PO: NOW! - Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (9/25/15)

So?

It really was something else.. Amazing set, quiet and appreciate crowd, great sound. Such a wonderful evening. Plus allegedly a Caspian-first timer: They came back for a second encore after Sycamore and played Fire Made Flesh. Philip introduced it with the words: 'This is probably the first time ever we're playing a song after THAT song'. They had to get rid of all the drums standing around to have some space to play it. Seriously great.

Edit:

Darkfield

Echo & Abyss

Of Foam & Wave

Rioseco

The Dove

ASA

Halls Of The Summer

Gone In Bloom & Bough

Arcs Of Command

Encore:

Sycamore

Encore 2:

Fire Made Flesh

It really was something else.. Amazing set, quiet and appreciate crowd, great sound. Such a wonderful evening. Plus allegedly a Caspian-first timer: They came back for a second encore after Sycamore and played Fire Made Flesh. Philip introduced it with the words: 'This is probably the first time ever we're playing a song after THAT song'. They had to get rid of all the drums standing around to have some space to play it. Seriously great.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know if they gave away that D&D test press? They said any order from their web store and/or Hobbledehoy was entered. Is it just supposed to show up with some random order? Or are they announcing winners?

I still have yet to receive my Hobbledehoy variant because I'm stupid and selected Sea Mail haha. Probably lost in the damn ocean somewhere. That would be the case if I won a test & it was included.

Does anyone know if they gave away that D&D test press? They said any order from their web store and/or Hobbledehoy was entered. Is it just supposed to show up with some random order? Or are they announcing winners?

I still have yet to receive my Hobbledehoy variant because I'm stupid and selected Sea Mail haha. Probably lost in the damn ocean somewhere. That would be the case if I won a test & it was included.

Not sure about the TP, but you all know you have to give it to me if you win, right? ; )

Jk.

Oh, wow. Air mail was 2-3 weeks. What was sea again, 4-6? I would shoot them a message just asking general details of when they sent them out. Not sure if sea mail has tracking (I never do it, in fear that it'll be a Tom Hanks, and get deserted on an island).

Edit:

Darkfield

Echo & Abyss

Of Foam & Wave

Rioseco

The Dove

ASA

Halls Of The Summer

Gone In Bloom & Bough

Arcs Of Command

Encore:

Sycamore

Encore 2:

Fire Made Flesh

These guys REALLY need to bite the bullet and "grow up" so-to-speak, and enter the land of 2-set shows. I mean, Phish... Rush, the Grateful Dead offshoots, Primus, even old death metal bands like Nile are finally getting the clue.

There is just TOO much tremendous music being neglected here.

I mean, I know I wouldn't have ANY issue dropping $25-$40 to see 2.5 hours of Caspian. Could you imagine?

Spun this album twice at work today, though. What a masterpiece. It's such a different thing for them, with the regular vocals and a lot of more chill, low-key slow burn-y songs.

These guys REALLY need to bite the bullet and "grow up" so-to-speak, and enter the land of 2-set shows. I mean, Phish... Rush, the Grateful Dead offshoots, Primus, even old death metal bands like Nile are finally getting the clue.

There is just TOO much tremendous music being neglected here.

I mean, I know I wouldn't have ANY issue dropping $25-$40 to see 2.5 hours of Caspian. Could you imagine?

Spun this album twice at work today, though. What a masterpiece. It's such a different thing for them, with the regular vocals and a lot of more chill, low-key slow burn-y songs.

They usually play 90 - 120 minutes. I don't think that is anything to complain about considering they only charge like $10-12 a ticket. It's all about quality, not quantity. Caspian creates a warm, rich atmosphere with their music. I don't think there is really anything to complain about. Two and a half hours shows are pretty rough, not only on the band, but the audience. I think 90 - 120 minutes is the sweet spot for both. Not only that, but Caspian are showmen. They don't do the studio version of their song, but a live version, which in most cases is extended. Sycamore for example usually gets a whole 4 extra minutes put on it; breaking off and bringing out a piece of the drum kit for each member to slowly start playing on (that's fucking showmanship and talent right there) - that build up is insatiable).

I highly doubt Caspian would even want to charge over $20 for a show, let alone $45. That's just insane. Besides, bands get most of their money from merch. Most of the ticket money goes to house.

As far as what you think is being neglected, they rotate a lot of material in their catalog. I talked to Phil about the whole process, and it's quit intimate. What they play also depends on what equipment they have with them. They can only play so much depending on who is our tour with them, and what equipment they have.

I love Caspian just they way they are: $12 for 90-120 minutes of extremely poetic, and crafted material. I get to hang with my friends, and soak it all up. They put on a show so great you feel like you are the only way there, like they're playing just for you. That's the way they have always been, and I don't see that changing.

If you want $40 of post rock, go see an EITS show. Caspian isn't that band. They will never be that band.

They usually play 90 - 120 minutes. I don't think that is anything to complain about considering they only charge like $10-12 a ticket. It's all about quality, not quantity. Caspian creates a warm, rich atmosphere with their music. I don't think there is really anything to complain about. Two and a half hours shows are pretty rough, not only on the band, but the audience. I think 90 - 120 minutes is the sweet spot for both. Not only that, but Caspian are showmen. They don't do the studio version of their song, but a live version, which in most cases is extended. Sycamore for example usually gets a whole 4 extra minutes put on it; breaking off and bringing out a piece of the drum kit for each member to slowly start playing on (that's fucking showmanship and talent right there) - that build up is insatiable).

I highly doubt Caspian would even want to charge over $20 for a show, let alone $45. That's just insane. Besides, bands get most of their money from merch. Most of the ticket money goes to house.

As far as what you think is being neglected, they rotate a lot of material in their catalog. I talked to Phil about the whole process, and it's quit intimate. What they play also depends on what equipment they have with them. They can only play so much depending on who is our tour with them, and what equipment they have.

I love Caspian just they way they are: $12 for 90-120 minutes of extremely poetic, and crafted material. I get to hang with my friends, and soak it all up. They put on a show so great you feel like you are the only way there, like they're playing just for you. That's the way they have always been, and I don't see that changing.

If you want $40 of post rock, go see an EITS show. Caspian isn't that band. They will never be that band.

Yeah I get what you're saying, I think the problem is that for the longest time, I was only seeing Phish and other jambands who play 3 hour, 2-set shows, and that's just my norm now. When I see other bands now, its lie "alright! First sets over, lets take a break and.... oh wait. Fuck."

I just want more, haha. I have no doubt about their ability to deliver quantity AND quality.

That's the art of the 2-set show, though. You craft the setlist to cater to that format. So you don't necessarily go balls to the wall right out of the gate.

Its just funny how people's backgrounds differ in how they approach things. Like, for me, when you say Sycamore gets 4 extra minutes, I half think to myself "That's it?" Haha, only because when Phish takes things out, I'm ready to dance for 20 minutes or more. They did a 37-minute version of their song Tweezer back in 2013 that is one of the greatest live achievements they've ever accomplished, with whole distinct sections and movements and catchy melodies and somehow, the entire thing never loses steam. Its bonkers. I would love it if Caspian did live jams like that, really stretching grooves out and seeing what they can come up with. Like, "Sad Heart of Mine" could totally be 10 minutes, and that would rule.

But that's because we have different backgrounds, and are kind of accustomed to different things as far as concerts go.

As far as rotation of the songs, could you elaborate a little more on that? I'd love to know what he said (if there's more to it than what you posted).

I mean, I really only know that I bugged them about adding Loft to the setlist on Facebook and Phil said they'd do it, and then I was the asshole who couldn't even get to a show. I feel like I just blew my chance at seeing that tune because I couldn't get work off for any of the dates.

Yeah I get what you're saying, I think the problem is that for the longest time, I was only seeing Phish and other jambands who play 3 hour, 2-set shows, and that's just my norm now. When I see other bands now, its lie "alright! First sets over, lets take a break and.... oh wait. Fuck."

I just want more, haha. I have no doubt about their ability to deliver quantity AND quality.

That's the art of the 2-set show, though. You craft the setlist to cater to that format. So you don't necessarily go balls to the wall right out of the gate.

Its just funny how people's backgrounds differ in how they approach things. Like, for me, when you say Sycamore gets 4 extra minutes, I half think to myself "That's it?" Haha, only because when Phish takes things out, I'm ready to dance for 20 minutes or more. They did a 37-minute version of their song Tweezer back in 2013 that is one of the greatest live achievements they've ever accomplished, with whole distinct sections and movements and catchy melodies and somehow, the entire thing never loses steam. Its bonkers. I would love it if Caspian did live jams like that, really stretching grooves out and seeing what they can come up with. Like, "Sad Heart of Mine" could totally be 10 minutes, and that would rule.

But that's because we have different backgrounds, and are kind of accustomed to different things as far as concerts go.

As far as rotation of the songs, could you elaborate a little more on that? I'd love to know what he said (if there's more to it than what you posted).

I mean, I really only know that I bugged them about adding Loft to the setlist on Facebook and Phil said they'd do it, and then I was the asshole who couldn't even get to a show. I feel like I just blew my chance at seeing that tune because I couldn't get work off for any of the dates.

A 37 minute jam in the middle of a set sound fucking terrible.

A 37 minute jam in the middle of a set sound fucking terrible.

Agreed. I don't mind a few minute jam here and there like Portugal. The Man does, but a set of all jams like The Mars Volta used to do is terrible.

I can't really do more than 90 minutes. It's enough for a perfect live experience. Among the worst things I've ever seen live were The Mars Volta in 05 during their Frances tour. 2 hours of fucking aimless jamming. 20 minutes in I was bored to death.

90 minutes is more than enough for most bands.  If I'm not totally engaged, I get a bit anxious for shows to be over past the 45-60 minute mark.

There might be enough drugs for it to not suck. But I'd probably die shortly after.

The best part was I took a nitrous hit so big that I couldn't hear the music for like 30 seconds.

Free ticket. Free drugs. Still terrible. I saw A bunch of people wearing shirts that said "David Bowie" so I was like "At least some of these people are ok" Nope. That's the name of a Phish song and phish fans wear t-shirts that say the names of phish songs. Horrible. Just awful.

The best part was I took a nitrous hit so big that I couldn't hear the music for like 30 seconds.

Free ticket. Free drugs. Still terrible. I saw A bunch of people wearing shirts that said "David Bowie" so I was like "At least some of these people are ok" Nope. That's the name of a Phish song and phish fans wear t-shirts that say the names of phish songs. Horrible. Just awful.

Still not worth it. I don't understand how someone can enjoy Phish, but to each their own.

Holy fuck people are stupid.