PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

So, last night was absolutely incredible. Got to hang with Philip and Forbes before the show. We all talked music, Caspian, records, etc. over beers and cigs. Laughing our asses off and talking business. All I can say is that I got a lot of insider info, and I'm excited for Caspian's future. Not only that, but I love and respect those dudes 10x more now.

The highlight of the evening was that they played The Raven and dedicated it to me. Phil came up to me after and hugged me, and told me it was for me. I'm still speechless about it. It's a hefty thought to process one of your favorite bands playing a song they really don't play anymore and have them dedicate it to you; heavy.

Talked to Philip about Nirvana / Foo / Dave / Kurt at the end of the night for a good 20 minutes, so you can imagine how happy I was about that. Haha.

Lastly, because of him I'll be one step closer to completing my Caspian collection from him offering me his personal copy. I won't say which one, but I'm sure you die hard Caspian fans know what I'm talking about. He also gave me a cable that he had been using since Waking Season. So that's badass.

That is such a great story, so happy for you Matt!!

I've had a quite similar experience a couple years ago with one of my favorite bands back then. I'm bored at work so I'll tell the story real quick:

There was this german punk/indie band called Muff Potter that a couple friends and I were totally obsessed with. We've seen them play 20+ times in a span of 4-5 years. One of the first shows we've been to was at a small 3 day festival. They played on the last day and it wouldn't stop raining three days straight, so everything was soaking wet and the only clothes that we had left were white bathrobes. We all shared a favorite song of theirs that they never had played, so during every set we went to we'd take every break between songs to sing the chorus of that song, wearing our bathrobes. We made a thing out of it, going to see them play, wearing bath robes, singing that song. 

A couple years later, farewell tour, we've been to four dates, seeing them play, doing our thing. On the last date of that tour, after the second encore, we were just about to leave, when the singer of that band came back on stage, wearing a white bathrobe, singing OUR song, to US. The whole band joined in, looking at us, playing the song that we were longing for for years. We talked to them afterwards and they told us how they never rehearsed the song until shortly before that show and even bought a Melodica (and a bathrobe) to be able to play it for us.

It was a mind blowing experience, having your favorite band do something special, genuine and unique for you. Makes it all worth it.

There was this german punk/indie band called Muff Potter that a couple friends and I were totally obsessed with. We've seen them play 20+ times in a span of 4-5 years. One of the first shows we've been to was at a small 3 day festival. They played on the last day and it wouldn't stop raining three days straight, so everything was soaking wet and the only clothes that we had left were white bathrobes. We all shared a favorite song of theirs that they never had played, so during every set we went to we'd take every break between songs to sing the chorus of that song, wearing our bathrobes. We made a thing out of it, going to see them play, wearing bath robes, singing that song. 

A couple years later, farewell tour, we've been to four dates, seeing them play, doing our thing. On the last date of that tour, after the second encore, we were just about to leave, when the singer of that band came back on stage, wearing a white bathrobe, singing OUR song, to US. The whole band joined in, looking at us, playing the song that we were longing for for years. We talked to them afterwards and they told us how they never rehearsed the song until shortly before that show and even bought a Melodica (and a bathrobe) to be able to play it for us.

Haha, awesome! Now that's a story!!!

It was pretty cool to bring the YATC Test Press because none of the guys have ever seen it. So they were all amazed by it. Pretty cool to share a pressing of theirs that they have never seen before.

Sounds like an epic night, man. This might be a dumb question, but why wouldn't they have ever seen that release?

I kind of always assumed bands had to give an okay on stuff like that, especially if it was a test press?

Sounds like an epic night, man. This might be a dumb question, but why wouldn't they have ever seen that release?

I kind of always assumed bands had to give an okay on stuff like that, especially if it was a test press?

The label gives the ok on test presses, not the band. Some labels run it by the band or give them some, some don't.

It was also a special release that Charlie did the cover art for. Thing is gorgeous. Matt should post a picture ;). I think he won it from Mylene also. The dudes were stoaked to see it.

Yesterday I got 2 of the 4 copies ordered till now, so I'm finally listening to the whole thing now (staying on hold till now wasn't easy at all, expecially following this thread).

I managed to have the afternoon free and I'm now at my 5th listen in a row.

Separation No. 2 picks up were Hymn had left and it's a perfect introduction to the new album.

I really like how the songwriting of the band has evolved, exploring new territories, using instruments like piano, cello, violin and some real vocals, playing songs like Run Dry, totally unexpected for me but very deep and mature as if they were doing it for years. A perfect transition in the album development.

But songs like Arcs Of Command, Echo And Abyss and Darkfield are the ones that elevate the album to the real next level in my opinion. 

Rìoseco, Sad Heart Of Mine and Dust And Disquiet are phenomenal and astonishing tracks too.

I'm the only one who finds a lot of Mogwai in a few songs?

After Weaking Season is not easy to expect something that goes beyond that level like this album does.

It reveals the work of the band on it along the last two/three years and that's the result. Impressive.

This is in my 2015 top 5 albums for sure.

The clear/black german exclusive variant sounds huge, very clean and deep sound, no noises at all.

The BSM black with silver splatter sounds very good too but I heard a few noises here and there, probably after a good clean it will be ok.

Can't wait to get my hands on the signed tour copy forbenator got for me and on the Newbury variant, they're both en route to me and should arrive soon.

In november I'll finally have the pleasure to see them live for the first time.

Thanks, everybody! I knew all of you would understand how much all of it meant to me. A few people in this thread have evolved that love of Caspian (they know who they are) as well as have helped fill in holes in my collection; I cherish that.

It was pretty cool to bring the YATC Test Press because none of the guys have ever seen it. So they were all amazed by it. Pretty cool to share a pressing of theirs that they have never seen before.

I've been busy with my new human, but I lurk every so often. This account is why I love music and support the bands I love.

Congrats dude. 

Fingers crossed I will be able to listen for the first time tonight. Those darn kiddos make it hard to listen to a record all the way through sometimes. Speaking of kids...

My son snuck into our room where my records and turntable are and he grabbed Brand New's "Daisy" off the shelf. He then proceeded to take the record out of the jacket and sleeve and then put it on the turntable. He turned on my amp, the turntable power, and the start button and set the needle on the record. Keep in mind he just turned 3 years old yesterday. My most proud moment as a dad for sure. I know it's not Caspian related but a lot of my VC dad friends are in this thread.

Yeah, that's pretty fantastic. Expect nothing less from Charlie Wagers. 

This is how test presses should always be done. All of mine suck haha.

Once I get moved in and settled after my wedding I'll be starting up making test jackets again. I'd be happy to help you replace those ones you don't like if you wanted. 

Damn, that's a cool-looking release.

I just always assumed the band wanted to listen to a test press to give the okay before sending them off. At least I know Aaron Turner from Isis does that... I remember reading somewhere he rejected the first test of the new Sumac album.

Aaron = SIGE and HydraHead 

Damn, that's a cool-looking release.

I just always assumed the band wanted to listen to a test press to give the okay before sending them off. At least I know Aaron Turner from Isis does that... I remember reading somewhere he rejected the first test of the new Sumac album.

It's not that Caspian never heard the test pressing; what I'm saying is that they have never seen the screen print for it. Petter Sevaldsen was selected by The Mylene Sheath community in 2013 for his entry in the 'Test Pressing Contest' to redesign Caspian's You Are The Conductor artwork -- exclusively to be used for the jacket housing the Test Pressings.

The Caspian guys have never seen the Tertia test press in a sleeve before I showed them mine...was kinda strange :D

My son snuck into our room where my records and turntable are and he grabbed Brand New's "Daisy" off the shelf. He then proceeded to take the record out of the jacket and sleeve and then put it on the turntable. He turned on my amp, the turntable power, and the start button and set the needle on the record. Keep in mind he just turned 3 years old yesterday. My most proud moment as a dad for sure. I know it's not Caspian related but a lot of my VC dad friends are in this thread.

He should have made a vinyl bowl out of it! :P

aw. this makes me miss the old days of the sheath forums, PO parties and just good times.

This x 1.000.000! :(

Aaron = SIGE and HydraHead

I know that; I guess I hadn't ever considered he was doing it in that capacity before. I think of him as the guitar player from Isis first, label exec 2nd.

It's not that Caspian never heard the test pressing; what I'm saying is that they have never seen the screen print for it. Petter Sevaldsen was selected by The Mylene Sheath community in 2013 for his entry in the 'Test Pressing Contest' to redesign Caspian's You Are The Conductor artwork -- exclusively to be used for the jacket housing the Test Pressings.

That makes more sense, knowing that story. It just seemed super weird to me that a band wouldn't have ever seen one of its own releases.

Do the test presses ever sound much different than the regular releases?