo 10".

I, too, would love their early stuff.

I'm going to try and be strong this year. My current list is as followed:

- Deja Entendu

- Miles Davis Prestigue Box Set Vol. 2

- Otis Blue: Otis Reading Sings Soul